[REMOVE ADS]

Wicked wilson pickett

Just thought i'd give a shoutout to one of the legendary soulmen of all time the mighty wilson pickett,from his days with the falcons to his atlantic soul topping hits pickett could bring it with the best of em a soul shouter right there with james brown[whom he detested]pickett's live shows were simply soulful and he could slow it down when the mood fit him[if you need me-i'm in love]be it fast or slow none did it better than the midnightman himself-wicked wilson pickett!!

Did he really detest James Brown? Pickett worked with JB on cable TV special. Last year, before the forum switched to its new home, there was a thread on Wilson Pickett that Motown Fan [[Pickett was one of his Godfathers) and Positive Soul contributed greatly to.

Quote Originally Posted by kamasu_jr View Post
    did he really detest james brown? Pickett worked with jb on cable tv special. Last year, before the forum switched to its new home, there was a thread on wilson pickett that motown fan [[pickett was one of his godfathers) and positive soul contributed greatly to.
    maybe they made up later in life but there was no love lost between them in the sixties,i think it was over a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    maybe they made up later in life but there was no love lost between them in the sixties,i think it was over a woman.
    I heard JB had beef with JOE TEX over a woman. I'm inclined to think those are just stories or myths.
    ''

Quote Originally Posted by kamasu_jr View Post
    i heard jb had beef with joe tex over a woman. I'm inclined to think those are just stories or myths.
    ''
    haaaaaaa,his beef with joe wasn't about a chick,joe made fun of jb in his act and jb didn't see the humor so one night jb showed up and joe had to hit the back door...running!

Mr. Brown didn't play. Pickett had a temper, but was congeneal to those he liked and loved.

Wilson was one the biggest, baddest, BEST Soul singers in history! He wasn't the king but damned sure was a Crown Prince!!!!!

R&B

Remember that in his early days, Joe was also on the roster of King Recoords. Who knows what effect that may have had on their relationship. Another thing that contributed to their problems was how some performers viewed James back then. According to several books & written accounts, Joe's problems with James were for various reasons & encompassed several events.

From all accounts, James was known to be a guy who would do just about anything to upstage his fellow performers. Once James jumped to the stage from a balcony, on another occasion James kept falling to his knees until he tore a hole in the knees of his pants. They simply felt that James would do anything to steal the show & many of them didn't like that tendency. Many is the tale told about how a performer would acknowledge James when sitting in the audience, call him onstage to sing a song with them, only to have James damn near do a full show.

In Peter Guralnick's wonderful book, 'Sweet Soul Music', Alan Walden related a story about a show that featured James, Otis & Joe. They had more than a little disdain for James & were conjuring up all sorts of tricks in order to upstage James. They did none of what they were considering [[riding on stage on a horse, flying in on a helicopter, etc.), but the fact that they even discussed it, gives some idea of how they felt about him.

There have been accounts that Joe used to have 'Soul Brother #1' painted on his bus & James found out about it, which led to more words & tension between them. The 'Mike Trick' was yet another thorny issue between them. Back then [[today, as well), just about everyone 'borrowed' from other entertainers. Why this should've been a monumental problem, I don't know, but it became a pretty big issue between them.

Indeed Joe had a beef with James over a woman & if memory serves me correctly, the woman was Bea Ford, who went on to sing the duet 'You've Got The Power' with James, but I'll check on that. Legend has it that James 'took' her from Joe. Shortly afterward, Joe received a letter from James, telling Joe that he could have her back. You can hear Joe's response to the situation in his song 'You Keep Her'.

Shortly after that, another situation occured at a show in Macon, which featured James & Joe sharing the bill. Joe came onstage with a raggedy, torn cape & began singing 'Please, Please, Please', adding 'Get me out Of This Cape' & the audience howled. Now James was the big star coming back to Georgia & Joe clowned him. Later that evening, Otis was performing nearby & James learned that Joe would be there & went there, quite the unhappy camper. If one is to believe the accounts given, there was a shootout, a few innocents were hit, but not seriously harmed & some money was passed out to the audience & the whole thing was kept under wraps.

