[REMOVE ADS]

Dramatics on Unsung

One of my favorite R&B groups of all time, will be on Unsung tonight at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    One of my favorite R&B groups of all time, will be on Unsung tonight at 11:00 PM.
    Thanks C.K.! I'll be watching.

That should be awesome...I teach autistic young adults age 18-25 and The Dramatics and Spinners are one of my 19 year old''s favorite groups

Being they are from Detroit, I have been literally screaming to anyone that would listen, that they should have a episode of Unsung. My prayers were answered.

Thanks for the reminder!

Here it is folks.....

Enjoyed this. One of the better Unsung's I've seen. Dramatics were truly a great group, and Tony Hester was a very underrated song writer. Everything he wrote for them was a hit. Very sad he couldn't overcome his demons, and his life was cut short at 34.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here it is folks.....

Thanx for posting Marv2

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Thanx for posting Marv2
    You're welcome. This needed to be a minimum of 90 mins. They didn't even mention Craig Jones or Steven Boyd or any of the replacements after LJ Reynolds. I was hoping they'd mention the "Shake It Well" album or Ron Banks Coats for Kids Christmas Charity he ran every year in Detroit.

I remember the last time I saw the "Classic Dramatics" was in 1987 when my mother's bowling league hired them for a show. I saw LJ and his group in the Summer of 2014.

Thank you, Marv!

You're right that there's a lot they left out, but for a 40-minute documentary that was quite good.

http://www.soulexpress.net/dramatics_discography.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Thank you, Marv!

You're right that there's a lot they left out, but for a 40-minute documentary that was quite good.

http://www.soulexpress.net/dramatics_discography.htm

Best regards
    Heikki
    You're most welcome Heikki and thanks for that link!

I remember the last time I saw the "Classic Dramatics" was in 1987 when my mother's bowling league hired them for a show. I saw LJ and his group in the Summer of 2014.
    Thanks Marv! That was great.

Am I understanding correctly that there's are two Dramatics touring?

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Thanks Marv! That was great.

Am I understanding correctly that there's are two Dramatics touring?
    You're welcome Luciano. Yes there are now two groups. Willie Ford's group and LJ Reynolds group.

You're welcome Luciano. Yes there are now two groups. Willie Ford's group and LJ Reynolds group.
    Thanks Marv! Is there a reason why they are not working together?

Think Ron Banks was the glue that held the group together and after his death they fell out. LJ seems a very strong character and as principal lead singer must have wanted to make it 'his' group. I've seen Willie speaking about the split, referring to LJ as 'Mr Reynolds'

Hi!

Here you have comments from Willie and L.J. after the split happened:

http://www.soulexpress.net/deep2_2012.htm#dramatics

Best regards
    Heikki

... and here's the official announcement from last December:

Legendary Group Member of The Dramatics,
    L.J. Reynolds Settles Dispute with
    The Estate of Former Dramatics Member Ronald Dean Banks

[[Detroit, MI – December 22, 2016) – In a long-term dispute over the controlling interest of R&B ‘70s soul group, the legendary Dramatics, L.J. Reynolds and Sandra Banks, wife and Estate representative of deceased group member Ronald Dean Banks mutually agree that the Estate of Ronald Dean Banks shall receive a fee from each concert performed by The Dramatics featuring L.J. Reynolds. To keep Banks’ legacy alive and to contribute to the welfare of his wife and children, both Reynolds and Sandra Banks are united in their decision to do what’s best for the legacy and the brand of the group. As the lead singer of the group, Reynolds continues to handle the day-to-day business management, promotion, marketing and merchandising of the group. For over four decades, The Dramatics dazzling vocal blend wowed audiences all over the world. With nearly 40 Top ten singles, The Dramatics displayed a distinctive sound with a blend of rich harmonies of lead and background vocals that transcended music, genres, and generations. With Reynolds’ powerful and soulful tenor and charismatic energy, The Dramatics music continues to shine.

