Thanks Nomis, nice tunes........

As /Stevie

Little Boy Blue/Rufus

Fading Away/Bobby Taylor and Vancouvers

Ellie's Theme/Isaac Hayes

You and I/ Switch

Change [[makes you want to Hustle) Donald Byrd

oh and how could I forget -
    Madonna Paradise [[not for Me)..killer orchestra with brilliant rising strings volume half way through the track

u know i gotta chime in on this!
    i'm gonna make you love me temis/supremes [[one of the best intros ever)
    fools paradise rufus/chaka khan
    cherish the day - sade
    simply beautiful - al green [[exactly what the tittle saids)
    all the way lover - millie jackson [[what a down home groove)
    in the mood - tyrone davis
    i forgot to be your lover - william bell [[those strings are murder)
    that's where it's at - sam cooke[[now that's a real soul record)
    hot pants jb [[best horns ever when they go to the bridge)
    if i was your girlfriend - prince [[the genius at his best! i almost had at the recent prince concert when he performed this and he just let the bass and drum rock on this cut)
    i loved and i lost - the impressions [[talk about some brass for your ass)
    the girl in his mind - jerry butler
    you really got a hold on me - the miracles [[thanks sam for inspiring smkey to write this awesome song)
    to be a lover - gene chandler

Monster hit from the Honeycone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2cQ47VVzU0

topdiva1 Guest
    Did anyone mention Ross's - AIn't No Mountain High Enough. Not only is the orchestration great - but the background vocals as well = with someone hitting them high notes ala Flo Ballard - or did someone sneak Ballard into the studio just because they could - hehehehehehe

Funny-walter jackson!

Heres another, one that I am always hesitant to post, but it is what it is, and one of my favorites Rest In Peace "Bear".....

A friend of mine who also happens to be a DJ, a forum member and an expert on Jimi Hendrix, called me yesterday and put me on blast because of my omission of one of my all time favorite records. He said he had thought about posting about the record but since he had beat me to the punch on a couple of selections, most notably from the Dramatics and The Temptations, in his opinion "I'" needed a wake up call and he would hold off on this record because in his words, when I posted about killer arrangements this record immediately came to his mind.

He was right, although I was trying to give this thread some room by not overloading everyone with my own selections, this friend has me nailed. I would like to offer my humble apology to Ms. Betty Lavette, whose song "Close as I"ll get To Heaven" is simply one of the most beautiful and heart rending songs I have ever heard.

There are several videos of her live performances on YouTube, but be that as it where, you would have to be there in person to fully appreciate the arrangement, her performance is legendary, and while attending one of her shows, I was so wrapped up in her delivery that it dam near brought me to tears. But ......her band and the arrangement is simply superb, one of the finest on record.

Taken from this album:

Name:  Betty.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  17.5 KB

The track is not as long as her live performance but, its still killer. Don't believe me ? .....hmmmm then buy the record.......

Kdubya

Thx for reminding me I meant to post in the Bettye thread.....and you are so right about 'being there'.

I'd like to start my list with one from my girls after I explained what an "arrangement" was:

"Clean Up Woman"

and one of the most perfect songs that I've ever heard:

"If I Was Your Woman" - Gladys Knight and The Pips.

Make that 2 most perfect songs....This one has been on my mind for days:

"Ain't No Way" - Long Live The Queen.

May I just add:
    "All I Do" [[Radio Edit)) Kirk Whalum f/Wendy Moten. Rarely are covers as good as the original...but the arrangement and vocals just SMOKE on this.

"Catfish" The Four Tops A departure from what they were known for....most were surprised that this song was from The Tops ! The rhythm arrangement is killer...the horns unreal...and Levi...well just Levi [[just a one of a kind vocalist).

"Carmel" [[entire LP) Joe Sample

"Images" [[entire LP) The Crusaders

"Snowblower" & "Where You're Comin' From" B. Baker Chocolate Company... An All-Star collaboration fronted by arranger Brad Baker [[who seemingly has disappeared from the face of the earth.)

"Everything Must Change" Darryl Williams From Darryl's debut CD. All I can say is go to Amazon,CD Baby, etc. and take a listen. He's am amazing bassist who doesn't put his ego/talent before the band.

"Heaven Sent" Stanley Clarke f/ Howard Hewett Just a well arranged and produced piece.

And Kdub....as much as we love love classic Tempts tunes, "PLASTIC MAN" was one [[of many) that had it ALL...the killer arrangement AND vocals. The instrumental side got as much play as the vocal side BECAUSE the arrangement was so kick-ass !

Oh hell yes, my two brothers from another Mother, its very easy to agree with both of you on your excellent choices.

Plastic Man was one of those Tempt cuts replete with hand claps and vocal highlights they were so famous for, and they were having fun.

Des big ups to Ree-Ree......

Heres some that are rarely mentioned :

Love Birds by The Dramatics......superb........from their album Anytime, Any Place.

Spell by Blue Magic [[ haunting )

I'm In Love With You: by forgotten Motown group " Ko-Ko Pop", the background vocals and musical arrangements are simply as smooth as the other side of a pillow.

Thought It Would be Easier/Shelby Lynn.....sublime..........

Smooth /Lina ......when this Lady sings the lyric.. "What I wouldn't do, to make these things go smooth", gets me every time ! Like The Shelby Lynn cut, these two songs seem to always make my permanent rotation....and their bands were simply kick azz......

