[REMOVE ADS]

Bobby Taylor Ailing with Throat Cancer

From Soul Tracks.com,

Bobby Taylor has been a legend in the annals of Motown for two reasons: He was the lead vocalist of the group Bobby Taylor & the Vancouvers, which scored with the hit “Does Your Mama Know About Me” in 1968; but perhaps more importantly, Taylor has been credited by many for discovering The Jackson 5, one of the most important soul music groups of all time. Sadly, Bobby is reportedly suffering from throat cancer and is need of prayers as he prepares for more treatment.The 83 year old Taylor was a doo-wop staple in the 50s, quietly working with such acts as Little Anthony & The Imperials and Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers, before teaming with guitarist Tommy Chong [[yes, the same Tommy Chong who would later be ½ of the comedy duo Cheech and Chong), Eddie Patterson, Wes Henderson, Robbie King and Ted Lewis to form The Vancouvers. Motown signed the sextet and they scored immediately with “Does Your Mama Know About Me,” a hit on both the pop and soul charts. The Vancouvers landed a few more hits, most notably “Malinda,” before splitting up.
    In 1968, after seeing The Jackson 5 perform as a warm up act, Taylor brought the group to the Motown brass, leading to the signing of the quintet that would become Motown’s signature act of the 1970s, and the springboard for Michael Jackson’s historic solo career. And Taylor played a key role. In addition to discovering the group, Taylor mentored the Jackson 5 and helped produce the quintet’s smash debut album.
    Taylor has continued to perform as a solo act over the years, and reunited briefly with The Vancouvers in the 1980s for a recording in the UK.
    As a performer and as a producer, Bobby Taylor has played a key role in the development of soul music over the past half century. We’ll be sending out our prayers for strength and a full recovery.

Accidentally posted this one twice, sorry-ME.

Last edited by Motown Eddie; 07-18-2017 at 05:04 PM.

One of my favorite singers. Prayers go out to the great Bobby Taylor for a full and complete recovery.

Marv

This is sad news. He is such a wonderful singer.

Get well soon Bobby.

Very sad indeed