It's possible that a few thing have been embellished over the years, I suspect that very little has been & if anything, I believe that there's even more that hasn't been said. My father used to run with both of them back in the early 60's & their rivalry was very, very real & very personal.

As for Wilson, he's another guy that my father used to run with & when I was a little kid, my father told me that Wilson could be cool, but had a terrible temper if you caught him on the wrong day. His situation with his neighbors, The Isleys is the stuff that legends are made of!

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    r&b

remember that in his early days, joe was also on the roster of king recoords. Who knows what effect that may have had on their relationship. Another thing that contributed to their problems was how some performers viewed james back then. According to several books & written accounts, joe's problems with james were for various reasons & encompassed several events.

From all accounts, james was known to be a guy who would do just about anything to upstage his fellow performers. Once james jumped to the stage from a balcony, on another occasion james kept falling to his knees until he tore a hole in the knees of his pants. They simply felt that james would do anything to steal the show & many of them didn't like that tendency. Many is the tale told about how a performer would acknowledge james when sitting in the audience, call him onstage to sing a song with them, only to have james damn near do a full show.

In peter guralnick's wonderful book, 'sweet soul music', alan walden related a story about a show that featured james, otis & joe. They had more than a little disdain for james & were conjuring up all sorts of tricks in order to upstage james. They did none of what they were considering [[riding on stage on a horse, flying in on a helicopter, etc.), but the fact that they even discussed it, gives some idea of how they felt about him.

There have been accounts that joe used to have 'soul brother #1' painted on his bus & james found out about it, which led to more words & tension between them. The 'mike trick' was yet another thorny issue between them. Back then [[today, as well), just about everyone 'borrowed' from other entertainers. Why this should've been a monumental problem, i don't know, but it became a pretty big issue between them.

Indeed joe had a beef with james over a woman & if memory serves me correctly, the woman was bea ford, who went on to sing the duet 'you've got the power' with james, but i'll check on that. Legend has it that james 'took' her from joe. Shortly afterward, joe received a letter from james, telling joe that he could have her back. You can hear joe's response to the situation in his song 'you keep her'.

Shortly after that, another situation occured at a show in macon, which featured james & joe sharing the bill. Joe came onstage with a raggedy, torn cape & began singing 'please, please, please', adding 'get me out of this cape' & the audience howled. Now james was the big star coming back to georgia & joe clowned him. Later that evening, otis was performing nearby & james learned that joe would be there & went there, quite the unhappy camper. If one is to believe the accounts given, there was a shootout, a few innocents were hit, but not seriously harmed & some money was passed out to the audience & the whole thing was kept under wraps.

It's possible that a few thing have been embellished over the years, i suspect that very little has been & if anything, i believe that there's even more that hasn't been said. My father used to run with both of them back in the early 60's & their rivalry was very, very real & very personal.

As for wilson, he's another guy that my father used to run with & when i was a little kid, my father told me that wilson could be cool, but had a terrible temper if you caught him on the wrong day. His situation with his neighbors, the isleys is the stuff that legends are made of!
    thanks juice,always a wealth of information here,and yes i was referring to the raggedy blanket act,i wish that joe still did it by the time i saw him at the howard.

R&B

Remember that in his early days, Joe was also on the roster of King Recoords. Who knows what effect that may have had on their relationship. Another thing that contributed to their problems was how some performers viewed James back then. According to several books & written accounts, Joe's problems with James were for various reasons & encompassed several events.

From all accounts, James was known to be a guy who would do just about anything to upstage his fellow performers. Once James jumped to the stage from a balcony, on another occasion James kept falling to his knees until he tore a hole in the knees of his pants. They simply felt that James would do anything to steal the show & many of them didn't like that tendency. Many is the tale told about how a performer would acknowledge James when sitting in the audience, call him onstage to sing a song with them, only to have James damn near do a full show.

