[REMOVE ADS]

Great Motown: the 1980s

It's pretty indisputable that the 1960s churned out the bulk of the greatest music that Motown had to offer. The 1970s was definitely when the magic began to fade, but most of us diehard Motown fans still think there was a lot of great stuff to be found on the label. But what about the 1980s?

Is there any music that came out of Motown [[a particular song, a particular album) in the 80s that you think should be allowed to occupy space alongside the discussion of Motown greats from the 60s like "Please Mr. Postman", "My Girl" and "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" or classic albums from the 70s like What's Going On or Songs In the Key of Life?

FANTASTIC QUESTION, RANRAN!

I love '80s Motown... it's underrated IMO. It's difficult to place songs from the '80s alongside the '60s stuff for me though, mainly 'cause it's so different.

Hmm... there are a few ones that jump out at me... The Temptations' "Treat Her Like A Lady", "Standing On The Top", "Power"... Dennis Edwards' "Don't Look Any Further"... Jermaine Jackson's "Lets Get Serious"... Rick James' "Super Freak"... The Mary Jane Girls' "All Night Long"... all classics in my opinion, certainly comparable in quality to the '60s classics but I can't talk about them in the same way if you know what I mean.

Now, albums, HMMM, I'm not sure... you could point to Rick James' Street Songs or Stevie's Hotter Than July but I'm not sure if they're considered musical masterpieces like What's Going On or Songs In The Key Of Life.

Interesting!!!!!!

Good question. There we're still some great songs from Motown during the '80s but yes, the magic was fading. Anyway, here's my favorites from that decade-

Smokey Robinson-'Being With You', 'Just To See Her' & 'One Heartbeat'
    Stevie Wonder-'Lately', 'Master Blaster [[Jammin')', 'That Girl', 'Ribbon In The Sky', 'Go Home' & 'Part Time Lover'
    DeBarge-'All This Love', 'Who's Holding Donna Now', 'Love Me In A Special Way' & 'Rhythm Of The Night'
    The Temptations-'Power', 'Sail Away', 'Treat Her Like A Lady', 'Look What You've Started'
    Diana Ross-'I'm Coming Out', 'My Old Piano' & 'Upside Down'
    The Commodores-'Nightshift'
    Mary Jane Girls-'In My House'
    Teena Marie-'I Need Your Lovin', 'Behind The Groove' & 'Square Biz'

Last edited by Motown Eddie; 07-18-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: addition

I have a few albums that I like from the 80's, mostly Smokey, I think that a lot of stuff was getting samey, Peabo Bryson Gerald Alston even TP

Try newly recorded "I'll Try Something New" on "Yes it's you Lady"
    or "Wine, women and Song" on "Warm Thoughts" duet with Claudette

Name:  Great 80's Motown Albums.JPG
Views: 1047
Size:  34.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    FANTASTIC QUESTION, RANRAN!

I love '80s Motown... it's underrated IMO. It's difficult to place songs from the '80s alongside the '60s stuff for me though, mainly 'cause it's so different.

Hmm... there are a few ones that jump out at me... The Temptations' "Treat Her Like A Lady", "Standing On The Top", "Power"... Dennis Edwards' "Don't Look Any Further"... Jermaine Jackson's "Lets Get Serious"... Rick James' "Super Freak"... The Mary Jane Girls' "All Night Long"... all classics in my opinion, certainly comparable in quality to the '60s classics but I can't talk about them in the same way if you know what I mean.

Now, albums, HMMM, I'm not sure... you could point to Rick James' Street Songs or Stevie's Hotter Than July but I'm not sure if they're considered musical masterpieces like What's Going On or Songs In The Key Of Life.

Interesting!!!!!!
    Thanks Tom! I understand what you mean about not being able to discuss the 80s in quite the same way as the 60s stuff. But I love most of your choices, particularly "Treat Her Like a Lady" and "All Night Long".

