[REMOVE ADS]

Since no one else is talking about it...

Ive been watching the grammys and caught Aretha's cameo. She looked and sounded great.

As for the performances, the Aretha tribute was very good. So far my favorite has been Janelle Monae and Bruno Mars! I was already a far weather fan but he killed it tonight! Which once again proves that when they want to, people from the younger generation can throw down musically!

Anyone other thoughts?

Thought Christina did well on one of my all time faves, "Aint No Way"..... It's cool watching with my dual arbiters of cool. They sing along to everything.

They clapped politely after RESPECT....but leapt to their feet and sang along to Yolanda Adam's rendition of Spirit in the Dark. I had no idea they loved that song so much.

Speaking of personal faves......my younger grand, the fam rock and rockabilly expert and bass singer, was ecstatic that her fave rock group, Muse, won. She turned me onto them....and PrincessD and myself were floored when Esperanza Spaulding [[hat tip to MsM) walked off with best new artist. I remember when she played her version of Overjoyed every day when she got in from school

On the flip, Dylan almost ruined one of our fave Dylan tunes, Maggie's Farm....by "singing".

So far my favorite has been Janelle Monae and Bruno Mars! I was already a far weather fan but he killed it tonight!>>>>>> I think this was the best performance of the whole night and it reminded me of the talent we used to see. Sorry Eminem was great but when Mick Jagger came out and did the tribute to Solomon Burke my heart fluttered.

Aretha tribute was well planned and they picked the right singers, Ms Aguilera reedeemed her self tonight and Florence of the Machine had a much better voice than I had anticipated. John Mayer looked like something was wrong he was barely playing his guitar with Norah Jones and Keith Urban. My fave group of country music Lady Antebellum won a well deserved award they have hit out of the park like Sugarland did a few years ago. I knew this group like Rascal Flatts would be famous.

I thought Aretha looked great and I was thinking Yolanda would break out into Amazing Grace but she did Spirit in the Dark. My dissapointing moment was anything with Hilary Swank looking Justin Bieber in it I hate to look at him Im sorry and Usher just doesnt do it for me anymore. I love the way you lie is not a bad song but Rihanna is not someone I would pay to see or hear. Not one of the worst shows actually it seems like music is getting a little better.
    Katie Perry was pleasant to listen to and Ms Gaga is always a sight Im glad she can sing although she reminds me so much of Madonna its hard to not see her as a clone of such.

My three favorite moments from tonights show. The Aretha Franklin Tribute was very nice and it was so good to see Aretha and that she is doing well. Barbara Striestand, still sounding good and Mick Jagger's tribute to Solomon Burke..........Mick RULES!!!! LOL!

As usual, the Lady Gaga performance was so synthetic and contrived that it was almost painful to watch. I actually got up in the middle of the performance to unload the dish washer. In other words, menial chores were more interesting than Lady Gaga.

Christina Aguilera clearly made up for whatever shortcomings were present in the Super Bowl performance. "Ain't No Way" was a perfect vehicle for her. Definitely a highlight.

Aretha definitely looks good.

miss_lish Guest
    Mick stole the show!

Well ....Ms Aguilera did redeem her self tonight , and although I also expected Ms Adams to do "Amazing Grace" but she did "Spirit in the Dark" ,which I always associate in my mind the Ray Charles/Aretha version ,but I can see why the producers chose "Spirit" for her ,since it is an Aretha original. Ms Hudson...she's looking good ,been through her ups and downs and I say God bless her ,but now it's time to get down to business and turn me out. She got the body and the voice ,now bring the goods ,make me believe in you baby.Ga Ga is the encarnation of the Maddona of the 2000's ,got to give it to her for the theatrics and creativity. Her statement re: Whitney ,had convinced me that her creativity is sincere and not just gimmick driven ,even though she is not my cup of tea ,I'm impressed by her work. Mick of course kicked, as I expected. Usher and Justin Bieber ,[[Obiwan and Luke ), more power to them ,big budget production of weak material , and I can't shake the feeling I get of Usher truely thinking he could be and trying to be as great as the Late Michael Jackson. That shiii just aint happening.

Mick Jagger and Janelle Monae made me go Gaga who, Justin who?

I enjoyed the tribute to ARETHA,and i must say,she looked great.
    Please stay positive

smark21 Guest
    Best moment was Esperanza Spaulding winning Best New Artist. I'd never heard of her before, but I always enjoy an upset and unlike Bieber, she's a real musician, jazz vocalist and bassist, she has no need for autotune or being mentored on how to give charismatic lipsynching performances by Usher.

Streisand can no longer hit the high notes and you can tell it's frustrating her. She's also had too much plastic surgery. Jagger still has it, but how many painkillers were injected into him before and after his performance?

Arcade Fire winning Album of the Year was a pleasant surprise as well as I thought Lady Antebellum was going to take it after they won several awards. And I like that Arcade Fire played another song after getting their award. Something like that should become required for some winners in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_lish View Post
    Mick stole the show!
    I can't believe I watched the entire show..
    I didn't know a lot of those damned people and I'm only in my thirties.

