[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Did Y'all Like the Chi-Lites?

The Chi-Lites were one of my favorite groups of the early 70's. They had a nice run of hits including this one....."[[For God's Sake) Give More Power to the People". Did anyone else out there like this group?

A little background on the group:

The group formed in the late 1950s when The Chanteurs [[Record, Robert "Squirrel" Lester, and Clarence Johnson) teamed up with Marshall Thompson and Creadel "Red" Jones of the Desideros to form The Hi-lites. Wishing to add a tribute to their home town of Chicago, they changed their name to "Marshall and the Chi-Lites" in 1964. Johnson left later that year, and their name was subsequently shortened to The Chi-Lites.

Record was the group's primary songwriter, though he frequently collaborated with others, such as Barbara Acklin.

Their major hits came in 1971 and 1972, with "Have You Seen Her" and "Oh Girl", the latter a Number one single on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1972. Other transatlantic chart smashes followed, although the output became more fragmented as the group's personnel came and went. For example, bass singer Jones left in 1973, and was replaced in quick succession by Stanley Anderson, Willie Kensey, and then Doc Roberson. Shortly thereafter, Eugene Record left, and David Scott and Danny Johnson entered. More personnel changes ensued, when Johnson was replaced by Vandy Hampton in 1977.

At that point, the group totally disintegrated, but re-formed in 1980, with the mid 1960s quartet of Record, Thompson, Jones, and Lester back together. Creadel Jones left for a second time in 1982, and the group was a trio. Record left again in 1988, and new lead Frank Reed was recruited, considered by many to be one of the best in the group's history. Reed left for reasons unknown, and singer Anthony Watson would join the group. [[Lester took over singing lead on "Oh Girl", while Watson led on their other songs.) By then, the group also featured a female member.

Once the hits had completely dried up, further changes took place. Around 1989, Jones returned again, but would subsequently leave. Throughout the 1990s, Watson left twice. Each time Reed took over as lead singer. In 2002, the group was composed of Marshall Thompson, Robert Lester, Anthony Watson, and Tara Henderson. Watson left for a third time.

The present day Chi-Lites line-up includes original member Marshall Thompson [[leader of the group), Frank Reed, lead vocals), Fred Simon [[tenor and bass), [[from The Lost Generation) and Tara Thompson [[background vocals).

Robert Lester died on January 21, 2010 at Roseland Hospital in Chicago after a long battle with liver cancer. He was 67.

The Chi-Lites were inducted into The [[R/B Hall Of Fame) in 2000. The Chi-Lites were inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 2005.

MissLish Guest
    The Chi-lights were the shit! Another falsetto served up lusciously!

Chicago's Own.........

Of course they are one of my favorite Chicago Groups. Unbeknown to most folk, Marshall has worked for years on ensuring the integrity of their brand. Early in their career they were also known locally as Marshall & The Chilites. Marshall never one to shy away from the limelight was always seen in clubs, heard on radio stations and promoting all sorts of events and parties throughout his tenure with the group. As noted he is the last original member performing. Although he wasn't the most talented of the group he certainly was the most well known. A caring, gracious and very funny man, I have met and chatted with him over the years far too many times to count. I last spoke with him this summer during the Temptations/4 Tops Show at Ravinia.

For those audiophiles who reside here may I recommend a very comprehensive set of their recordings:

Name:  515FDWN1hkL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  25.8 KBName:  51aqyr6EfUL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  25.4 KB

All of my personal favorites are included in this set including their work with the great Jackie Wilson. more later............

I agree, Marshall Thompson is and always was a professional. Very popular. I did not realize the group had been around so long starting out in 1960.......AMAZING!

I loved Oh Girl and Have You Seen Her back in the day. Havnt got them now. ..Paulo xxxx

MissLish Guest
    LOL! Those two songs remind me of doing the Slow-Drag in basement quarter parties, with the red uncovered light in the ceiling.

Miss Lish yes honey that was : The Devil Is Doing His Work ! We used to alternate the lights.... red in front, blue in back.....oh hell yeah kool aids great ! Quarter parties, rent parties and waist line parties.......its getting hot in here.....

The Chi-Lites are due to perfom in the UK shortly with Mary Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Miss Lish yes honey that was : The Devil Is Doing His Work ! We used to alternate the lights.... red in front, blue in back.....oh hell yeah kool aids great ! Quarter parties, rent parties and waist line parties.......its getting hot in here.....
    In Detroit we had the basement parties and here in New York we still have rooftop parties in the summer!

