[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    It was Mtume and it was a JAM! Hurry up and bring back vinyl!!!!

It is indeed Mtume.

One more delicious piece of vinyl: Bootsy Collins-Tha Funk Capital Of The World.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    One more delicious piece of vinyl: Bootsy Collins-Tha Funk Capital Of The World.

I know that's right. Good one Timmy!

My brother who plays in a band gave me about 100 albums that he had in his garage for over a year, the records were all mint and with few exceptions original pressings. Miles, Nancy Wilson, War, G. Benson, Aretha [[gospel album with Amazing grace & Mary Don't You Weep) Cherelle, Ramsey, Herbie, AWB, Songs Key of Life, Joe Sample, Crusaders, Jeff Lorber, Levert, Teena Marie, Smokey, Roberta & Donny, Luther, Sly,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the list goes on.....man I felt like my good friend and fellow leprechaun GT, magically delicious!!! I have been playing vinyl non stop for three days.......even though I had some of these albums, these were in such great shape that I couldn't believe it. Guess it helps to teach a little brother how to wax and detail his car.......of course his story was ....." Man I've been trying to give you these records for six months, because you're one of the few people I know who not only plays vinyl but loves it....." fellas the only thing I can say is that "somebody up there likes me"....lol.....

I got my order in on Weds ,but didn't open it until Friday.
    There is a version of "AT LAST" , that Walter Jackson dd in 1981 ,on Columbia ,produced by Carl Davis.
    It's the first totally restatement of the song in arrangement and vocal delivery that I have ever heard.

Birthday vinyl re-up now in effect: Miles Davis-Live at Carnegie Hall. Original copy.

Happy Birthday timmyfunk!!!

Thank you much DA!

Happy Birthday Timmy!

Marv

I'm on a internet roll........ just ordered the DEBARGEs first LP for $6 from...........VinylVestige.Com

Uh DA, you mean these guys .........http://www.lastvestige.com/vinyl/soul.htm ??? LOL........

Yep!!! That's them. I made my order at 2:00 in the am by e-mail and got a confirmation at 11:00. Called them with my payment info and my goodies are on the way. I'm checking out Earthwave Records now. They are a little higher priced but they are having a 40% off sale until the end of the week.

Vinyl re-up at the start of Black Music Month: AWB debut album, Sade-Promise, Elton John-Rock Of The Westies, Ralph McDonald-Sound Of A Drum, Weather Report-8:30 [[Brazilian pressing), Godmoma-Taste Of Magic [[12"), Louis Jordan-Somebody Up There Digs Me, and of course, Bootsy Collins-Tha Funk Capital Of The World.

Side note: after the vinyl front, I attended the annual celebration in Red Bank, NJ known as Riverfest. Got a taste of the band Motor City Revue. Absolutely excellent. And there not even from Detroit. They're from NJ. A perfect ending to a pretty decent work week.

DeBARGES, THE/ Same/ Gordy '81/ lt jktwear, VG++/VG++ $6.00
    GAYE, MARVIN/ My Last Chance-3 Versions/ Motown '90/ 12" Single, No Cover Art, Vinyl is VG+ $2.00
    HAYES, ISAAC & MILLIE JACKSON/ Royal Rappin'/ Polydor-Spring '79/ NM/VG+ $7.00
    ZULEMA/ Suddenly There Was You/ RCA '76/ NM/VG++ $7.00

$22.00 + Shipping [[Please Choose One):
    Add $7.65 for Priority With Delivery Confirmation[[takes 2-3 days via air) + $2.37 NYS
    Tax = $32.02

This came today but I was at work. Off to the P.O. before work!!!!!

I don't think I've ever loved vinyl more than I do right now.

I feel you timmyfunk on that point. I just got back some 12's I had of D Train that I lent to a friend of mine ,almost a year and a half ago that I forgot I had. He finally had the time to do needle drops on them. They were important to me because I collect remixes and also my uncle did arrangements on the original tracks ,which I was in the studio when they were recorded. I have now adopted the rule and standard ,[[since I can now do needle drops myself) ,that I don't lend nothin to NOBODY, nothin personal , but I realize how much money I have invested in my vinyl over the last 50 years and at this point you would have to pry any of it from my cold dead hands. If you did get it ,I would still haunt whomever for the rest of thier natural life and then I'd be waiting to give a good ass whoopin!!!!
    I also have some CD's that I feel the same way about ,but I do feel that CDs have thier place in the scope of things. For example,

THE PRESIDENTS: 5-10-15-20-25-30 YEARS OF LOVE: THE GREATEST HITS

2011 collection from the Soul outfit. Van McCoy had a thing about nurturing young Soul groups named after U.S. branches of government and its high-level departments. Even his production company was named White House Productions.

The veteran R&B songwriter/arranger/producer helmed singles by the 95th Congress and the State Dept., but McCoy's most successful group in that politically monikered posse was The Presidents. Consisting of Archie Powell, Tony Boyd, and Billy Shorter, the polished vocal trio was a great deal more than another artistic outlet for the prolific McCoy. Powell and Boyd wrote a good portion of the material the Presidents did for Sussex, and their agile vocal interplay set them apart as well.