As far as albums go, I would put Street Songs in the same league as those classic Marvin and Stevie albums, most definitely. Hotter Than July is classic too, but there's two or three songs on it that keeps it from being in the same league as Stevie's 70s output for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Good question. There we're still some great songs from Motown during the '80s but yes, the magic was fading. Anyway, here's my favorites from that decade-

Smokey Robinson-'Being With You', 'Just To See Her' & 'One Heartbeat'
    Stevie Wonder-'Lately', 'Master Blaster [[Jammin')', 'That Girl', 'Ribbon In The Sky', 'Go Home' & 'Part Time Lover'
    DeBarge-'All This Love', 'Who's Holding Donna Now', 'Love Me In A Special Way' & 'Rhythm Of The Night'
    The Temptations-'Power', 'Sail Away', 'Treat Her Like A Lady', 'Look What You've Started'
    Diana Ross-'I'm Coming Out', 'My Old Piano' & 'Upside Down'
    The Commodores-'Nightshift'
    Mary Jane Girls-'In My House'
    Teena Marie-'I Need Your Lovin', 'Behind The Groove' & 'Square Biz'

Thanks for responding Motown Eddie. I'm in total agreement with you on most of these. "Who's Holding Donna Now" is probably my most favorite Debarge song. I have a particularly memory attached to it from my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by RichyP View Post
    I have a few albums that I like from the 80's, mostly Smokey, I think that a lot of stuff was getting samey, Peabo Bryson Gerald Alston even TP

Try newly recorded "I'll Try Something New" on "Yes it's you Lady"
    or "Wine, women and Song" on "Warm Thoughts" duet with Claudette
    Thanks for the suggestions RichyP! Other than some of the singles, I'm not too familiar with Smokey's 80s albums. I definitely have to check out his rerecorded "I'll Try Something New", a song that I love by the Miracles and the Supremes/Temptations.

I'm not really a fan of the song, but I think "Endless Love" is as good as anything Motown released during it's golden age. Same with "Overjoyed" by Stevie. The Mary Jane Girls' self titled album is also excellent. Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down is also an excellent album. I can play that one without skipping a track, which is not something I can say for most of those Motown 60s albums.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    It's pretty indisputable that the 1960s churned out the bulk of the greatest music that Motown had to offer. The 1970s was definitely when the magic began to fade, but most of us diehard Motown fans still think there was a lot of great stuff to be found on the label. But what about the 1980s?

Is there any music that came out of Motown [[a particular song, a particular album) in the 80s that you think should be allowed to occupy space alongside the discussion of Motown greats from the 60s like "Please Mr. Postman", "My Girl" and "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" or classic albums from the 70s like What's Going On or Songs In the Key of Life?
    Master Blaster Jammin' by Stevie Wonder
    Part Time Lover by Stevie Wonder
    Rhythm of the Night by DeBarge
    Super Freak by Rick James
    All Night Long by Mary Jane Girls
    Standing on the Top by the Temptations
    Treat Her Like A Lady by the Temptations
    Sexy Ways by the Four Tops
    All Night Long by Lionel Richie
    Being With You by Smokey Robinson
    Let's Get Serious by Jermaine Jackson
    I Need Your Lovin' by Teena Marie
    Square Biz by Teena Marie
    Don't Look Any Further by Dennis Edwards
    Let It Whip by The Dazz Band
    Don't Take It Personal by Jermaine Jackson
    Give It to Me Baby by Rick James
    Gigolette by Ozone
    Somebody Watching Me by Rockwell
    My Eyes Don't Cry by Stevie Wonder
    Lady Soul by the Temptations

To name a few........
    Last edited by marv2; 07-18-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Oh yeah, "That Girl" by Stevie Wonder definitely! Thanks Motown Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Master Blaster Jammin' by Stevie Wonder
    Part Time Lover by Stevie Wonder
    Rhythm of the Night by DeBarge
    Super Freak by Rick James
    All Night Long by Mary Jane Girls
    Standing on the Top by the Temptations
    Treat Her Like A Lady by the Temptations
    Sexy Ways by the Four Tops
    All Night Long by Lionel Richie
    Being With You by Smokey Robinson
    Let's Get Serious by Jermaine Jackson
    I Need Your Lovin' by Teena Marie
    Square Biz by Teena Marie
    Don't Look Any Further by Dennis Edwards
    Let It Whip by The Dazz Band
    Don't Take It Personal by Jermaine Jackson
    Give It to Me Baby by Rick James
    Gigolette by Ozone
    Somebody Watching Me by Rockwell
    My Eyes Don't Cry by Stevie Wonder
    Lady Soul by the Temptations

To name a few........
    Another great list Marv. I love/like most of the stuff on your list.