One of their greatest songs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0liUPQMCjlg

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    One of their greatest songs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0liUPQMCjlg

That was a nice one Mikey. They were following their winning formula with the long spoken intro/narration i.e. "Have You Seen Her", "A Letter to Myself" etc.

Now here is the song that they'll probably most remembered for, "Oh Girl".......memories from the summer of 1972!

honest man Guest
    What about IT;S TIME FOR LOVE ,overlooked big hit in the UK 1975, reminds me off Xmas youth club,also another big one YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO, Love the chi lites ,i have those cds listed, brilliant, will have to play soon, i love this site threads like this remind you to get playing ,cheers

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    What about IT;S TIME FOR LOVE ,overlooked big hit in the UK 1975, reminds me off Xmas youth club,also another big one YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO, Love the chi lites ,i have those cds listed, brilliant, will have to play soon, i love this site threads like this remind you to get playing ,cheers
    "It's Time for Love" did not hit big here for some reason. One that did was "Toby" from winter 1974-75. Awesome story telling song.

There use to be debates about the song "Toby". Was it about a girl or a dog? LOL! What do you all think?

LOVED THEM!

Two of their more unsung cuts are the lovely 'Take A Trip To The Islands' & 'You Got To Be The One'.

Eugene & the gang were BAD!

Being a long time fan of the group, I have to say that I was mostly familiar with Marshall, Squirrel, Eugene and Red. Here is a roll call of all past and present members of the Chi-Lites:

current members:
    Marshall Thompson
    Frank Reed
    Fred Simon
    Tara Henderson
    Past members:
    Eugene Record
    Robert "Squirrel" Lester
    Creadel "Red" Jones
    Clarence Johnson
    Stanley Anderson
    Willie Kensey
    Doc Roberson
    David Scott
    Danny Johnson
    Vandy Hampton
    Anthony Watson

Try My Side of Love is a H-U-G-E cha-cha record on the oldies circuit in Philly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqvCztuZ03Y

Not only a great musical group but Eugene and Robert were some of the nicest people you could ever meet and Marshall still is. In 1989, I invited them to the school I taught in to speak to students about their musical heritage. They were so great and even sang "Have You Seen Her" to the students.

I am glad Marshall has kept the name going as kids today still know their music because of sampling.

There use to be debates about the song "Toby". Was it about a girl or a dog? LOL! What do you all think?

@Marv that story was full of it, but quite like/or not .....the song Brandy by the Ojays, Toby was about a young girl who was Eugene's friend, they grew up and apart and when he realized how he felt about her, he returned home and failing to reach her by phone, he went to her house and her mother told him she had died.

Kdub

@Marv that story was full of it, but quite like/or not .....the song Brandy by the Ojays, Toby was about a young girl who was Eugene's friend, they grew up and apart and when he realized how he felt about her, he returned home and failing to reach her by phone, he went to her house and her mother told him she had died.

Kdub

Uh, yeah "Brandy"! We use to debate that one being about a dog too! LOL! It made me go back and really listen to the lyrics back in the summer of 1978, hehehehehehehehe.

Thank you Kdub for clearing that old urban myth up about the song "Toby".

Marv

LOVE the Chi-Lites...always did!!

Best,

Mark

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  21.1 KB
    I love The Chaunteurs', Desideros', Presidents', Hi-Lites' and early Chi-Lites cuts [[up to about 1967). I don't like their '70s music much. But, then I don't like much music created after 1970.

Who doesn't like the chi-lites???are you kidding me one of the all time classic soul groups of any era,i first saw them perform at the howard way back in[1968]with gene chandler when they did a version of the dells[stay in my corner] that was amazing and i've been lucky enough to have seen them many times over the years,i was playing[whole lotta good lovin]just the other day,one of thier songs that gets overlooked is the mini-classic[i like your lovin]from[1970]i love it as well as the killer[being in love]i'm shortly putting together vol.ii of my chi-lites anthology,great great group!

Paladin...

I believe that I've got this right, but as the resident Chi-Town man about town, I humbly bow to your expertize.

Am I correct in believing that it is the voices backing Jackie Wilson on 'Think About The Good Times', as well as Barbara Acklin's 'Someone Else's Arms'?

If so, those backing harmonies on both are pretty damn cool, imho!

