[REMOVE ADS]

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I wonder which one thrust that into her hand?.

Diana promoted Thank You on her social media pages. Which is more than she did with any of the expanded editions. That above picture I don't believe came from her social media outlets.

Listen I love Diana as one of three original Supremes. I love each of them. But I'm just keeping it real here.

I'm bothered by Diana's lack of discussing the Supremes, and her solo career. As a lover of history, and as a family historian, one of my favorite sayings is the old proverb that when an elder dies, a library burns to the ground. I get everyone attempting to explain Diana's silence- or indifference, if you see it that way- but the reality is that when she leaves us, that library is demolished. Anything we might have learned from her is officially destroyed. I'm as afraid of that prospect as I am the thought of a literal library being destroyed. And as the last original Supreme, her memories are more important than ever because there is no alternative person. She's it. And when she's gone, it's all over.

That's unacceptable. I realize none of us have the ability to force her to do anything, so all we can do is discuss our frustrations with the choir. Maybe Rhonda or one of her other kids might put a bug in her ear about doing something. Fingers crossed.

diana's lack of promotion of her material is nothing new. i think Blue mentioned how she really doesn't like all of the promotional work required. it's so labor intensive, takes her away from her family. i would imagine it's incredibly draining.

motown had her pretty much touring nonstop [[other than when doing movies). surrender was woefully under promoted but she was preg at the time. the TMITM album doesn't seem to have been promoted much although of course the title track was a big song in her act. did she ever do any other tunes?

with LTISH i think she only sang the 2 singles.

Starting with DR 76 it seems most of the albums starting getting 4 or so songs in the act. although ironically i don't think she ever included anything but Upside Down and Coming Out from the great diana 80 album. Piano did at least get a UK video

RCA - Ross got little promotion as did RHBAB, although there was the tv special.

I know she did major world tours and US tours for WO and Force. what about Take Me Higher? how many of those tunes were promoted? but then starting with Every Day - nothing. and that hasn't changed since then.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    diana's lack of promotion of her material is nothing new. i think Blue mentioned how she really doesn't like all of the promotional work required. it's so labor intensive, takes her away from her family. i would imagine it's incredibly draining.

motown had her pretty much touring nonstop [[other than when doing movies). surrender was woefully under promoted but she was preg at the time. the TMITM album doesn't seem to have been promoted much although of course the title track was a big song in her act. did she ever do any other tunes?

Starting with DR 76 it seems most of the albums starting getting 4 or so songs in the act. although ironically i don't think she ever included anything but Upside Down and Coming Out from the great diana 80 album. Piano did at least get a UK video

RCA - Ross got little promotion as did RHBAB, although there was the tv special.

I know she did major world tours and US tours for WO and Force. what about Take Me Higher? how many of those tunes were promoted? but then starting with Every Day - nothing. and that hasn't changed since then.
    As has been written previously, once Diana became a solo artist, she did very little television unless it was promoting one of her films, a special show like DICK CLARK'S LIVE WEDNESDAY, doing a tv special, or co-hosting the Oscars. Its not like she ran over to SOUL TRAIN or SOLID GOLD when she had a new release. She did do some of the morning shows however.

It basically stayed that way into the 80s. She did an episode of THE MUPPET SHOW and when she left Motown, she did spots on THE TONIGHT SHOW and 20/20. She hosted the American Music Awards twice. But for the most part, it was basically the same as the 70s. And again, its not like she did MUSCLES or PIECES OF ICE on THE TONIGHT SHOW.

I noticed a difference during her second Motown stint. Albums like FORCE BEHIND THE POWER, ONE WOMAN, and TAKE ME HIGHER were more successful overseas. So she promoted those well. You can find various performances of current singles on TOP OF THE POPS, WOGAN, DES O'CONNOR, and NATIONAL LOTTERY TONIGHT, whereas that wasn't the case in the USA.

EVERY DAY IS A NEW DAY was only promoted in the US with the appearance on OPRAH, THE VIEW, and a BET DOCUGROOVE special. In the UK, she performed NOT OVER YOU YET on at least one show, as well as the AUDIENCE WITH... special.

