[REMOVE ADS]

Globe Poster and the Motortown Revue

Hi There - I'm a reporter working on a radio story about a Baltimore company called "Globe Poster." They made a lot of the concert posters for Soul and R&B acts in the 50s and 60s, including some for the Motortown Revue. Does anyone know anything about Globe Poster, or know anyone who worked on the Motortown Revue?

Thanks!
    Bruce

Welcome to the forum, Bruce. It won't surprise me if someone here can be of assistance. Best of luck.

Thanks Ralph!

I do know people who performed on the Motortown Revue, however, as best as I remember, Globe Poster of Baltimore has
    a website and offers some of their classic posters for sale. I don't recall the web address so perhaps you can google it.
    Their posters were the best too.

Hey Randy - Thanks for the note. I have been to the company's website [[http://www.globeposter.com/showposters.html has images of some beautiful old posters). I would love to get in touch with the people you know who performed on the Motortown Revue. Maybe you could give them my e-mail address [[bruce_wallace [[at) hotmail [[dot) com)?

I'm hoping to talk to a promoter or someone who would have worked with Globe Posters on getting posters for the Revue.

Randy

I noticed that the Marvelettes are on their posters.

If the Velvelettes had been included I could have put Wallace in touch with the ladies...but they are not.

Thak you for the link.

Wallace....have you thought of contacting Motown themselves?

I don't know that the performers would no too much about the posters other than having seen them, of course.

Randy

My thoughts too, but maybe Wallace might still want to talk to them. I am sure it could provide a nice touch to the radio story.

Wallace

You can email this public email address.

classic.motown@umusic.com

Oh right, of course. I hadn't thought about contacting Motown, but of course I should. Thanks for the suggestion.

boyfromxtown: Velvelettes have definitely been on posters created by Globe back in the '60s, just not on any shown on
    their website. I would say 99% of every R&B act in the business in the '60s ended up on Globe posters.

Anyone know a good way to get in touch with the Velvelettes?

pshark Guest
    Wow these are some great looking posters. And the history of the company is interesting.
    History Of Globe Poster

In 1929, Globe Poster was founded during a card game in Philadelphia. At the table, Norman Goldstein, a wealthy New Yorker and Harry Shapiro, a Philadelphia printer, decided to go into business together. To settle on a location for their company, they took a map of the East Coast, folded it and opened it up. The crease was on Baltimore, so that's where they started. At that time, Globe printed posters for vaudeville acts, movie theatres, burlesque houses, and carnivals.

When Norman Shapiro took over the firm in 1954, Joseph Cicero, Sr. was the shop forman. A Globe employee since 1935, Cicero says he soon became "Mr. Shapiro's right hand-man". Twenty years later, Shapiro retired and sold the business to Cicero, who brought in his three sons [[Joseph, Jr., Frank and Bob) as partners.

Today, the Ciceros continue to run Globe as a tight-knit family business. In fact, each of them has hands-on experience in nearly every aspect of the business, from shipping and receiving to screen printing, typesetting and running the letterpresses. Although officially retired, Joseph, Sr.keeps his hands on the pulse of the business, just as he's done for the last sixty years. Globe currently sells and designs the "old style boxing" or concert posters.

Today our company is a full service print shop with screen printing and offset capabilites for inside and outside displays.

Globe designs and prints
    DECALS, POLITICAL, DIRECTIONAL, SHOW
    EVENT, SPECIALITY POSTERS AND COROPLAST SIGNS

LET US MAKE YOUR EVENT A SUCCESS

410-563-3800

To Order Order Classic Posters

www.globeposter.com or call 410-563-3800

What a Co Winky Dink. This is the Featured Story in this week's edition of the Baltimore City Paper:

http://citypaper.com/news/pressed-for-time-1.1095263

Last edited by loveblind; 01-28-2011 at 05:42 PM.

The above poster, however, was from the early 80s, I believe. Great line-up, however!