With a cascade of classics, The Dramatics delivered timeless hits such as “Whatcha See is Whatcha Get,” “Get Up and Get Down,” “In the Rain,” “Fall in Love, Lady Love,” “Hey You, Get Off My Mountain,” “Fell For You,” “Thankful For Your Love,” “And I Panicked,” “My Ship Won’t Sail Without You,” “Door To Your Heart,” “Your Fooling You,” “[[I’m Going By) The Stars In Your Eyes,” “Me And Mrs. Jones,” “The Dramatic Theme/Treat Me Like A Man,” “Just Shopping [[Not Buying Anything),” “Be My Girl,” “I Can’t Get Over You,” “Do What You Wanna To Do,” “Shake It Well,” “Stop Your Weeping,” “That’s My Favorite Song,” “Welcome Back Home,” “It Ain’t Rainin’ [[On Nobody’s House But Mine),” “Be With The One You Love,” and “Somewhere in Time,” as well as other countless masterpieces.

The group ushered in a new generation of fans to the power of The Dramatics’ sound when they collaborated with Snoop Dogg to create the hip-hop classic, “Doggy Dogg World.” Later, the Dramatics partnered with Snoop and recorded “Ballin’.” The group released, The Very Best Christmas, a timeless holiday album, and The Dramatics: Greatest Hits Live, a live CD recorded at a concert in New Haven, Connecticut.

Reynolds’ current solo album, Get To This features the hit single, “Come Get to This/Stepping Out Tonight,” which peaked at No. 24 on Mediabase’s Urban Adult Contemporary chart. Other chart toppers include “Cheating on Me,” and “You Sure Love to Ball,” each song has an accompanying video on YouTube.

Reynolds’ forthcoming and ninth solo album is scheduled for release in the second quarter of 2017. He has recorded and produced a remake of Marvin Gaye’s classic, “Mercy, Mercy Me/Stop The War, Save The World” [[I Just Can’t Stop Dancing). He also rerecorded a brand new version of his 70s hit classic, “Key To The World,” now retitled “Giving All My Love, Key To The World.” He rededicates this song to his lifelong fans. The album will also feature “Bad Girl,” featuring The Dramatics.

At the age of five, the Saginaw and Detroit native began performing as a member of Ziggy Johnson’s High Steppers. A tap dancer, young Reynolds was the only boy among 30 girls who comprised of the children’s dance troupe, a popular attraction in Michigan and throughout Canada. Then, one day, producer Johnson asked Reynolds and sister to sing a number in the show. “People started throwing money on the stage when we started singing,” Reynolds recalls. “So I figured I better stick to singing.” Although Reynolds is best-known for his robust lead vocals on such classics by The Dramatics as “Fell For You,” “Door To Your Heart,” “Me and Mrs. Jones,” Reynolds also made some distinguished gospel recordings including The Winans’ signature hit, “Tomorrow.”

For additional information on L.J. Reynolds and The Dramatics, please contact:
    L.J. Reynolds office at 248.579.6867 or Brian A. Spears at 702.361.1626.

GWENDOLYN QUINN
    However, as stated earlier, there's also Willie Ford's group still touring and performing.

Best regards
    Heikki

Probably the usual. Just can't get along. LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Think Ron Banks was the glue that held the group together and after his death they fell out. LJ seems a very strong character and as principal lead singer must have wanted to make it 'his' group. I've seen Willie speaking about the split, referring to LJ as 'Mr Reynolds'
    Ron Banks was an uncrowned prince! The prince of Detroit I'd say. If people only knew the amount of charity work he was involved in for decades, they'd erect a statute of him in his honor. The man was noble and generous.

Hi!

Best regards
    Heikki
    Heikki, they should have used you as a consultant on the Dramatics Unsung episode. I am sure you would have brought more to the party than some of those regulars they use as "music historians" featured.

