[REMOVE ADS]

Raynoma Gordy Singleton

Been reading Raynoma Gordy Singleton Biography, could she have been utilised more writing and producing? Are there others who who could have been utilised more in this capacity for instance Edwin Starr who has been mentioned in the thread - Most Underrated?

Interesting question, Paul. I like it when Motown would give an artist freedom to write and produce for themselves. Just look at Marvin and Stevie.

Edwin did produce a couple of songs on himself at Motown [["Time", "Running Back And Forth", "There You Go") but he would go on to write and fully self-produce his own albums in and after the late 1970s. I would have loved to see him get this freedom at Motown. It's interesting that they allowed Marvin and Willie Hutch to do their own scores for blaxploitation films but had Freddie Perren and Fonze Mizell produce Edwin's.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-27-2017 at 07:34 PM.

If I remember rightly [[I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong), But Shorty Long was able to produce as well love Here Comes The Judge, great fun song.

When the temps went to berry about[producing]they almost got laughed out of the room,but berry let them do it.

I met Miss Ray. Cool lady. She could have been utilized more for songwriting and especially arranging, but politics and personal relationship issues got in the way of that.

Marv,you and stu meet all the cool people.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Marv,you and stu meet all the cool people.
    I have met my share. Luckily most if not all were pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I met Miss Ray. Cool lady. She could have been utilized more for songwriting and especially arranging, but politics and personal relationship issues got in the way of that.
    Marv, You met Miss Ray!
    Yes it seems if personal realtionship issues and other stuff had not got in the way, I think she would have gone on to being a great asset.
    I remember you saying you met Eddie Kendricks too who else have you met over the year?
    My only moment was talking to Bobby Moore England captain of the 1966 World Cup winning team[[soccer).

I have read somewhere about a Don Davis who was at Motown in the early years and who wrote and played on a few tracks and presume he left and ended up at RicTic where he a wrote and produced a few tracks for Edwin Starr. Seems quite a few never got the chance to write/produce more in the 60's /early 70's

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    If I remember rightly [[I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong), But Shorty Long was able to produce as well love Here Comes The Judge, great fun song.
    Hey Paul, I believe you are right! Shorty was one of the first artists Motown allowed to write and produce for themselves. It's interesting that they allowed him to do so, though. Does anyone know specifically why they did?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    When the temps went to berry about[producing]they almost got laughed out of the room,but berry let them do it.
    Yea, they even wrote and produced a whole album by themselves! The Temptations Do The Temptations I believe. It wasn't a great success I don't think and they left Motown shortly after. Oh well... lol

Marv, You met Miss Ray!
    Yes it seems if personal realtionship issues and other stuff had not got in the way, I think she would have gone on to being a great asset.
    I remember you saying you met Eddie Kendricks too who else have you met over the year?
    My only moment was talking to Bobby Moore England captain of the 1966 World Cup winning team[[soccer).
    Yes I have. She always smell and look great. Pics never did her justice! Yes I have met Eddie a couple times. His youngest son also grew up with my nephew and they are friends. I've met a lot of people formally and informally. The most memorable was being able to spend an entire afternoon with my hero Muhammad Ali.

Yes I have. She always smell and look great. Pics never did her justice! Yes I have met Eddie a couple times. His youngest son also grew up with my nephew and they are friends. I've met a lot of people formally and informally. The most memorable was being able to spend an entire afternoon with my hero Muhammad Ali.
    Wow he was a legend.
    Did you ever get a chance to meet Tammi Terrell?

Wow he was a legend.
    Did you ever get a chance to meet Tammi Terrell?
    No never met Tammi Terrell. She died when I was just a little kid.

[QUOTE=marv2;388941]I met Miss Ray. Cool lady.

Marv, how did you get to meet Miss Ray?

[QUOTE=McMotown;389132]
    I met Miss Ray. Cool lady.

Marv, how did you get to meet Miss Ray?
    I met her when everyone came to the ceremony for designation of Motown/Hitsville as a National Historical site.

I have read somewhere about a Don Davis who was at Motown in the early years and who wrote and played on a few tracks and presume he left and ended up at RicTic where he a wrote and produced a few tracks for Edwin Starr. Seems quite a few never got the chance to write/produce more in the 60's /early 70's
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes, Don Davis was at Motown during its early years, just as so many others who went on to become famous as Detroit Soul producers, arrangers, songwriters, and singers, including Don Juan Mancha, Steve Mancha [[AKA Clyde Wilson), Mike Terry, Dave Hamilton, Bob Hamilton [[AKA Rob Reeco), Tony Hester, William Garrett, Melvin Davis, George McGregor and just about every other session musician who played in Detroit during the 1960s.

Thanks robb_k, I'll have to check some of these out.

I checked out Raynoma's autobiography after reading Gerald Posner's book on Motown where he basically quoted or cited her book on every other page. Excellent book, I imagine that it's not underrated among the members of SD but if you haven't checked it out please do, it's excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by marymary View Post
    I checked out Raynoma's autobiography after reading Gerald Posner's book on Motown where he basically quoted or cited her book on every other page. Excellent book, I imagine that it's not underrated among the members of SD but if you haven't checked it out please do, it's excellent.
    Thanks marymary I have been reading her book and finding really interesting. I think if only if she had been given a bigger role what might have Motown turned out like.