She promoted I LOVE YOU heavily with a lot of tv appearances and ads as well. And it ended up being her highest charting album since SWEPT AWAY.

THANK YOU might have done better if she had done tv. As it was, when the news first broke that it was coming out, it was a leading item on both THE TODAY SHOW and GOOD MORNING AMERICA. But this was a month or so before the cd was released. So by the time it actually came out, they needed to re-energize and they didn't do that. There were some videos made that ended up on YouTube. But she didn't do any tv.
    Last edited by reese; 11-04-2023 at 06:49 PM.

Not sure why or what DR is thinking
    Mostly she sticks to GMA and Today,Oprah and the View.
    She never appeared on Rosie,Ellen or Kelly Clarkson type shows which ,imo, attracts a younger audience.
    She rarely does PR ,if any and I was hoping we would get some appearances but we got nothing.
    Some below par cheesy videos , I think it reflects in her sales

Perhaps after four decades of strutting her stuff she had just had enough of the promotional treadmill that’s a requisite when anything new is released.
    More than anything else i would love a candid book from her that charts her rise to fame so we might see things from her perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Perhaps after four decades of strutting her stuff she had just had enough of the promotional treadmill that’s a requisite when anything new is released.
    More than anything else i would love a candid book from her that charts her rise to fame so we might see things from her perspective.
    I would love a candid book - not a trash book, no Mark Bego fluff nor even Randy style modestly provoking - just something setting out her honest views now that all is said and done. There’s no Mary or Flo or even Cindy to raise a stink over what she says and Berry and Smokey and Bob Ellis and Oprah and Beyoncé have always been on Diana’s side. No one expects Diana to do any muck raking at 80 but a frank life encompassing candid account would be welcomed. She’s an important musical figure and people want to hear her account.

I have no expectations of her getting out and promoting anything anymore
    In the couple of “reunion” pictures that were taken with Quincy and Berry and Mary [[as close to a reunion as we got), Diana looked to me to be pretty uncomfortable; her face seemed to say “I’m trying my best to smile but get me out of here as fast as you can”.
    Last edited by jobeterob; 11-04-2023 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I would love a candid book - not a trash book, no Mark Bego fluff nor even Randy style modestly provoking - just something setting out her honest views now that all is said and done. There’s no Mary or Flo or even Cindy to raise a stink over what she says and Berry and Smokey and Bob Ellis and Oprah and Beyoncé have always been on Diana’s side. No one expects Diana to do any muck raking at 80 but a frank life encompassing candid account would be welcomed. She’s an important musical figure and people want to hear her account.

In the couple of “reunion” pictures that were taken with Quincy and Berry and Mary [[as close to a reunion as we got), Diana looked to me to be pretty uncomfortable; her face seemed to say “I’m trying my best to smile but get me out of here as fast as you can”.
    Perhaps we read into certain photographs want we want to believe, but agree that such a legendary and at times controversial musical icon as Diana would benefit from giving us her take on such an amazing career.
    If not, there will always be somebody else who will.

Perhaps we read into certain photographs want we want to believe, but agree that such a legendary and at times controversial musical icon as Diana would benefit from giving us her take on such an amazing career.
    If not, there will always be somebody else who will.
    When I’ve looked at the picture with Berry and Mary as well as the above with Quincy and Mary, I’ve thought that too much can be read into them - they are just pictures taken in a moment and possibly someone had to burp or fart as the click happened.

But a case can be made for Diana looking much happier with Harry and Andy than she did in the pictures with Mary.

When I’ve looked at the picture with Berry and Mary as well as the above with Quincy and Mary, I’ve thought that too much can be read into them - they are just pictures taken in a moment and possibly someone had to burp or fart as the click happened.

But a case can be made for Diana looking much happier with Harry and Andy than she did in the pictures with Mary.
    Maybe Diana had burped or farted just before "A' Go-Go: EE" had been put in her hands to take the photo? After all, Andy and Harry don't have quite as wide a smile as Diana does there.