... and here's the official announcement from last December:

Legendary Group Member of The Dramatics,
    L.J. Reynolds Settles Dispute with
    The Estate of Former Dramatics Member Ronald Dean Banks

[[Detroit, MI – December 22, 2016) – In a long-term dispute over the controlling interest of R&B ‘70s soul group, the legendary Dramatics, L.J. Reynolds and Sandra Banks, wife and Estate representative of deceased group member Ronald Dean Banks mutually agree that the Estate of Ronald Dean Banks shall receive a fee from each concert performed by The Dramatics featuring L.J. Reynolds. To keep Banks’ legacy alive and to contribute to the welfare of his wife and children, both Reynolds and Sandra Banks are united in their decision to do what’s best for the legacy and the brand of the group. As the lead singer of the group, Reynolds continues to handle the day-to-day business management, promotion, marketing and merchandising of the group. For over four decades, The Dramatics dazzling vocal blend wowed audiences all over the world. With nearly 40 Top ten singles, The Dramatics displayed a distinctive sound with a blend of rich harmonies of lead and background vocals that transcended music, genres, and generations. With Reynolds’ powerful and soulful tenor and charismatic energy, The Dramatics music continues to shine.

With a cascade of classics, The Dramatics delivered timeless hits such as “Whatcha See is Whatcha Get,” “Get Up and Get Down,” “In the Rain,” “Fall in Love, Lady Love,” “Hey You, Get Off My Mountain,” “Fell For You,” “Thankful For Your Love,” “And I Panicked,” “My Ship Won’t Sail Without You,” “Door To Your Heart,” “Your Fooling You,” “[[I’m Going By) The Stars In Your Eyes,” “Me And Mrs. Jones,” “The Dramatic Theme/Treat Me Like A Man,” “Just Shopping [[Not Buying Anything),” “Be My Girl,” “I Can’t Get Over You,” “Do What You Wanna To Do,” “Shake It Well,” “Stop Your Weeping,” “That’s My Favorite Song,” “Welcome Back Home,” “It Ain’t Rainin’ [[On Nobody’s House But Mine),” “Be With The One You Love,” and “Somewhere in Time,” as well as other countless masterpieces.

The group ushered in a new generation of fans to the power of The Dramatics’ sound when they collaborated with Snoop Dogg to create the hip-hop classic, “Doggy Dogg World.” Later, the Dramatics partnered with Snoop and recorded “Ballin’.” The group released, The Very Best Christmas, a timeless holiday album, and The Dramatics: Greatest Hits Live, a live CD recorded at a concert in New Haven, Connecticut.

Reynolds’ current solo album, Get To This features the hit single, “Come Get to This/Stepping Out Tonight,” which peaked at No. 24 on Mediabase’s Urban Adult Contemporary chart. Other chart toppers include “Cheating on Me,” and “You Sure Love to Ball,” each song has an accompanying video on YouTube.

Reynolds’ forthcoming and ninth solo album is scheduled for release in the second quarter of 2017. He has recorded and produced a remake of Marvin Gaye’s classic, “Mercy, Mercy Me/Stop The War, Save The World” [[I Just Can’t Stop Dancing). He also rerecorded a brand new version of his 70s hit classic, “Key To The World,” now retitled “Giving All My Love, Key To The World.” He rededicates this song to his lifelong fans. The album will also feature “Bad Girl,” featuring The Dramatics.

At the age of five, the Saginaw and Detroit native began performing as a member of Ziggy Johnson’s High Steppers. A tap dancer, young Reynolds was the only boy among 30 girls who comprised of the children’s dance troupe, a popular attraction in Michigan and throughout Canada. Then, one day, producer Johnson asked Reynolds and sister to sing a number in the show. “People started throwing money on the stage when we started singing,” Reynolds recalls. “So I figured I better stick to singing.” Although Reynolds is best-known for his robust lead vocals on such classics by The Dramatics as “Fell For You,” “Door To Your Heart,” “Me and Mrs. Jones,” Reynolds also made some distinguished gospel recordings including The Winans’ signature hit, “Tomorrow.”

For additional information on L.J. Reynolds and The Dramatics, please contact:
    L.J. Reynolds office at 248.579.6867 or Brian A. Spears at 702.361.1626.

GWENDOLYN QUINN
    However, as stated earlier, there's also Willie Ford's group still touring and performing.

Best regards
    Heikki
    Sounds like a statement written by LJ's PR man!!!

As Marv stated, Ron was just the nicest man with me and my students!

Some people are what I call "fake" care giving people who are great to meet and talk with but you know that they are just doing another "Meet and Greet" and they are biding their time. Ron was never like that and I remember the first time I met him as I was in my second year of teaching and he made sure to introduce me to the other Dramatics. I told him about my idea to have kids learn about their musical heritage and he was on board right then.

Our last telephone interview with Ron was a month before he died and as usual, he was wonderful, down to earth and great. He was interviewed by a student who had to move into a youth shelter because his mother was terribly abusive and this young man asked me if I knew anyone from The Dramatics. I called Ron and later, the two talked about Dramatics and music but then Ron talked about life. The two talked for over an hour and I was the one who actually had to ask Ron to maybe stop and we could do another call but he said NO.

I remember hearing when Ron died and I called the shelter and they NEVER let anyone just call but I was allowed to tell my student that Ron had passed. That night, he created a tribute to Ron and me and I felt BLESSED. I wish I still have it but an old computer died and it is lost.

I watched the Unsung episode and it was wonderful. We have a "Wall of Fame" autograph wall that is now eight walls but Wall 1 has a great autograph from Ron, Willie, LJ, Lenny and Steve.

Hi!

Best regards
    Heikki
    Thanks so much Heikki! Greatly appreciate it.

Heikki, they should have used you as a consultant on the Dramatics Unsung episode. I am sure you would have brought more to the party than some of those regulars they use as "music historians" featured.
    Marv, "Music Historian" like Snoop Dogg?

Hi!

Best regards
    Heikki
    Just as I suspected.........they just can't get along! LOL!!!! Happens to the best of them.

Marv, "Music Historian" like Snoop Dogg?
    Yeah, then that guy with the real big lips that use on just about every episode. He seems to young to have been around during these artists heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by satipe View Post
    As Marv stated, Ron was just the nicest man with me and my students!

Some people are what I call "fake" care giving people who are great to meet and talk with but you know that they are just doing another "Meet and Greet" and they are biding their time. Ron was never like that and I remember the first time I met him as I was in my second year of teaching and he made sure to introduce me to the other Dramatics. I told him about my idea to have kids learn about their musical heritage and he was on board right then.

Our last telephone interview with Ron was a month before he died and as usual, he was wonderful, down to earth and great. He was interviewed by a student who had to move into a youth shelter because his mother was terribly abusive and this young man asked me if I knew anyone from The Dramatics. I called Ron and later, the two talked about Dramatics and music but then Ron talked about life. The two talked for over an hour and I was the one who actually had to ask Ron to maybe stop and we could do another call but he said NO.

I remember hearing when Ron died and I called the shelter and they NEVER let anyone just call but I was allowed to tell my student that Ron had passed. That night, he created a tribute to Ron and me and I felt BLESSED. I wish I still have it but an old computer died and it is lost.

I watched the Unsung episode and it was wonderful. We have a "Wall of Fame" autograph wall that is now eight walls but Wall 1 has a great autograph from Ron, Willie, LJ, Lenny and Steve.
    Satipe, thank you for that story about Ron and your students. I'll add that I have never, ever seen a celebrity as selfless as Ron Banks! As far back as the 70s during the holiday season, he would put on celebrity charity basketball games featuring himself, the Dramatics, other local, but nationally known artist vs some of the popular DJ's in the city. I can remember Ron Banks standing for hours handing out winter coats and shoes to Detroit kids at Cobo Hall! He never stopped from the moment he achieved fame until the end he was trying to help somebody and God Bless him!

Thank you, Marv and Luciano!

Actually those Unsung people turned to me once, but that was for the Manhattans episode and they only wanted photos. My 5-part story on the group is online, anyway. I forwarded them to Jeanie Scott, who submitted some wonderful photos.

I totally agree with you, Marv and Satipe - Ron was one of the nicest people I've ever talked to. He was always free to share his memories and knowledge. It was hard to get over his passing.

Best regards
    Heikki