Another great list Marv. I love/like most of the stuff on your list.
    Hey thanks! People sometimes don't remember how much great music Motown was releasing in the 80s. If we took our time we could perhaps double the number of selections here already. This is one reason why I did not want Berry Gordy to sell Motown in the late 80s.

This is due entirely to my age and what I grew up listening to, but I am not a fan of 80s Motown or much else from the 80s. Not only do I think Motown peaked in the 60s, I would even narrow it down to a certain year....1966. Now THAT was a great year for music! I don't know how they found TIME to produce that much great stuff in just one year!

Surprised not much mention of Lionel Richie here, he flew the flag for Motown big style during the 80's, massive single and album sales that kept the magic alive. Also raised massive amounts for cancer research during his lifetime, great humanity and a great star.

Great thread RanRan
    The 80s is when I really started listening to music more than following/watching football/soccer.

All the above plus
    The Temptations
    Truly for you
    I wonder who she’s seeing now
    Together again
    Stevie Wonder
    Do I Do
    Skeletons
    For You Love
    Cold Chill
    Let’s get serious
    Rick James
    Glow
    Smokey Robinson
    You made me feel love
    I could go on and on

Truly for you album has to be my favourite and maybe I’m the odd one out but I love all of Stevie’s 80s album

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    This is due entirely to my age and what I grew up listening to, but I am not a fan of 80s Motown or much else from the 80s. Not only do I think Motown peaked in the 60s, I would even narrow it down to a certain year....1966. Now THAT was a great year for music! I don't know how they found TIME to produce that much great stuff in just one year!
    I'm a child of the 80s so of course I love the music. But in regards to 1966 Motown, I know what you mean. I've always thought that song for song 1966 may have been the best year for the company. Imagine my disappointment when the unreleased 1966 set dropped. I was terribly disappointed in most of those tracks. [[Still a little pissed at myself for buying the damn thing without previewing it first...buying solely on my love for Motown 66. Will NOT make that mistake again.) I'm so used to listening to unreleased Motown and thinking "why the hell didn't they release that?!". This time around I rarely asked myself that.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Surprised not much mention of Lionel Richie here, he flew the flag for Motown big style during the 80's, massive single and album sales that kept the magic alive. Also raised massive amounts for cancer research during his lifetime, great humanity and a great star.
    Lionel Richie is heavy on the soundtrack of my childhood. I think Can't Slow Down is in a league of it's own, but his debut solo album and Dancing On the Ceiling are both great albums too.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Great thread RanRan
    The 80s is when I really started listening to music more than following/watching football/soccer.

All the above plus
    The Temptations
    Truly for you
    I wonder who she’s seeing now
    Together again
    Stevie Wonder
    Do I Do
    Skeletons
    For You Love
    Cold Chill
    Let’s get serious
    Rick James
    Glow
    Smokey Robinson
    You made me feel love
    I could go on and on

Truly for you album has to be my favourite and maybe I’m the odd one out but I love all of Stevie’s 80s album
    Good list McMotown. "I Wonder Who She's Seeing Now" is one of those cuts that I never hear on the radio over the years but I remember it getting some good airplay back in the day during it's release. It's a fantastic cut.

My guilty pleasure of the 1980s: "He's a Pretender" and "Groove Patrol" by High Inergy.

There are some songs [[and this applies for both '60s and '80s stuff) that I absolutely adore but that I can't consider classics because, well, no one else knows them, lol

I mean, I completely and utterly adore The Monitors' "Serve Yourself A Cup Of Happiness" [[as much as your average Motown classic like "Dancing In The Street") but I couldn't possibly consider the song a classic because it's only ever been listened to by about thirteen people around the world

There are songs that I love from Motown in the '80s but I can't call them classics [[or compare them to the '60s classics for that matter)... like The Four Tops' "Body And Soul", "Don't Turn Away", "Hang"... The Tempts' "You Better Beware", "Memories"... Junior Walker's "T Double O"... Willie Hutch's "Sexy Feelin'"... Teena Marie's "Aladdin's Lamp"... unknown, unheard album tracks or B-Sides, not hits, and not classics, but songs that I still love

I'm not quite sure what I'm trying to say here... lol... maybe it's that I can't answer your question, RanRan, LOL
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 07-19-2017 at 02:03 PM.