Hey paladin,i got a couple for ya,the temps classic-girl[why you wanna make me blue]how many of us have listened to this killer and on the bridge where they sing..why you wanna make me blue,we thought they were singing in unison...noooo they are singing in harmony..take a close listen...i ain't got the love-the ambassadors,another killer arrangement!

Ok, since this thread is still going, I want to add a few more to the list.

This one really does it for me, and it's better than the original version. [[by the way, Herbie is playing Fender Rhodes on this track)

And speaking of Herbie, this one is one of my favorites also. [[The Headhunters are in full effect on this track !)

I've always loved Herbie's Maiden Voyage and although I mentioned an earlier track by Norman Connors/Eleanor Mills, Norman did some fantastic production on Pharaoh Sanders gem :

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    BACHARACH...

Walk on By
    Alfie
    Any Day Now

Allen Toussaint
    Such A Night
    Nightbirds

Arif Mardin
    Until You Come Back To Me

Bobby Martin
    Drowning in the Sea of
    Love
    Drowning In The Sea Of Love was arranged by Thom Bell

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    The First Choice - LOVE AND HAPPINESS
    Love And Happiness was arranged by First Choice's road band, Prime Cut. I don't know who the individual members were except for guitarist Herb Smith.

Hey Dub,

I went through this thread again....and saw your remark about not wanting to pile on...

That being said.....I'm taking my song "As" off your pile and putting it on mine.

I started to the same thing with "Fading Away".....but since our love is mutual, I'm gonna pass.

But to make up for it....You can have one of these.....just one:

"At Last" Temprees - I didn't really latch onto to this until I played it years ago for a hardcore Etta fan....and she dug it immediately.

"Living for The City" - Stevie

"Southern Part of Texas" - War

"My Pretending Days Are Over" for me "There Is" for my crew - The Mighty Mighty Dells

"Manic Depression" "Castles Made of Sand" "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" and all those other songs by That Guy

And Gee....I'm taking "Fool for You" too......so you pick one.....and Juice.....Gimme back my Fuzz.
    and thx for reminding me of a couple of Otis joints:

"She Put The Hurt on Me" "Hard to Handle" "Dock of the Bay"

"You Better Go" - Derek Martin [[too late)

"Walk on By" - Ike - by the way......It's already in my will that this will be blasting when they wheel my body out of da Parlor.

Hey Dub,

I went through this thread again....and saw your remark about not wanting to pile on...

That being said.....I'm taking my song "As" off your pile and putting it on mine.

I started to the same thing with "Fading Away".....but since our love is mutual, I'm gonna pass.

But to make up for it....You can have one of these.....just one:

OK, I'll take My Pretending Days are over and raise you "I Miss You Baby" by the Mighty Dells...............

Strangely enough your selection of Walk On By by Issac Hayes was the first song I started to mention but choose "Doggone Good" instead. Hot Buttered Soul was a landmark album that will never be duplicated. [[Remixed by Russ Terrana)

Your deal.......

Kdubya

Man, I had to really search to find this thread ! [[lol)

At any rate, I discovered this record a few months ago,and I played it on my show last night. [[I never knew she recorded this !)

Now I love the original version,BUT this version here, she put her own stamp on it ! [[at least I think so)
    Great arrangements,and the band is TIGHT !

Last edited by GeeTee(HPK); 03-11-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks bro me ! its certainly a different arrangement...........give the drummer some.........its like Stax meets Motown.....

The drummer,the bass player,the guitarist,and the horns are killin' it !
    You're right, it is like Stax meets Motown ! [[See, I told you !)

Be For Real - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes...especially the change from opening rap to song.

I Feel Like I've Been Livin' [On The Dark Side Of The Moon] - Trammps...what a great start

Just Shopping [Not Buying Anything] - Dramatics...ooh baby another gem of an intro had me hooked before the song stated.

Somebody Loves You - Bunny Sigler...just plain wonderful...that is, if there is anything plain about wonderful.

Love Takes Tears - Johnny Bristol...should have been a 70's megastar.

Take Off Your Make Up - Lamont Dozier...another that had me hooked immediately...listening to it now, still sounds great...gonna have to fast forward to the middle section [near the end] though...ah bliss.

I Had It All the Time - Tyrone Davis...there must be something that I'm missing...very nearly great arrangement, great rap, great song, great beat, great players, great singer, making great music's a sinch.

Will She Meet the Train in the Rain? - Greg Perry...after all this time, I don't whether or not she did meet the train...nah she was probably washing her hair.

Good Guys - Sam Dees...31years & counting, still to see the light of day on CD...I could picked anything off this album it's that good...damn my vinyl to CD transfer's skipping...oh well back to the drawing board.

Nothing Can Change This Love - Otis Redding...from Sing Soul Ballads, to my mind his best album & despite being written by Sam Cooke...Otis makes it his own...ok I'll get my coat.

Be For Real - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes...especially the change from opening rap to song.

Just Shopping [Not Buying Anything] - Dramatics...ooh baby another gem of an intro had me hooked before the song stated.

Nice list Mr Soul. Love these two in particular.

Also reminded me of Tyrone's "In The Mood" and The BlueNotes "Pretty Flower"

The magnificent[thrill-friends]ray,goodman,brown..a killer!

Thanks Paladin, another gem by Harold Melvin is "Yesterday I Had The Blues" & pretty much anything by old TD sounds good to me...hey I'm a poet & didn't even know it.