This is the first time this Northern Soul classics has ever been released on CD including previously unavailable bonus tracks.

An lp I aquired some 4 years ago for $15 BUT WORTH IT ,and this CD release is an welcome compliment to that rare classic album. Its CD release just makes the original LP more valuable IMO.

I'll never forget the day my daughter ,born in 87 , one day at the age of about 10 ,a child of the digital age in 97 surrounded by not only CD's , but vinyl also ,asked me ,"Daddy ,what's with all of these records you have? They are out of style. Then I pulled out the vintage Jackson 5 albums with Michael and his brothers and explained what the deal was. Showed her what sampling was all about . She's 23 now and knows a lot about what she and her generation are into and where it came from. Thats a touching thing for me ,to pass that down to her along with her love of music ,and that she truly knows why ,you DO NOT FUXK WITH DADDYS RECORDS!!!
    Last edited by daddyacey; 06-10-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Great post DA....I agree.

I guess it can go both ways. Some CD reissues take the luster of original pressing, while some are not affected. Even when the CD features extra tracks. Gil Scott-Heron's Free Will album still commands heavy prices, even though the Japanese CD has like 7 alternate takes as a bonus.

Maybe my current success has something to do with location. Red Bank, New Jersey ain't exactly known for being a hot spot for collecting vinyl like say, Greenwich Village. But some of the stuff I've found and the prices I've paid have been real surprising.

Here's the latest score:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
    Last edited by timmyfunk; 06-10-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Vinyl re-update: Teena Marie-Irons In The Fire
    Original Japanese pressing.

Today's picks: Black Moses-Issac Hayes and Funk Beyond the Call of Duty-Johnny Guitar Watson

"Teena Marie-Irons In The Fire
    Original Japanese pressing."
    You won't find sh-- like that here in the city ,[[Greenwich Village and...Brooklyn have the most vinyl shops of merit) ,and IF you did find it there it would be an arm and a leg. Where you are a find like that would not be as high in price as here.

Fathers Day I picked up............
    Ray,Goodman & Brown--All About Love--1984--Panoramic
    Starpoint--All Night Long--1982-- Chocolate City
    Slave--Make Believe--1987-- Ichiban-- [[Mark Adams,Keith Nash[[drums,keys,vocals),Daniel Webster[[guitars,b vocals),Floyd Miller[[trombone)
    I never knew of this album so it was quite a surprise. The shop had t/t to preview and that plus the $5.00 price sold me on it. When I really get to listen to it I'll give a review.

Marc Sadane--OneWay Love Affair--1981--Warner Bros --[[Mtume/Lucas production, a sleeper and one of the better and last 80's era pre-midi recordings that used REAL horns ,strings,drums etc....

Curtis Hairston--Curtis Hairston--1986--Atlantic-- [[Another sleeper ,I bent over for this LP @ $20 mint ,after previewing it in store. Well worth the money. C.H. had an amazing voice and talent ,on the same order as this next artist........................

Ronnie Dyson--The More You Do It--1976--Columbia-- [[A Jackson/Yancey production with nice versions of ,A Song For You and Love Won't Let Me Wait). I also saw a Dyson LP with some Bobby Eli penned tracks on it ,which I stupidly did not pick up but plan to go back for.
    Hairston ,Sadane and Dyson have excellent material and are excellent vocalists that are sadly underrated. These were some bad MF's ,and you can't find this stuff anywhere but on vinyl!!!!

Last but not least , Rotary Connection--Peace--1976??--Cadet Concept ,$3.00 , a Charles Stepney production, sort of a Christmas type album in "good cond" ,a little dirty, no inner sleeve. A little Dawn dish liquid and distilled water turned it into "pretty good" condition ,but to hear MINNIE sing "Silent Night" ,is priceless.

Keep spreading the word: vinyl is where it's at.

That's part of the reason why I doing a show tonight, dedicated to 45 RPM. I happened to pick up a few more 45s a few days ago, and I will play them tonight.

9pm-midnight [[cst) http://whpk.org and iTunes.

Make no mistake, GeeTee. I'm not sleeping on 45's. Loves me some 45's.

and I happened to locate one of my old Funkadelic 45s, that I will play tonight. [[and I might play the B-side too)

And which 45 would that be?

LOL , I knew that was coming

The B-side was "Jimmy's Got A little Bit Of [[well, you know the rest of the title of the song) Just listen to the podcast on the 45 thread.

The vinyl re-up was thrown a curve ball today. Picked up Wild and Peaceful-Kool and the Gang, Original Musicquarium-Stevie Wonder, and the America album featuring "A Horse With No Name". Went to Funk & Standard in Red Bank, NJ and the owner gave me a 180G copy of Eddie Hazel's "Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs for free. Wonderful people usually do wonderful thangs.

Timmyfunk-- There is a new record store in Union N.J. ,Big City Records , @ the corner of Springfield Ave & Vauxhall Road off of Route 78. [[908-668-1402) ,open Thurs thru Sat from 12pm to 6pm. I have not been there but they have a store here in the Village. I have bought some nice pieces from there and done some good trading and sales with them. