[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: NY Soul-?

NY Soul-?

I can think of a number of examples of LA Soul, Chicago, Detroit etc. Besides/including Scepter/Wand, Im wondering about other examples of NY soul and how it would be defined, perhaps compared to-as Stax vs Motown. Thanks.

we had this not that long ago,i've been looking thru old threads and i havent found it.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  21.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I can think of a number of examples of LA Soul, Chicago, Detroit etc. Besides/including Scepter/Wand, Im wondering about other examples of NY soul and how it would be defined, perhaps compared to-as Stax vs Motown. Thanks.
    New York Soul [[1960-) didn't have a distinctive sound of its own. There was a distinctive New York sound in R&B from 1956-59. But, in the 1960s, there were several different styles of Soul music being made in New York [[ Don Costa and his elaborate strings and orchestration, Bert Berns, Robert Bateman/Richard Tee [[Detroit style sound), Teacho Wilshire, Van McCoy, etc.).
    Last edited by robb_k; 01-29-2011 at 03:33 AM.

New York has no soul, it is EVIL!..........hehehehehe!

Thx Rob-would you say Scepter/Wand? Marv-maybe u r right!

I would say that New York's role was mainly that of a conduit of sorts in the 60's. The Brill Building ,maybe say Atlantic Records ,some studios and publishing houses ,etc. Soul followed the same route as the underground railroad ,from the south to the north and from N.Y to the rest of the world. A lot of 60's Soul/R&B was conceived down south and or recorded here by people from outside the N.Y. area. Our [[N.Y.) only true claim to fame as far as originators of major genres is concerned , other than Be-Bop Jazz in the late 40's, was not until the early 70's with the advent of the 12" single , Hip Hop/Rap and in the the late 70's early 80's with "The New Jack Swing". Those things we can't deny and stand firm behind..

Marv,....Don't risk having your H.O. Resident Green Card status changed , the word is "Sinister" ,NOT "EVIL"!!!!!!