But leave it to a true veteran to deliver the best moment at the Grammys.
    However, I thought Mick Jagger's performance was less about Solomon Burke, but another high point for himself.
    The Aretha tribute was OK.
    Christina Aquilera did make up for last week's Superbowl flub, but she's still getting reemed by fans.

She was standing next to Jennifer Hudson, who looks great . Some fans tweeted: "Where did all of Jennifer's weight go? Oh, there it is on Christina."

Speaking of Jennifer, since she's lost weight and is breathing differently, does anyone else think she is sounding a bit too shrill and just screaming instead of belting?
    She sounds different since her weight loss. Singers do have a "singing weight" in which they sound better.

I noticed how the R&B and blues categories weren't even televised.
    Pity.

It was nice to see Gladys Horton mentioned in the In Memorium segment.

I don't get Lady Gaga either. She's got an OK voice, which she covers up with all this weirdness and theatrical stuff like semi-nude dancers and shrunken heads on a piano.
    I'm still wondering what the fuss is all about?

I'm glad Justin Bieber didn't win anything, ditto for Drake. They are contrived acts in my book. Drake is an actor from Canada, who was on DeGrassi High and now he's posing as a rapper; Bieber is the flavor on the month for the kids. He makes money, but he doesn't make serious music.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-14-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Anyone catch the 1 chorus tribute to Teddy Pendergrass....

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    I noticed that. Did Teddy P pass in 2010 or late 2009? And could the brief chorus have had something to do with him being left out of the memorium tribute?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I noticed that. Did Teddy P pass in 2010 or late 2009? And could the brief chorus have had something to do with him being left out of the memorium tribute?
    Teddy died in January 2010. Maybe they did paid tribute to him in last year's show but I can't remember.

Grammy

Many Blacks performed but did not win anything. Am I the only one that noticed that?

.....Speaking of Jennifer, since she's lost weight and is breathing differently, does anyone else think she is sounding a bit too shrill and just screaming instead of belting?
    She sounds different since her weight loss. Singers do have a "singing weight" in which they sound better....
    Jennifer looks great and seems happier these days..As for the change on her voice? It may not be a product of weight loss. More likely it could be the particular microphone's characteristic and/or how the sound engineer added EQ, compression, harmonic enhancement, etc. I tend to think it was more of the mike and sound mixing. The voices we hear on a studio recording, live show, or TV show are so heavily processed from the actual original sound that we really have little idea of what a singer TRULY sounds like in a natural unadulterated state....I would rather see her happy and healthy rather than trying to stay at a particular weight thinking it may make her sound "better."
    Last edited by marxthespot_; 02-14-2011 at 12:04 PM.

olamaebarto Guest
    I loved Gaga! She's wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by bjmingo View Post
    Many Blacks performed but did not win anything. Am I the only one that noticed that?
    Winners: Fantasia, Mavis Staples, BeBe & CeCe Winans, Usher, Jay Z, Alicia Keys, Rhianna, John Legend, The Roots, Herbie Hancock, Bruno Mars, Esperanza Spalding, Ce-Lo Green.

olamaebarto Guest
    Winners: Fantasia, Mavis Staples, BeBe & CeCe Winans, Usher, Jay Z, Alicia Keys, Rhianna, John Legend, The Roots, Herbie Hancock, Bruno Mars, Esperanza Spalding, Ce-Lo Green.
    Ooops!!!! And thank god Beaver didn't win.

A LOT of awards weren't televised. And that was not only R&B and gospel, most metal, rock, country and bluegrass weren't broadcasted either. It was just major awards.

An awards show with a number of significant awards not shown. That makes a lot of sense. Mick good but should have spoken more about the great Solomon Burke. I thought Streisand was way off her mark. Loved Aretha tribute. I think Jennifer voice is a bit different too. Any thoughts on Esperanza?

smark21 Guest
    Yeah, that was lame. And by Lady Antebellum, a group that performs rather bland country music.

smark21 Guest
    I didn't know a lot of those damned people and I'm only in my thirties.

But leave it to a true veteran to deliver the best moment at the Grammys.
    However, I thought Mick Jagger's performance was less about Solomon Burke, but another high point for himself.
    The Aretha tribute was OK.
    Christina Aquilera did make up for last week's Superbowl flub, but she's still getting reemed by fans.

She was standing next to Jennifer Hudson, who looks great . Some fans tweeted: "Where did all of Jennifer's weight go? Oh, there it is on Christina."

Speaking of Jennifer, since she's lost weight and is breathing differently, does anyone else think she is sounding a bit too shrill and just screaming instead of belting?
    She sounds different since her weight loss. Singers do have a "singing weight" in which they sound better.

I noticed how the R&B and blues categories weren't even televised.
    Pity.

It was nice to see Gladys Horton mentioned in the In Memorium segment.

