[REMOVE ADS]

"Mother you..." Supremes studio footage

Fantastic footage I haven't seen in a long time. Wish there were more.

That's amazing, never would have dreamed to see studio footage of the Supremes doing their thing in the studio. Pity it's so short a clip. Loved it.

The clip always seemed to me to be staged and lip-synched but I could certainly be wrong on this. I kind of thought the instrumentalists and vocalists might not have been in the same space, even if they were recording their parts simultaneously. I seem to recall that the strings were recorded separately, and I see no strings here, so perhaps at least that much is correct. I'm sure someone in here knows more about all this.

Wasn't this a part of a tv special at the time? It's definitely staged.

It was shown on Motown 40. But I di think this was staged for a special

I think there might have been a thread recently on what the purpose of this footage was . There is a photo from it in the 1967 Supremes program but it doesn't name what it was filmed for.

I'm sure it was staged, just as THE ANATOMY OF POP clip was. By this time, they were recording to track. Not sure if the girls were even recording together at this time.

It is a cute clip though. When it was shown during MOTOWN 40, the clip ended with Lamont Dozier stopping the band and saying something like "Benny, stop rushing the tempo," which made everyone break up laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'm sure it was staged, just as THE ANATOMY OF POP clip was.
    That one definitely was faked!

Last edited by BigAl; 07-21-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think there might have been a thread recently on what the purpose of this footage was . There is a photo from it in the 1967 Supremes program but it doesn't name what it was filmed for.

I'm sure it was staged, just as THE ANATOMY OF POP clip was. By this time, they were recording to track. Not sure if the girls were even recording together at this time.

It is a cute clip though. When it was shown during MOTOWN 40, the clip ended with Lamont Dozier stopping the band and saying something like "Benny, stop rushing the tempo," which made everyone break up laughing.
    Reese, it is a very cute clip. What makes what Lamont Dozier said to Benny Benjamin probably break up everyone in laughter was because everyone knew Benny could play like a metronome with so much accuracy. It's like telling Barbra Streisand to sing on pitch [[Please, no negative comments regarding this analogy from the Donald Downers. I mentioned her because she is one of a few singers known to possess perfect pitch).

As has been established, the vocal acts, by this time, were doing their recording sessions with pre-recorded tracks to be sweetened or added onto later.

I am sure it has been mentioned at sometime on this forum, but I am not sure when the vocal acts and the backing band began primarily recording their tracks at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    That one definitely was faked!

I remember seeing this one on TV as a little kid. LOL!!!