It was the 80's where Motown Falters but you did have the odd hits in the UK
    Charlene I've never been to me
    Michael Jackson One day in your life [[ I know it's a 70s recording)
    Diana Ross it's my turn
    Rockwell somebody s watching me
    I think that there were some flashes of greatness but nothing compared to the 60's to early 70s

I agree with many of the titles listed. I would definitely add Diana Ross It's My Turn; Steve Wonder Part-time Lover; Mary Jane Girls In My House; High Inergy He's A Pretender; Four Tops I Just Can't Walk Away and Don't Tell Me That It's Over; Temptations Power, Special and Aiming At Your Heart; El Debarge Love Always; Teena Marie Square Biz; Dazz Band Let It Whip; Stacy Lattisaw Jump Into My Life, Nail It to The Wall and Let Me Take You Down. There are others I could add.

My Motown guilty pleasure from 1986 is Nick Jameson's "Weatherman".

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    My guilty pleasure of the 1980s: "He's a Pretender" and "Groove Patrol" by High Inergy.
    I like the stuff High Inergy was doing in the 70s a lot. Not so much their 80s stuff.

There are some songs [[and this applies for both '60s and '80s stuff) that I absolutely adore but that I can't consider classics because, well, no one else knows them, lol

I mean, I completely and utterly adore The Monitors' "Serve Yourself A Cup Of Happiness" [[as much as your average Motown classic like "Dancing In The Street") but I couldn't possibly consider the song a classic because it's only ever been listened to by about thirteen people around the world

There are songs that I love from Motown in the '80s but I can't call them classics [[or compare them to the '60s classics for that matter)... like The Four Tops' "Body And Soul", "Don't Turn Away", "Hang"... The Tempts' "You Better Beware", "Memories"... Junior Walker's "T Double O"... Willie Hutch's "Sexy Feelin'"... Teena Marie's "Aladdin's Lamp"... unknown, unheard album tracks or B-Sides, not hits, and not classics, but songs that I still love

I'm not quite sure what I'm trying to say here... lol... maybe it's that I can't answer your question, RanRan, LOL
    Tom I wouldn't say the lesser known stuff can't be classic. The definition of classic reads as "judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind". Wouldn't that apply to little known gems? For instance, there was a singer by the name of Sandra Wright who recorded an album A Wounded Woman around 1974, which wouldn't see the light of day until 1989. Most people have no idea about the album or the singer, but I'd stamp her album with "classic" without missing a beat. It's an excellent recording "of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind", like some of the stuff you mention in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    It was the 80's where Motown Falters but you did have the odd hits in the UK
    Charlene I've never been to me
    Michael Jackson One day in your life [[ I know it's a 70s recording)
    Diana Ross it's my turn
    Rockwell somebody s watching me
    I think that there were some flashes of greatness but nothing compared to the 60's to early 70s
    Oh yes, "It's My Turn", definitely an excellent piece of Motown. Hate it or love it, "Somebody's Watching Me" has to be classic.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    I agree with many of the titles listed. I would definitely add Diana Ross It's My Turn; Steve Wonder Part-time Lover; Mary Jane Girls In My House; High Inergy He's A Pretender; Four Tops I Just Can't Walk Away and Don't Tell Me That It's Over; Temptations Power, Special and Aiming At Your Heart; El Debarge Love Always; Teena Marie Square Biz; Dazz Band Let It Whip; Stacy Lattisaw Jump Into My Life, Nail It to The Wall and Let Me Take You Down. There are others I could add.
    Thanks for mentioning Stacy Lattisaw! Absolutely would put "Let Me Take You Down", "Every Drop of Your Love" and "Where Do We Go From Here" [[w/Johnny) on the classic 80s list. I concur on El Debarge's "Love Always" also.

I should say Motown should have given for one, Bunny DeBarge, at least a little more promotional nudge, for her "In Love" album, and "Save The Best For Me [[Best of Your Lovin')", + should have released / pushed at least two more singles from album, than little to zero, in favor for Eldra. Otherwise, what was the point of bothering to record / print album / releasing it to stores in the first place, if not trying to wave enough sound out there to make a profit?

