[REMOVE ADS]

Ace/Kent and Motown

Might there be any Motown-related releases coming out on Ace/Kent in the near future? It seems to have been a while...

[QUOTE=mike_sku;387533]Might there be any Motown-related releases coming out on Ace/Kent in the near future? It seems to have been a while...[/QUOTE
    These releases take a long time to come to fruition but yes there are other items in various stages of the pipeline.

Yes! I believe there is! And I can't wait!!!

There was thread about it recently... https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...t=Keith+Hughes

we're just two sandwiches short of a picnic, TT ...

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    we're just two sandwiches short of a picnic, TT ...
    Oh, YES, great news, Keith!!! Happy sandwich making!

By the way, I will definitely be AT THAT PICNIC!! Hell, I am HUNGGRRYY!

In case you can't tell, I really want this release... lol... I just got The Monitors' ACE CD and may I say it is absolutely fantastic. Combine that excellence with one of my favourite groups and OH MY I can't wait!!!

The 2 Contours' CDs, especially the second one with Dennis Edwards, are amongst my favorites of the Ace/Kent series. Their stuff is always great, regardless.

all Ace/Kent Series are great my favourites have been Shorty Long and The Monitors. Many Thanks Keith brilliant work, is there any more Spinners and Bobby Taylor in the vaults?

There's more early Contours, kenneth, though I think we're out of stock on the post-Billy Gordon era. As this is a general Ace/Motown thread, I'll pose the question: would people prefer us to do Contours 3 before Spinners 2? Just curious. Not saying we couldn't do both, but you can see how long it takes to get stuff cleared nowadays, so we would welcome hints on how we should prioritise our licensing requests. [[You can take it for granted we'll be pushing ahead with Motown Girls and Motown Guys - I think it's the Girls' turn next, but we have HOT track lists on both series! All unreleased, of course.)

Spinners 2
    Billy Gordon ...bit dated?
    Ivy Hunter
    Originals...

Keith, can I ask a few questions about the upcoming Undisputed Truth release...? If not just say no... lol

Is it too early to give some rough / estimated dates? I can't wait!

Have you interviewed the remaining members of the group for the release?

Also, can I ask why ACE have decided to go with the group? [[It's really great that you guys have by the way!) I would say they are quite different from other Motown acts ACE has don't [[genre and date-wise) and I kinda wonder why they have been chosen!

Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-24-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  21.1 KB
    I hate Billy Gordon's singing, and we've already heard the only good songs they gave him. I'd MUCH, MUCH, MUCH rather have a 2nd Spinners' released, after The Monitors, they are my 2nd favourite Male Motown group.

Thanks for asking, Keith! I love the Contours as I mentioned, but I'd much rather see the 2nd Spinners come out if that's the choice. The Spinners didn't get many breaks at Motown! You guys could help rectify that situation!

I hadn't heard there might be an Undisputed Truth set. That is fabulous news. Their "Face to Face With the Truth" is still one of my favorite albums. Brilliant musicianship on that one. Dennis Coffey's guitar is just wonderful.

And maybe eventually we'd get to some of the Originals early work...

You know us collectors always want more!

Probably a second Spinners set.Hopefully the next Motown guys has some four tops like the recent digital release JUST YOUR LOVE. Keep crossing my fingers for IVY JO HUNTER and BLINKY.

I, too, would vote for Spinners 2.
    Within the yearly unreleased download series, we've only been treated to 5 Spinners selections [[not counting the Gladys Knight & Spinners effort). What I've heard is quite good and would welcome more.
    But I'd still like to see the remaining Contours track [[the 13 download series ones +) on cd at a later time.

And when putting together the next Motown Girls set, please, please, please include Little Lisa 'My Daddy Knows Best", Brenda Holloway "Spellbound", Gladys Knight /The Spinners "All These Things".

would people prefer us to do Contours 3 before Spinners 2?
    Spinners first for me!
    I would buy the Contours CD as a completist, but Billy's voice really grates on me.

I do hope you can get that great song posted in another thread on the Tops and Ivy Hunter out officially.

Deffinately The Spinners...but whatever you decide Keith i will willingly support...i have everyone of ACE/KENT Motown releases so far and will continue with every new release...i love looking forward to whats coming next.

More Contours for me - I love their energy and rough edges of the early recordings.

Spinners 2, Originals, but so want Junior Walker material from his relaxed era.

honest man Guest
    Spinners 2 for me.early Contours really not fussed but i would buy eventually[no rush] Contours 65-67 - Spinners in an instant,could you include Brenda You're gonna love my baby on unreleased girls yes it does exist i have heard it and i want it ha,cheers.

I'd like both, but if I had to choose then my preference would be the early Contours from '61 to '65. I'm sure there must be loads of tracks on them still tucked away waiting to escape, though I do appreciate that a lot of them may be incomplete.

I'd also like what remains of Choker Campbell's tracks to be issued - maybe expanded to include other as yet unissued instrumental tracks from Earl Van Dyke, Twistin' Kings etc., the scheduled, but still unissued Workshop Jazz albums from Herbie Williams, George Bohannon and Beans Bowles and if it was actually recorded the later unissued Jonah Jones album scheduled for Motown MS-714!

I could go on, but with the earlier suggestions from others as well as what I've added, there's enough here to keep Keith & Co at ACE / KENT busy for years to come!