In Peter Guralnick's wonderful book, 'Sweet Soul Music', Alan Walden related a story about a show that featured James, Otis & Joe. They had more than a little disdain for James & were conjuring up all sorts of tricks in order to upstage James. They did none of what they were considering [[riding on stage on a horse, flying in on a helicopter, etc.), but the fact that they even discussed it, gives some idea of how they felt about him.

There have been accounts that Joe used to have 'Soul Brother #1' painted on his bus & James found out about it, which led to more words & tension between them. The 'Mike Trick' was yet another thorny issue between them. Back then [[today, as well), just about everyone 'borrowed' from other entertainers. Why this should've been a monumental problem, I don't know, but it became a pretty big issue between them.

Indeed Joe had a beef with James over a woman & if memory serves me correctly, the woman was Bea Ford, who went on to sing the duet 'You've Got The Power' with James, but I'll check on that. Legend has it that James 'took' her from Joe. Shortly afterward, Joe received a letter from James, telling Joe that he could have her back. You can hear Joe's response to the situation in his song 'You Keep Her'.

Shortly after that, another situation occured at a show in Macon, which featured James & Joe sharing the bill. Joe came onstage with a raggedy, torn cape & began singing 'Please, Please, Please', adding 'Get me out Of This Cape' & the audience howled. Now James was the big star coming back to Georgia & Joe clowned him. Later that evening, Otis was performing nearby & James learned that Joe would be there & went there, quite the unhappy camper. If one is to believe the accounts given, there was a shootout, a few innocents were hit, but not seriously harmed & some money was passed out to the audience & the whole thing was kept under wraps.

It's possible that a few thing have been embellished over the years, I suspect that very little has been & if anything, I believe that there's even more that hasn't been said. My father used to run with both of them back in the early 60's & their rivalry was very, very real & very personal.

As for Wilson, he's another guy that my father used to run with & when I was a little kid, my father told me that Wilson could be cool, but had a terrible temper if you caught him on the wrong day. His situation with his neighbors, The Isleys is the stuff that legends are made of!
    Interesting. It seems all of the soul men were very insecure creatures.

One thing that I find to be quite ironic about the careers of Wilson & others is the fact that they wanted to escape the South so desperately, yet ended up travelling back South to record some of their biggest hits.

When we talk about regions, it's simply astounding to consider just how much talent resided in the South & for all that's been written, I wonder if the South has truly gotten the credit that it deserves?

It seems as though many in the mainstream reference Motown, with the slightest of nods to Philly & very little seems to said about their Southern brethren, ironically most of whom share the same roots & origins as they do.

Most often, when discussing Soul music, we seem to get caught up in regions, but when you think about it, most of these artists have southern roots, a fact which seems to escape most of those who speak about our music. It would seem to me that you can't discuss Motown or most other Soul music without giving a very heavy nod to the South.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 02-01-2011 at 04:13 PM.

One thing that I find to be quite ironic about the careers of Wilson & others is the fact that they wanted to escape the South so desperately, yet ended up travelling back South to record some of their biggest hits.

When we talk about regions, it's simply astounding to consider just how much talent resided in the South & for all that's been written, I wonder if the South has truly gotten the credit that it deserves?

It seems as though many in the mainstream reference Motown, with the slightest of nods to Philly & very little seems to said about their Southern brethren, ironically most of whom share the same roots & origins as they do.

Most often, when discussing Soul music, we seem to get caught up in regions, but when you think about it, most of these artists have southern roots, a fact which seems to escape most of those who speak about our music. It would seem to me that you can't discuss Motown or most other Soul music without giving a very heavy nod to the South.
    Thank you! I sometimes with this forum weren't so focused on Detroit/Philly. Good soul came from all over, even places like Phoenix [[Dyke & The Blazers).