Not too many people mention either song, but those "wop-wop-wop-wop-wop-wops" on Think about sound good to my ears & I only wish that Jackie had recorded more songs in that funky vein. As for Barbara's cut, those "Let meeeee's" & "You're gonna be sorry" backgrounds sounded pretty sweet to me.
    Last edited by juicefree20; 02-01-2011 at 02:41 PM.

They also did a version of[someone elses arms].

Indeed, indeed they did, but I think that I like their backgrounds on Barbara's version more than I do their song. Maybe its time to dust it off & give it another listen.

Now, given how Otis mimicked Eugene's voice on the song, I'd have loved to hear them do a version of that 1969 classic, 'I Love You'. That song has The Chi-Lites stamp all over it & it's sad to think of how few people ever mention that song today.

Considering that Eugene had a hand in this song, that makes it Chi-Lites relate. So, here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG7wpvJCSTc

Makes you wanna snap your fingers & 'bop' through the neighborhood on a summer afternoon. A Chi-Town classic, if ever there were one!

Might as well add the flip, which is another gorgeous Eugene Record collabo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj4Z2Cx1izA

I love this ballad that 'mmmm-mmmmmmmm' which leads into the instrumental break & that fade just knocks me out. I just wish that someone could tell me the line that he sings before the line "By your love I was bound". K-DUB...ANYONE...HELP!!!

All these years later, I STILL can't figure out that line!
    Last edited by juicefree20; 02-01-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Juice man thats a tough one, Back in the day my friends and I [[ while singing in hallways and such) had similar issues with this tune, but " I always heard..."just like being snowbound"......dont shoot the messenger.......lol......

And yes Juice that's why I mentioned their work with Jackie Wilson in my original post and at Ms. Lish, veiled as it was........

About "I Love You" great song but it always reminded me of Brenton Woods tenor on Oogum Boogum.....
    Last edited by paladin; 02-01-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Kdub...

You know, considering that we're talking about Chi-Town & it's notorious 'Hawk', being snowbound makes perfect sense to me. Though it sounded to me like he was saying something about being bound, that line never occurred to me.

Likely because he his next line also ends with bound, a lyrical coupling that I've rarely encountered in music.

Your thoughts make perfect sense to me & I thank you for clearing up the mystery. man, i can't tell you how many times I've replayed that line, trying to figure it out.

Which accounts for my lack of hair in the frontal region of my scalp!

Thanks Bro, as always, this is greatly appreciated!

You've gotta love this place!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

Now that's a happy song!

I agree Juice, its rare that back then you would use similar couplings but all that has changed with todays music. Give it a listen and insert those words, I'm sure you will, but this type of thing occurs more often than not with 1st tenor singers, whose enunciation is so soft sometimes you go What'd he Say ?

Love The Chi-Lites and one simply cannot leave off one of the greatest tunes ever, "Living in the Footsteps of Another Man," by far my favorite tune of their's, and I like a lot of their songs.

Since I didn't get a chance to jump in this thread from the beginning, here's my of my favorites by the group.
    [[I prefer the album tracks instead of the major hits we all know)

Quote Originally Posted by tsull1 View Post
    love the chi-lites and one simply cannot leave off one of the greatest tunes ever, "living in the footsteps of another man," by far my favorite tune of their's, and i like a lot of their songs.
    tsull great minds think alike[living in the footsteps]is also my fav from the chi-lites,this song is a killer from start to finish...his baby's here so is his darling dear his child bears his name,can't face my friends i'm so ashamed...a killer!!!

Jai & Tsull: How about when he steps back a minute and croons ala Eddie Kendricks on "Being In Love", he maintains his trademark whine, but along with the backgrounds and his delivery always reminded me of The Tempts......gotta love those fellas.....

jai & tsull: How about when he steps back a minute and croons ala eddie kendricks on "being in love", he maintains his trademark whine, but along with the backgrounds and his delivery always reminded me of the tempts......gotta love those fellas.....
    oh yeah i mentioned[being in love]my second fav,great great song!!

Whoa !

Jai I just realized how great an album A Lonely Man was, partly because I was looking for something else and just put it on the table and said dam they jammin:

"Track List" :

Side one

Oh Girl
    Living in The Footsteps
    Love Is
    Being In Love
    A Lonely Man

Side 2
    The Man & Woman Boy and Girl
    Ain't too Much of Nothing
    Inner City Blues
    Coldest days of My Life

The songs from this album are mentioned quite frequently here, surely this was a landmark album for them, really makes me proud. Yikes this was released in 1972 and has withstood the test of time. The Chicago Skyline has changed quite a bit since then but not the quality of their music.