Spinner 2 for me please then if possible The Originals, Jr Walker and if there is any Bobby Taylor left. However I look forward to anything you release.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Spinners 2 for me.early Contours really not fussed but i would buy eventually[no rush] Contours 65-67 - Spinners in an instant,could you include Brenda You're gonna love my baby on unreleased girls yes it does exist i have heard it and i want it ha,cheers.
    Honest Man I would love to hear the Brenda version. I cannot see any reference to a version by her in the paperwork perhaps she did after she left for HDH?

Spinners for me too. Bobby Smith's voice rarely fails me

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Honest Man I would love to hear the Brenda version. I cannot see any reference to a version by her in the paperwork perhaps she did after she left for HDH?
    Paul,

I've heard it on an old bootleg cassette with other Motown tracks which made me to assume it was a Motown recording. Certainly, it sounded earlier than her Music Merchant era.

As for the next Ace/Kent release, anything will do but to address Keith's specific choices I'd plump for a second Spinners collection [[an expanded "2nd Time Around" would be real nice).

Ivor

I would love to have Spinners 2 before early Contours, but...I'd buy early Contours, too. To echo others, I'd also welcome early Originals [[and/or a start at expanding their albums), plus I wait hopeful for Ivy Jo and Blinky to finally get official releases. Lastly, Brenda Holloway could sing about having bunions on her feet to a Motown beat and I'd buy it! I'll buy anything by her because of that beautiful voice. She can do no wrong as a singer to my ears! That said, I'm also looking forward to more Motown Girls [[and Guys) releases. Plus, an 'Undisputed' hole is going to be filled in my collection soon.

So much to be excited about coming from Ace/Kent!

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Hello Paul it really is a Motown Unreleased if i remember it has same back track as
    Barbara mc nair, cause i was expectinh her to chirp in but class SIXTIES BH,Chris King played don't know whether that was good -bad thing if you know hwat i mean but it really does exist,see what you can do if anybody can it's you and the other ace project coordinators.cheers

My research gives the same result as Paul's, honest man: I can't find a recording of YGLMB by Brenda in the Motown tape paperwork either. That doesn't mean it's not on a tape somewhere, it just means we don't know where to look for it.

I think it is the case that BH recorded a vocal track on top of the original backing to YGLMB....done, at the time of her visit with Kim Weston.
    At least that was my impression on hearing it...and a DJ very close to the people involved agreed with me.

To clarify...NOT a Motown official track....a vocal from the 80s on top of the Motown backing track.

Motown Girls for me. I don't collect the male vocalists. Thanks!

Ex: Two Syreeta albums never on CD; Blinky; 70's Supremes Lost and Found; Martha and The Vandellas at the Copa; Mary Wilson; etc.

Although it's not what honest man is looking for, there is a version of YGLMB here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Youre-Gonna.../dp/B00805U0K2

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Motown Girls for me. I don't collect the male vocalists. Thanks!
    Sorry, longtimefan, can I ask... does that mean you don't collect music [[or much music) by male singers? Can I ask why?

Spinners 2 please.

I would greatly appreciate a second volume on The Spinners. My preferred Contours' recordings are from the Joe Stubbs and Dennis Edwards period and you already did a great job compiling those.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Sorry, longtimefan, can I ask... does that mean you don't collect music [[or much music) by male singers? Can I ask why?
    Just a personal preference. I prefer female vocalists. That does not mean that I do not recognize the talents of male vocalists. It's simply that we all have preferences in many different areas of life. No big deal.

Just a personal preference. I prefer female vocalists. That does not mean that I do not recognize the talents of male vocalists. It's simply that we all have preferences in many different areas of life. No big deal.
    Oh, ok, I get it! I think you just shocked me as I personally prefer male singers. But, longtime, you're right, it is no big deal!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Oh, ok, I get it! I think you just shocked me as I personally prefer male singers. But, longtime, you're right, it is no big deal!
    Backatcha: Why do YOU prefer male singers???? LOL LOL

Backatcha: Why do YOU prefer male singers???? LOL LOL
    Haaaa... well, really, it's just personal preference. Lol...

But I still buy stuff from female singers and groups. Do you when it comes to men?

I'll buy anything containing unreleased tracks, but if the choice is between the Contours and the Spinners, I'd prioritise the Spinners.

I`d like both thank you Keith and also the Lewis Sisters and the Lollipops which I much prefer than the JMC. Supremes.

I'd go for the Spinners vol. 2 myself.

Well, I think I have a fairly clear answer to my question: thanks very much. I have informed The Authorities that More Spinners are required!

Blinky, Ivy Jo, Blackberries, Jean's Supremes. Please.

honest man Guest
    Well, I think I have a fairly clear answer to my question: thanks very much. I have informed The Authorities that More Spinners are required!
    Thank You very much Keith,much appreciated.

Keith, out of curiosity, would there be enough Originals unreleased from the 60s to put a CD out?
    Or early 70s for that matter?
    Thanks

Keith, can I ask, would a Spinners 2 be from the G.C. Cameron era?

Motown / Ace / Kent Records-wise, I've got the Contours' "Dance With The Contours" coulda-woulda been album collection, as well as the Fantastic Four's unreleased album collection and the Rita Wright mostly previously unreleased vaulted collection, and all are great with the highest care.

Somewhere down, perhaps there is still the Marv Johnson, Shorty Long, Monitors, and Eddie Holland collections to still gain for myself, but, let's see....what should Ace / Kent reissue up next...

I say, for one, Chris Clark. Yes, her works has been reissued a couple of times before, but they are all now out-of-print ludicrously priced unattainable by reasonable standards. Reissue her up again, to make the awesome Motown's platinum blonde American answer to Dusty Springfield reachable again.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 05-31-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Blinky!!!!!!!!