With all due respect, you'd think Diana Ross is the only celebrity with a family. We hear that excuse for her time and again. The majority of those in show business do "press" when they're promoting a product, whether it be a movie, a record, a TV show, whatever. Diana has done little to nothing in the last twenty years. What's her REAL reasoning? Her kids are in their 30's, 40's, and 50's now. She couldn't have done a few interviews or talk shows to promote THANK YOU.....because of her family?

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    With all due respect, you'd think Diana Ross is the only celebrity with a family. We hear that excuse for her time and again. The majority of those in show business do "press" when they're promoting a product, whether it be a movie, a record, a TV show, whatever. Diana has done little to nothing in the last twenty years. What's her REAL reasoning? Her kids are in their 30's, 40's, and 50's now. She couldn't have done a few interviews or talk shows to promote THANK YOU.....because of her family?
    yeah but a huge amount of celebrity children have all sorts of problems. drugs, scandals, being essentially useless. it appears that Diana's kids are not part of that norm. sure there are some other celeb kids that avoided the pitfalls. and my understanding is that now she's an active grandmother.

so back in the 80s when the girls were young, it seems Diana was VERY focused on their upbringing. being a single mother and working hard, she seems to have made time for them. but her work wasn't only her music. she was actively involved in other business endeavors and was managing her career too. so she was the one having to deal with all the management crap that Berry's staff had handled for her in the 70s. and with no one forcing her to do things, she could focus on what she wanted and ignore what she didn't want to do. IMO for things that she was less excited about, she took a "that's sufficient" attitude. she never did much with videos [[or at least much that was really great), the albums were ok, she made occasional national tv appearances. she was focused for a while on that Josephine Baker movie.

yeah but a huge amount of celebrity children have all sorts of problems. drugs, scandals, being essentially useless. it appears that Diana's kids are not part of that norm. sure there are some other celeb kids that avoided the pitfalls. and my understanding is that now she's an active grandmother.

so back in the 80s when the girls were young, it seems Diana was VERY focused on their upbringing. being a single mother and working hard, she seems to have made time for them. but her work wasn't only her music. she was actively involved in other business endeavors and was managing her career too. so she was the one having to deal with all the management crap that Berry's staff had handled for her in the 70s. and with no one forcing her to do things, she could focus on what she wanted and ignore what she didn't want to do. IMO for things that she was less excited about, she took a "that's sufficient" attitude. she never did much with videos [[or at least much that was really great), the albums were ok, she made occasional national tv appearances. she was focused for a while on that Josephine Baker movie.
    The most important measure of the real quality of a person is how their kids turn out.

The most important measure of the real quality of a person is how their kids turn out.
    Thats so not true. Even brilliant parents have children that go astray. In that respect Diana is very lucky indeed. I would never judge a person on the success of their children.

Thats so not true. Even brilliant parents have children that go astray. In that respect Diana is very lucky indeed. I would never judge a person on the success of their children.
    I agree. I went to school with some kids who were constantly in trouble and later had run-ins with the law. The parents were the nicest, most compassionate, and understanding people who raised other successful, great kids. Sometimes you have bad eggs and the nature overpowers the nurture.

Wasn't Mary also dabbling in the Josephine Baker thing? I thought I remember she even had a photo/portrait done a la Baker?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Wasn't Mary also dabbling in the Josephine Baker thing? I thought I remember she even had a photo/portrait done a la Baker?
    she portrayed her in the Dream sequence starting in 75. there are a few photos/postcards of her dressed and posed like Baker. I'm not sure what else she did though. I'm not aware if she began incorporating some m of Baker's music in her solo shows. personally i'm not at all familiar with Baker's work and music so I'm not really sure of her whole story.

what difference does this make to you? Why do you care if she promotes her records or not? What do you get? That makes you personally bothered by the fact she didn’t promote Thank you.?

I don’t get it either, but she doesn’t care, and I don’t care either, so I just leave it at that. That’s what I wonder what all this conversation is about.