Name:  lites.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  29.5 KB

Jaming to "Living in the Footsteps" right now, awesome! And yes, wow, "A Lonely Man" is a classic album. Man, they could write some sad songs, those long, sad, ballads ... I always think twice if I'm feeling depressed as to whether to spin a Chi-Lites album, though they have some great upbeat tunes, "Giving It Away" and others. "Toby" and "Coldest Days of My Life" will rip your heat out, though in a good way. Sounds so darn good.

On "A Lonely Man" album, I like "Ain't Too Much of Nothing" a very sweet tune.

The group really had it going.

honest man Guest
    what about NEVER HAD IT SO GOOD [FELT SO BAD]Wonderful music-group. cheers

Hi this is Kev-Lo

The chi-Lites were definitely one of the baddest groups in the early 70's. Seen them many times live and always put on such great shows. I love all of their songs. I think everbody's comments speaks for itself about them. Thanks Marv2 for posting this. A great thread

Hot on a thing called love...kicks some serious soul booty too!!!

I don't toss out the term "musical genius" very often, but Eugene Record is one, I believe. I also believe Marshall Thompson was a producer on many of the tracks, so two geniuses in one group!

Talk about a unique sound. When you hear The Chi-Lites you know it's "The Chi-Lites. While I simply love their upbeat tunes like "Give It Away" and "I like Your Loving [[Do you like Mine)" it's the story tunes that really separate them into greatness. While "Living in the Footsteps of Another Man" has an upbeat tempo, the tale is told: the guy is struggling. Add tear jerkers "Toby", "Oh Girl", "Have You Seen Her", "Coldest Days of My Life" and on and on and on, and truly this is one of the greatest groups ever.

... I'm off to find a copy of "A Lonely Man" this week, CD or vinyl.

OK, decided to rip my soul out this afternoon with this awesome tear-jerker. Man, how do they do it? Such emotion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z56Q_...x=5&playnext=4

Quote Originally Posted by KevLo View Post
    Hi this is Kev-Lo

The chi-Lites were definitely one of the baddest groups in the early 70's. Seen them many times live and always put on such great shows. I love all of their songs. I think everbody's comments speaks for itself about them. Thanks Marv2 for posting this. A great thread
    Kev-Lo, you're welcome. I happy to see so many share the same great taste in music [[smile) "Chi-Lites Forever!"

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    The Chi-Lites are due to perfom in the UK shortly with Mary Wilson.
    UMMM. No wonder they're getting another shout out here. Don't we discuss them regularly?
    MIGHT AS WELL MENTION MY Chi-lites FAVORITE: What Do I Wish For?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 02-06-2011 at 07:03 PM.

My track.....Too Good To Be Forgotten

They are on tour in the UK next month, opening for Mary Wilson

I really liked the song "Toby" and remember them performing it on the Sammy Davis, Jr. Show, or perhaps it was when he
    was hosting the Tonight Show. Comedian Totie Fields was on the show and thought they were singing about her.
    She wanted to thank them she said cause it was really nice and she doesn't even know them.
    Anyway, I saw them in the 90s on a show that included Lesley Gore and Ronnie Spector in Ft. Lauderdale. They actually
    drove rather than fly and were very late arriving. The show had begun. So they worked them in and they delivered a
    great performance. Their guitar player kind of had to cue the band because they didn't get to rehearse or do a sound
    check. But the Chi-Lites had the audience screamin'. They were fantastic! The kind of drove in and dove in
    No, can u imagine driving all the way from Chicago to south Florida and having to go right on stage. They did.
    But they had had car trouble.
    Anyway, they were featured on a compilation CD back in the '90s that also featured Ronnie Spector and did a great
    song. Can't remember the name of it, but it's really the best song on the CD.

I followed Paladin's lead -- as I usually do in musical matters -- and picked up the 2 double-CD's off Amazon [[importcds.com) for an incredible $11.35 each [[plus shipping). Best musical investment I've made in awhile. I now have all the Brunswick albums on CD, somewhere around 75 songs or so.

While I had a few of these tunes previously, I've been rewarded with many songs I hadn't heard, including a bonus track, "You've Got Me Walkin'" which is awesome.

Hours and hours of listening pleasure, it's been great listening.

Eugene Record, I would consider a musical genius; and all the other members of The Chi-Lites as well as their backing musicians, writers, producers, and arrangers, are excellent, too. They REALLY had it going on!