[REMOVE ADS]

REMINDER - Sunday 7/23 - TV One Switch Unsung

Just a reminder to all forum members:

Tonight Sunday 7/23 10:00 P.M. TV ONE
    Switch - UNSUNG
    This is scheduled to run for 1:18.

After that there is a :52 minute Debarge segment.

Didn't want anyone to forget about it.

Thanks for the reminder Woodward.

The DVR was set yesterday!

It was a good show. I was a bit surprised that after not seeing the members of Switch for something like 30 plus years, I did not recognize them at first. But overall a good show.

We really enjoyed it. Parts were hard to watch, but it was well-executed and long overdue.

I think TVOne's gotten the memo that the show was losing its focus on the truly "unsung"; next week, The Dramatics will be spotlit! Great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    We really enjoyed it. Parts were hard to watch, but it was well-executed and long overdue.

I think TVOne's gotten the memo that the show was losing its focus on the truly "unsung"; next week, The Dramatics will be spotlit! Great choice.
    Now the Dramatics story should take about 2-3 hours it is that interesting.

From the Ebony website:

Additional artists honored this season will be Marvin Sapp, Switch, The Dramatics, Shanice and Ice-T.

They certainly were unsung. I never heard of them or their music.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    From the Ebony website:

Additional artists honored this season will be Marvin Sapp, Switch, The Dramatics, Shanice and Ice-T.

I find them doing an episode on ice t interesting seeing he's on tv virtually every week with law and order svu but music wise it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I find them doing an episode on ice t interesting seeing he's on tv virtually every week with law and order svu but music wise it makes sense.
    Ever notice that the focus of Unsung is artists from mostly 70s,80s, 90s and 00s? Not many episodes on folks from the 50s and 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    They certainly were unsung. I never heard of them or their music.
    You must not have / had a decent enough R&B station that plays / played classic R&B in your area, or not listened to the radio in big cities. Switch has been / had been / is, depending on if there's any "Quiet Storm" formatted programs on your local area stations, a regular enough fixtures on Quiet Storms. But if there is none in area, or if the program plays more everyone else, carry on.

But I love Switch. Quite fondly cherished enough listens to "There'll Never Be" and "I Call Your Name" and "Love Over And Over Again" back when my area still had such decent classic R&B stations that had a "Quiet Storm" evening program format.

Always knew Unsung should have done more coverage for them than "There'll Never Be" and stepping stone for the rest of the DeBarge Family.

But I thought the story was, after he left the group and before he was imprisoned, Bobby joined DeBarge after they left Motown and joined another record company for one album, even that it tanked. But, I suppose such information was not used in the DeBarge episode either, since it was a post-Motown album that didn't match their greatness at Motown.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 07-25-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ever notice that the focus of Unsung is artists from mostly 70s,80s, 90s and 00s? Not many episodes on folks from the 50s and 60s.
    Ike Turner
    Bobby Womack
    Marvelettes
    Mary Wells
    Florence Ballard
    Tammi Terrell
    David Ruffin
    Eddie Kendricks
    the Spinners
    Wilson Pickett
    Otis Redding
    Johnnie Taylor
    Isaac Hayes
    Lou Rawls
    James Brown

as well as acts such as the Manhattans, O'Jays, Emotions, and Whispers, who started, some of them even made their first marks on the R&B charts in the sixties, with the Dramatics counting under that category also.

My question, more specifically, why not, since about 100% of them are pretty well known / remembered nevertheless, why not real "unsung" fifties-sixties singers, like, say, Sylvia Robinson, or Linda Jones, or Bettye Swann, or Barbara Mason, or Brenda and the Tabulations, or Ruby and the Romantics, or the Masqueraders?
    Last edited by Ngroove; 07-25-2017 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Ike Turner
    Bobby Womack
    Marvelettes
    Mary Wells
    Florence Ballard
    Tammi Terrell
    David Ruffin
    Eddie Kendricks
    the Spinners
    Wilson Pickett
    Otis Redding
    Johnnie Taylor
    Isaac Hayes
    Lou Rawls
    James Brown

as well as acts such as the Manhattans, O'Jays, Emotions, and Whispers, who started, some of them even made their first marks on the R&B charts in the sixties, with the Dramatics counting under that category also.

My question, more specifically, why not, since about 100% of them are pretty well known / remembered nevertheless, why not real "unsung" fifties-sixties singers, like, say, Sylvia Robinson, or Linda Jones, or Bettye Swann, or Barbara Mason, or Brenda and the Tabulations, or Ruby and the Romantics, or the Masqueraders?
    Thanks NGroove. The second part of your post is more of what I was getting at. There were many from those years that are truly Unsung.

Probably has a lot to do with interest. While the tone of the show is supposedly "unsung", most of the people showcased are pretty well known even outside of serious music lovers. TV One operates like any other television station: always asking who or what is going to pull in the ratings. While I would KILL for an episode on Linda Jones, I'm not convinced it would pull in "crazy" ratings. And I suspect neither would the TV One execs.

Always knew Unsung should have done more coverage for them than "There'll Never Be" and stepping stone for the rest of the DeBarge Family.

But I thought the story was, after he left the group and before he was imprisoned, Bobby joined DeBarge after they left Motown and joined another record company for one album, even that it tanked. But, I suppose such information was not used in the DeBarge episode either, since it was a post-Motown album that didn't match their greatness at Motown.
    I believe they were a quartet at this time, with El and Bunny gone, but Bobby included. I remember them doing a guest spot on PUNKY BREWSTER.
    Last edited by reese; 07-25-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Probably has a lot to do with interest. While the tone of the show is supposedly "unsung", most of the people showcased are pretty well known even outside of serious music lovers. TV One operates like any other television station: always asking who or what is going to pull in the ratings. While I would KILL for an episode on Linda Jones, I'm not convinced it would pull in "crazy" ratings. And I suspect neither would the TV One execs.
    Agreed. Their audience probably skews on the younger side, which would explain the increased rap artists' spotlights when compared to the earlier shows.