I really wish, and agree with ran, that she is taking a treasure trove of memories with her when she goes and I hate that. But if it’s painful for her to go back, or she finds it non-productive, or she can’t remember things well, whatever the reason, she doesn’t need an excuse as to why she’s not promoting things. she doesn’t need a reason. She’s 80 fucking years old and is doing what she wants to do. I’ve seen her show a bunch of times this year and she has been having a wonderful time on stage. In one city, she was thinking the security people in the backstage people by name. Shows are over 90 minutes again that’s been a long time since that happened. And she’s not sitting on the chair anymore. In my opinion, she has earned the right to do whatever she wants. I don’t understand her, but she has been sensational lately.

You really think so re: "recent" pictures with Diana and Mary? All that I've seen, they both look glowing. There's an unflattering one of Diana with Mary and Berry, but otherwise I think they all look fabulous. Diana hasn't given more than three shites about Mary Wilson in the last 20 or 30 or 40 years. As evidenced by her monotone Tweet related to Mary's passing. If in her 70's Diana couldn't stand next to Mary for 17 seconds and smile for 3 camera clicks, then that's on her. Regardless, they came together before death, and put a period at the end of that sentence.

You really think so re: "recent" pictures with Diana and Mary? All that I've seen, they both look glowing. There's an unflattering one of Diana with Mary and Berry, but otherwise I think they all look fabulous. Diana hasn't given more than three shites about Mary Wilson in the last 20 or 30 or 40 years. As evidenced by her monotone Tweet related to Mary's passing. If in her 70's Diana couldn't stand next to Mary for 17 seconds and smile for 3 camera clicks, then that's on her. Regardless, they came together before death, and put a period at the end of that sentence.
    It seems to me that Mary looks vivacious and excited. Perhaps Diana’s face shows she doesn’t care about Mary. I don’t see any glow. It crosses my mind that as someone else alluded too, Diana wants to avoid any confrontation or conflict and wants to leave things at “my world is blessed”.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Maybe Diana had burped or farted just before "A' Go-Go: EE" had been put in her hands to take the photo? After all, Andy and Harry don't have quite as wide a smile as Diana does there.
    I'm not sure about that. According to most, when Diana farts it should be a #1 record.

Or at least a #2.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Josephine Baker and Mary Wilson were introduced to each other by choreographer Geoffrey Holder in 1975, when he created The Supremes' new stage show.

Josephine Baker and Mary Wilson were introduced to each other by choreographer Geoffrey Holder in 1975, when he created The Supremes' new stage show.
    I just listen to the Supremes Shubert show from 1975 and did the Supremes do their dream sequence before Diana?

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I just listen to the Supremes Shubert show from 1975 and did the Supremes do their dream sequence before Diana?
    i believe the Shubert show was the debut of this new Supremes' act. Sept 75.

It looks like the whole "An Evening With Diana Ross" show started in spring 76 or so. and this included the "working girls" segment. the LA show that would eventually become the album An Evening With Diana Ross was i think recorded in Sept 76.

what i don't know is if she had expanded her blues songs prior to this. of course she'd been including her Lady songs for many years. but i don't know if she had started to dabble in Josephine, Ethel, and others.

also i don't know the lead time necessary for the development of such a massive new show. Joe Layton was the director of An Evening With and the two of them had collaborated on the design and structure of the extravaganza. if it went live in spring 76 that would mean it was in development several months prior.

but i think odds are the Sups and Mary were first with josephine.

I second that emotion!

Hmmmm - I still feel that a very good measure of a person is how their children turned out. Not the only measure, but a good one. However, I take the points made.

Hmmmm - I still feel that a very good measure of a person is how their children turned out. Not the only measure, but a good one..
    In which case Diana Ross must be the most perfect woman on the planet. As if there was ever any doubt.

Hmmmm - I still feel that a very good measure of a person is how their children turned out. Not the only measure, but a good one. However, I take the points made.
    I understand where you're coming from, but I don't believe that's the case at all. As others have stated, sometimes parents have strengths that may be great to the development of one child and not the other. Does that make them a terrible person and parent? No and they shouldn't be measured on how good of a person they are if a child happens to fall through the cracks or if they become a saint.