I don't get Lady Gaga either. She's got an OK voice, which she covers up with all this weirdness and theatrical stuff like semi-nude dancers and shrunken heads on a piano.
    I'm still wondering what the fuss is all about?

I'm glad Justin Bieber didn't win anything, ditto for Drake. They are contrived acts in my book. Drake is an actor from Canada, who was on DeGrassi High and now he's posing as a rapper; Bieber is the flavor on the month for the kids. He makes money, but he doesn't make serious music.
    Lady Gaga has some very catchy pop songs and she's a performance artist who knows how to make an entrance and hold enough people's attentions. She's created a strong bond with her fans by making them feel they are a part of her career and her success.

Christina did better last night than at the Super Bowl, but she still has a lot of work to do on the oversinging. At times she sounds like a constipated woman trying to squeeze out some fesces that's been stuck inside for much too long. Yolanda Adams and Florence Welch were my faves in the Aretha tribute. I don't think Jennifer Hudson has much stage presence and I would think going to one of her concerts would be very dull after a song or two.

Justin Beiber fans are having meltdowns all over the internet, some going to such extremes as going on to Esperanda Spaulding's Wikipedia page and leaving derogatory remarks.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/esper...-of-bie,51778/

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    An awards show with a number of significant awards not shown. That makes a lot of sense. Mick good but should have spoken more about the great Solomon Burke. I thought Streisand was way off her mark. Loved Aretha tribute. I think Jennifer voice is a bit different too. Any thoughts on Esperanza?
    Don't know much about her, but after looking her up last night, she seems to be a talented singer and bassist. Though I was rooting for Mumford & Sons, I'm happy she won.

I didn't watch the show, but my understanding is that Johnny Maestro was left out of the 'In Memorium' segment...Shame on them!! :P

Anyone know if Bettye won the award for which she was nominated?

Best,

Mark

Bettye didn't win, unfortunately.

On the whole, I thought the show was pretty good. My favorite performer last night was Mick Jagger. I never cared much for his singing, but his energy more than makes up for any vocal shortcomings.

Loved Barbra, as always.

The Aretha tribute was pretty good. I wish they would have given Yolanda Adams a bit more time. It seemed like she was just getting warmed up when her spot was over. I must confess that Jennifer Hudson sounds the same to me as she always has. She's someone I can take on some songs. But often, she's rather shrill, IMO. I also thought Christina went over the top with AIN'T NO WAY. I think she has a voice, but she's almost painful to watch, with all the runs and so forth.

Thumbs up to Bruno Mars, Cee Lo Green, and Lady Antebellum. I hadn't heard of the latter before last night, but I really enjoyed their performance.
    Last edited by reese; 02-14-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Was working last night so I didn't get to see the show live. Then today, that's all everybody wanted to talk about. It's been a long time since a Grammy show has had that type of buzz around the folks I know.

Spaulding's win was curious on all kinds of levels. First of all the woman is amazing, young musician with a capital M. But I've known about her for several years now. See her live a half a dozen times already. Her first CD was released back in '08 so, "new artist" ?!! Not to the folks I hang with. Now as for the other people in that category, who, who and who?

The tribute to Aretha was marvelous. All of those women can SANG.
    Bruno Mars and Jannelle Monae were on fire. There's hope for a new generation of musicians who can bring it, live. The Cee lo piece was hilarious if only for how much the words have been changed.

Jeff Beck's CD won some well-deserved awards. So did Buddy Guy [[he'll be a happy camper this week) and the group of engineers that worked on The Beatles' remastering. That was really a well-earned win.

Once again Dylan leaves me flat and so does Lady's Gaga and Antib.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    So far my favorite has been Janelle Monae and Bruno Mars! I was already a far weather fan but he killed it tonight!>>>>>> I think this was the best performance of the whole night and it reminded me of the talent we used to see. Sorry Eminem was great but when Mick Jagger came out and did the tribute to Solomon Burke my heart fluttered.

Aretha tribute was well planned and they picked the right singers, Ms Aguilera reedeemed her self tonight and Florence of the Machine had a much better voice than I had anticipated. John Mayer looked like something was wrong he was barely playing his guitar with Norah Jones and Keith Urban. My fave group of country music Lady Antebellum won a well deserved award they have hit out of the park like Sugarland did a few years ago. I knew this group like Rascal Flatts would be famous.

I thought Aretha looked great and I was thinking Yolanda would break out into Amazing Grace but she did Spirit in the Dark. My dissapointing moment was anything with Hilary Swank looking Justin Bieber in it I hate to look at him Im sorry and Usher just doesnt do it for me anymore. I love the way you lie is not a bad song but Rihanna is not someone I would pay to see or hear. Not one of the worst shows actually it seems like music is getting a little better.
    Katie Perry was pleasant to listen to and Ms Gaga is always a sight Im glad she can sing although she reminds me so much of Madonna its hard to not see her as a clone of such.

BEST REVIEW HERE - Thanks