Tom I wouldn't say the lesser known stuff can't be classic. The definition of classic reads as "judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind". Wouldn't that apply to little known gems? For instance, there was a singer by the name of Sandra Wright who recorded an album A Wounded Woman around 1974, which wouldn't see the light of day until 1989. Most people have no idea about the album or the singer, but I'd stamp her album with "classic" without missing a beat. It's an excellent recording "of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind", like some of the stuff you mention in your post.
    Mmmm, good points RanRan. I think I just can't see something as classic if it wasnt a hit or isn't widely regarded as a musical masterpiece! I think I'm trying to differ between 'personal favourite' and 'classic' [[both are equal in quality) but maybe I shouldn't need to!

Very interesting about the singer you mention though, RanRan, I have never heard of her and will have to check that album out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    I should say Motown should have given for one, Bunny DeBarge, at least a little more promotional nudge, for her "In Love" album, and "Save The Best For Me [[Best of Your Lovin')", + should have released / pushed at least two more singles from album, than little to zero, in favor for Eldra. Otherwise, what was the point of bothering to record / print album / releasing it to stores in the first place, if not trying to wave enough sound out there to make a profit?

But that was the Motown way. The question is always asked by fans, why would Motown go through the trouble of recording and releasing music on certain artists but not give the music the push in promotion that is needed to garner airplay? It's the million dollar question.

Interestingly, I have vivid memories of the cover of Bunny's album as a promotional poster hanging from the ceiling of a record store when I was a kid. It's how I found out that her name was Bunny. The only names I knew were El [[for obvious reasons), James because it was big news that he married Janet Jackson, and Chico, because my mother had his Rainy Night record.

Very interesting about the singer you mention though, RanRan, I have never heard of her and will have to check that album out.
    Please do Tom. It's...classic.

But that was the Motown way. The question is always asked by fans, why would Motown go through the trouble of recording and releasing music on certain artists but not give the music the push in promotion that is needed to garner airplay? It's the million dollar question.

Interestingly, I have vivid memories of the cover of Bunny's album as a promotional poster hanging from the ceiling of a record store when I was a kid. It's how I found out that her name was Bunny. The only names I knew were El [[for obvious reasons), James because it was big news that he married Janet Jackson, and Chico, because my mother had his Rainy Night record.
    My brother and sister are going to see El tomorrow night.

There, unfortunately I hear you say, is a story attached to this one.
    My Son and Daughter clubbed together to get me a faux ipod, and the Motown thro the years collection, 23 CDs ? after my wife had banished my record collection to the attic!!!. when we absolutely had to go minimalist! with furnishings. My Grandson did some magic and converted them to play and also display title artist and cover on the little screen, if only I could see it. There was another problem, I just couldn't get on with those earplug things. Last year I got a new car with a ""Infotainment"" centre. A couple of months ago my Grandson said why don't you play your motown collection on that, pointing at the SatNav screen, I had to admit I didn't know I could.
    He has now fitted the whole collection on a Micro SD card, no bigger than the nail on my index finger!!!

This morning, I reached 1980 something and discovered this one I had never heard before, I like it! Al Green/ Tina Turner still have the edge tho'

Feel free to ignore me while I have a little rant.

Who in Gods name thought it was a good idea to do those PWL remixes, I'm guessing they went nowhere, and rightly so.
    Motowns imperfections are what makes it perfect, beats timed to the nanosecond should come with health warnings [[like those flash photography ones) as they are likely to cause seizures.

Sorry if I upset anyone

RichyP, rant on. That's all the rest of us do around here. You might as well have your rant fun too.

From my memories of spinnin' my "Emperors of Soul" set: While chances are, had it been given a chance as its own single, it probably would not have caught up with the contemporaries, maybe even lucky if it reached the top 100 R&B, but in my opinion, at least the Temptations tried a stab at the New Jack Swing sound, quite awesomely their way I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post

It's possible that Motown only released the Bunny DeBarge album for contractual reasons [[the same way that Mary Wilson's 1979 solo album was). From what I've seen on the DeBarge episode of Unsung, Motown had begun to focus on El DeBarge's solo career at this time because the other members of the group had become unreliable due to drug problems. I've never heard Bunny DeBarge's LP but I do like 'Save The Best For Me' and I agree that it should've been a big hit. And the only real hit that I remember after DeBarge broke up was Chico DeBarge's 'Talk To Me'.