Diana has shown her children are the important things in her life and she's done a great job in raising five great people. It's clear her love and nurturing has played a huge part in their development and who they've become and speaks to who she is as a mother. Should we measure her purely based on on how her kids came out? No. There are other dimensions to her as a person like all of us. She's human like the rest of us where we are strong is some areas of life and weak on others.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, but I don't believe that's the case at all. As others have stated, sometimes parents have strengths that may be great to the development of one child and not the other. Does that make them a terrible person and parent? No and they shouldn't be measured on how good of a person they are if a child happens to fall through the cracks or if they become a saint.

Diana has shown her children are the important things in her life and she's done a great job in raising five great people. It's clear her love and nurturing has played a huge part in their development and who they've become and speaks to who she is as a mother. Should we measure her purely based on on how her kids came out? No. There are other dimensions to her as a person like all of us. She's human like the rest of us where we are strong is some areas of life and weak on others.
    Yes I totally agree on not measuring Diana on her kids only.

I actually was not making my comments with respect to Diana Ross; I was making them based on my own life and I’m not saying that being an arrogant dickhead. I had a pretty decent career and did fairly well - most of you know what I worked at.

But if I’d fucked up raising my kids, I would have been unbearably disappointed. But definitely it’s only one aspect of a life.

I guess how I feel causes me to always wonder why people as professionally successful as Gladys and Aretha so often complained about so many people and so many things.

But definitely children are only one factor in a life and sometimes things go wrong for the best of parents; I had several clients who had a child that became a victim of the opioid crisis and Mom and Dad were the best of people.

All this is only peripheral to Diana Ross but perhaps is about Reflections.

It’s worth remembering that the world considered Joan Crawford an exemplary mother up until her demise.

It’s worth remembering that the world considered Joan Crawford an exemplary mother up until her demise.
    Well, it’s worth noting that two of Joan’s other children deny Christina Crawford’s tales of child abuse.
    https://www.closerweekly.com/posts/j...e-and-cruelty/

However, Joan’s younger twin daughters, Casey’s mother Cathy and his Aunt Cindy, always insisted that the depiction of Joan by Christina was a gross exaggeration if not an outright lie. “My mother and my Aunt Cindy, to their dying day, felt nothing but love for their mother,” Casey says in Closer‘s latest issue, on newsstands now. “They never experienced any abuse. It was a loving and caring household, and Joan was always very supportive of them.”:

Yes I totally agree on not measuring Diana on her kids only.

I actually was not making my comments with respect to Diana Ross; I was making them based on my own life and I’m not saying that being an arrogant dickhead. I had a pretty decent career and did fairly well - most of you know what I worked at.

But if I’d fucked up raising my kids, I would have been unbearably disappointed. But definitely it’s only one aspect of a life.

I guess how I feel causes me to always wonder why people as professionally successful as Gladys and Aretha so often complained about so many people and so many things.

But definitely children are only one factor in a life and sometimes things go wrong for the best of parents; I had several clients who had a child that became a victim of the opioid crisis and Mom and Dad were the best of people.

All this is only peripheral to Diana Ross but perhaps is about Reflections.
    I haven't heard Aretha's children say one bad word about her.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    what difference does this make to you? Why do you care if she promotes her records or not? What do you get? That makes you personally bothered by the fact she didn’t promote Thank you.?

I don’t get it either, but she doesn’t care, and I don’t care either, so I just leave it at that. That’s what I wonder what all this conversation is about.

