[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

El debarge back in rehab

El DeBarge has checked himself into rehab and will not be a part of the tour featuring Ledisi & KEM. He will be replaced by Music Soulchild. Keep him in your prayers as he battles these demons.

I swear kicking these drugs must be one of the hardest things in the world to do. El you will make it.

Yes, so glad that chocolate and music are my only addictions...I photographed his listening party here in Detroit and e was a great guy...I'm pulling for you El

I just dont understand.He was just happy and healthy hugging Anita baker at her ST Tribute..Those drugs must b still calling him

Its a daily struggle. Good for him that he is seeking help before it gets totally out of hand and he loses everything again.

smark21 Guest
    Being on a road as a touring artist and a recovering addict must be extremely tough road to weather.

Add to it making money and people "loving you" again. I am happy that he is seeking treatment for it.

Add to it making money and people "loving you" again.
    Well what did he back 4..For people to hate em..He should b stronger that that by now

Quote Originally Posted by abfan View Post
    Well what did he back 4..For people to hate em..He should b stronger that that by now
    I don't think you understand what I meant. Those people out there do not love him for him as a person because they do not KNOW him. How many of them wrote him words of encouragement while he was prison? Not many at all according to his mother. The people that love you are your family and true friends. That is what I meant. Too many celebrities get that confused. I hear today Charlie Sheen basically bragging about smoking crack on some radio program. I also know his father has completely distance himself from him.

Sure El should be stronger than that by now and I am sure he thought so too which is probably why he had a relapse. You understand what that means? He probably felt that getting high now every once in a while would not hurt, it's not like before getting high everyday. He's human and can and will make mistakes. I am happy he's getting help now.

We have never walked in EL DEBARGE'S shoes,hang on in there,my brother.
    Please stay positive
    Last edited by REDHOT; 02-17-2011 at 10:26 AM.

I was so impressed with his interview and performance on THE VIEW. I really thought he had it together and was ready to put himself out there again even though many temptations are in his business. In the interview and in the song, he asked for a second chance. Perhaps he asked for the second chance too soon. He did seek help. Addictions can be evil. Hope he is given a third chance.

topdiva1 Guest
    This is just so sad to hear. We all hope the best for him - he is a great person with a big struggle ahead,

Stay positive.

Damn..........At least he checked himself in ,which means he is not denying he has a problem. Thats a good first step. I'm praying for the brother. Walk a mile.

Aside from the actual addiction, those who benefitted from from the situation [[free drugs, taking advantage financially) don't want to see the addict recover. It is KEY to recognize and distance yourself from those who don't have your best interest at heart....and that could be family or "friend". And for those that DON'T know, El has had a very hard time dealing with the death of his brother [[yeah,,,all these years later)....and if he can't get a handle on that, self-medication will always be a phone call away. I'm glad he's seeking help & I hope they treat more than the disease itself.

Anyway...El missed an L.A. gig last Thursday night as well....but Ledisi and Rochelle Ferrell filled in and kicked serious ass !!

I learned a long time ago that "deliverance comes through recognition." It is a good thing that El recognizes that a problem still exists, so that he can be delivered from it, and I totally agree with 1wicked when he says: "aside from the actual addiction, thos who benefitted from the situation [[free drugs, being taken advantaged of financially, etc.) don't want to see the addict recover."
    There are far too many people who have met their demise at the hands of "well wishers."
    So my prayer for El is that he continue to seek help and never take his "eye off the prize" which is total recovery.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tallone View Post
    I learned a long time ago that "deliverance comes through recognition." It is a good thing that El recognizes that a problem still exists, so that he can be delivered from it, and I totally agree with 1wicked when he says: "aside from the actual addiction, thos who benefitted from the situation [[free drugs, being taken advantaged of financially, etc.) don't want to see the addict recover."
    There are far too many people who have met their demise at the hands of "well wishers."
    So my prayer for El is that he continue to seek help and never take his "eye off the prize" which is total recovery.

I agree with you on this. I am hopeful and believe that El did the right thing to seek help fast. El is on the rise again and hopefully he will continue - he was so missed and embraced upon his return.

I am certain that most wish him well. And sadly, just as sure that some - hopefully - just a few don't. How small of them.

Prove them wrong EL!!!!!!!!!!!

I think one of the reasons El was able to go back to rehab and realize his problem so quickly is because of his family and faith in God. Charlie Sheen's father was always there for him but he is such a train wreck now I wonder what will happen to him. Booze, sex, and abuse is Charlies rap sheet. Marv I hope its not true that Martin Sheen has abandoned him because he was always there in the other three episodes Charlie had when he almost died and overdosed.

Addict's never are recovered or cured of the addictions. They just learn to control it. It is a hard process. Sadly, PARADE
    Magazine, which is an addition to many Sunday papers throughout the country, had a piece on him this past Sunday,
    Walter Scott's Personality Parade--he is quoted "Drugs steal your life". "God gave me a second chance, I had to take it".
    I wish him well on this tough battle.
    How long was he in prison and when/where?
    I know he is now 49.

Why are many assuming he fell off the wagon? Perhaps he is being proactive. He should be applauded for that instead of folks feeling sorry for him.

I too am glad that el checked himself in,but he should just get away from the industry completely for a time and really take a good hard look at who's around him and weed out the worms in his life[i know it's not easy]before he thinks about coming back again,is his mother living or some family member that's not gonna mince words but tell him what he needs to hear and pull no punches that's what he needs,not the leeches...hang on el you are a great artist-hang on.

topdiva1 Guest
    This was a good move on the part of the people working with DeBarge - to check El back in REHAB for help before the situation got out of control - early detection is helpful - though I would hardly call El's staff and people working for him leeches and worms.