[REMOVE ADS]

51 years since Jesse Belvin died

It was 51 years ago today that Jesse Belvin, his wife and their driver [[who had just been fired as Ray Charles' driver) were killed in a car accident. I always figured Belvin to be the greatest voice that most don't know. He falls in that Johnny Ace category of singers who never got a chance to really develop [[though Ace was by his own undoing, whereas Belvin was just plain tragic).

I was just curious to see if there are any Belvin fans on here. It surprises me at times to see how few people know about him. Sam Cooke called him one of his role models. Charles said he thought Belvin was better than him. He signed with RCA to be the company's answer to Nat Cole, yet few know of him.

I Remember Jesse Belvin's classic song, Guess Who!

I certainly remember his classic song, Guess Who, that was released in February 1959. He made an appearance singing Guess Who on American Bandstand on 4/21/1958 but Guess Who was not released until nearly a year later. This is a monster song. WOGL in Philadelphia used to play this song constantly. I did a little research and it appears that Jesse had single releases on an estimated 16 different labels. Listen to Guess Who if you get an opportunity. It is great.