I really wish, and agree with ran, that she is taking a treasure trove of memories with her when she goes and I hate that. But if it’s painful for her to go back, or she finds it non-productive, or she can’t remember things well, whatever the reason, she doesn’t need an excuse as to why she’s not promoting things. she doesn’t need a reason. She’s 80 fucking years old and is doing what she wants to do. I’ve seen her show a bunch of times this year and she has been having a wonderful time on stage. In one city, she was thinking the security people in the backstage people by name. Shows are over 90 minutes again that’s been a long time since that happened. And she’s not sitting on the chair anymore. In my opinion, she has earned the right to do whatever she wants. I don’t understand her, but she has been sensational lately.
    Make no mistake: it makes ZERO difference to me. Diana Ross could give two f*cks less about me, and trust me, I'm not staying up late at night thinking about her. But unlike a lot of rabid fans on this forum, I don't stick Diana Ross on a pedestal, thinking every burp and fart she makes should be a Number One record. Diana tapped out on recording in the late 80's, save for "Not Over You Yet" which I still think to this day should have been what "Believe" was to Cher. Why even bother recording with a karaoke background and a 25+ year old cover photo? Is this REALLY what the fans want? No. They want to see her in person, sequined and Aqua-netted to Jesus singing her hits. I am one of them. I'll never pass up an opportunity to see the diva, and I'll cry like a b*tch the entire time. But f*ck, ANY business person knows unless you're Taylor Swift, you better be ready to do some hard work to promote your product. Diana ain't doing it, and that's why she hasn't had a hit in 4 decades.

Boom.

This page has garnered so much attention count the record company she this or do they even know about the site , so far nothing has been expanded or Willoughby

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    This page has garnered so much attention count the record company she this or do they even know about the site , so far nothing has been expanded or Willoughby
    The only thing is that most of it has nothing to do with the Expanded Edition

The only thing is that most of it has nothing to do with the Expanded Edition
    LOL. But isn't that the case with about every thread on this here forum?

I'm glad we dont' have topic police here. Another site I frequent has them and its very annoying and you end up arguing with the moderators that your post was relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    LOL. But isn't that the case with about every thread on this here forum?

I'm glad we dont' have topic police here. Another site I frequent has them and its very annoying and you end up arguing with the moderators that your post was relevant.
    Yes we stray quite a bit.

But we all get along quite well - things are “enormously calm” compared to the TNT days.

Perhaps a lot of old farts that don’t get too cranked up about anything anymore.

Perhaps a lot of old farts that don’t get too cranked up about anything anymore.
    Speak for yourself dear.

Imo..if we don't get this for Diana's 80th..
    It will never happen..

Since Diana Ross 80th birthday is coming up are we going to get a surprise album release?

Since Diana Ross 80th birthday is coming up are we going to get a surprise album release?
    Let’s hope so. Maybe a lavish CD set from a third party ala the Christmas set. Or a vinyl set like the ones we saw a few year back [[Paris, Supreme Rarities).

fingers crossed . it would be the right thing to do but universal has been indifferent to the expanded editions.
    to me lets celebrate Dianas B Day with Reflections.,march release , love child summer release . then Cream of the crop dec/.
    imo

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    fingers crossed . it would be the right thing to do but universal has been indifferent to the expanded editions.
    to me lets celebrate Dianas B Day with Reflections.,march release , love child summer release . then Cream of the crop dec/.
    imo
    I wonder how much additional material there is, post-Reflections. The girls did some recordings through winter and spring 68. but then they were really focusing on the duet material and TCB, plus Funny Girl. that takes us through August. then they did a lot of recordings in the fall but most of that material [[that we know of) made it onto the LC, Sunshine and Cream albums. then by mid 69, the group was really not doing much more recording as they were really just trying to lift Diana out.

the L&F set that we got includes a lot of the non-released material. again, that we know of. if there were real treasures to be had, i would think they would have been on L&F already.

of course there could be mono versions of the albums. single/45 mixes of songs [[i believe i heard there is a single edit of Shadow of Society) and of course alt vocals/versions.

I believe most of the duets material is on the Joined Together release. probably highly unlikely we'll get expanded dvd or cd material on TCB or GIT.

Congratulations to the thread - 98000 views!

RTL and the Andantes replacing Supremes can’t compete

Congratulations to the thread - 98000 views!

RTL and the Andantes replacing Supremes can’t compete
    Hey Rob, speaking of Andantes did you happen to take a look at the thread Ran created which showed that Florence and Mary were on like 90% of their songs?

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Hey Rob, speaking of Andantes did you happen to take a look at the thread Ran created which showed that Florence and Mary were on like 90% of their songs?
    I probably glanced at it.

I feel like TJ Lubinsky who said he worked with Mary and had interactions with Mary and Louvain and he saw no evidence of any issue between them

The songs are the songs; the Andantes and others are on a lot of songs and probably the Supremes including Diana didn’t even know. I remember I was surprised and kind of didn’t believe it but that was a decade or more ago. I don’t really consider it much anymore. But I appreciate newer fans may be feeling like I did a long time ago.

Adding additional singers probably reached its peak on the Jimmy Webb album or maybe Merry Christmas.

If you go find T J’s post - and he did all those PBS specials - it was a good one.

Too much is made of these minor issues.

It’s damaged the Supremes legacy. It is also no different than a member of the Wrecking Crew playing bass on the first Doors album - before they had a bass player. It happened all the time.

Why should it matter so much more with the Supremes? Is it because they and Diana had so many big hits?

I probably glanced at it.

I feel like TJ Lubinsky who said he worked with Mary and had interactions with Mary and Louvain and he saw no evidence of any issue between them

The songs are the songs; the Andantes and others are on a lot of songs and probably the Supremes including Diana didn’t even know. I remember I was surprised and kind of didn’t believe it but that was a decade or more ago. I don’t really consider it much anymore. But I appreciate newer fans may be feeling like I did a long time ago.

Adding additional singers probably reached its peak on the Jimmy Webb album or maybe Merry Christmas.

If you go find T J’s post - and he did all those PBS specials - it was a good one.

It’s damaged the Supremes legacy. It is also no different than a member of the Wrecking Crew playing bass on the first Doors album - before they had a bass player. It happened all the time.

Why should it matter so much more with the Supremes? Is it because they and Diana had so many big hits?
    my guess is that the industry had already pretty much written off the Supremes as "just" another girl group. a very successful one, yes. but they weren't "artists" like the industry viewed jim morrison or any of the beatles or stevie or whomever else. the group has always been marginalized as simply a product of motowns. as if they had 0 contribution to their success. they didn't write the own material or produce it. and then layering in the studio singers did a lot of the backing vocals only serves to further undermine the group's credibility with historians.

of course what they're overlooking is all of the history and important contributions all of us die hard fans recognize.

my guess is that the industry had already pretty much written off the Supremes as "just" another girl group. a very successful one, yes.
    Not sure if this belongs here, but will post it here anyway. sup_fan I agree with you that -- unfortunately -- some people write off The Supremes as "just" another girl group. The other night on "Jeopardy" in a music category the clue said something like "in the 1970s two groups had a hit with songs titled "Best of My Love." One was sung by The Emotions and the second by this other group." And the contestant guessed "Who are The Supremes?" WRONG. Obviously, The Eagles.
    This started out as a thread about an Expanded Edition of "Reflections" and it sounds as if we may never see an expanded edition [[not in my lifetime anyway). I wish these threads wouldn't unravel into pettiness. But as an ex- of mine used to say, "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride."

But it's not a minor issue, and frankly you bring it up quite often. I realize it's your way of taking digs at the Supremes not named Diana, and that's fine, but at least be honest about it. That post TJ made flat out claimed that the Andantes "were on the majority of the Supremes record from "SITNOL" forward", which is factually inaccurate, and then you backed up that claim with your anecdote about what somebody told you regarding the backing vocals. You told me to do my research. I detailed my research. You glanced at it. I would've thought you'd have given me a grade on the thesis after my research.

Flo and Mary's contribution to the Supremes is firmly intact regarding what we saw: those three beautiful ladies together, on stage, on television, poised, glammed up, something to behold. And their live singing was fantastic, their chemistry with one another, those voices finding their places together...it all made for a history making image. But when someone makes the claim that the records were all basically Diana Ross solo recordings and Flo and Mary not being involved is a "minor issue", it's a knock on their legacy. The Supremes were a group and should be respected for the work they put into those records. Those records are a huge part of the group's legacy, and thus a huge part of the legacies of Florence and Mary.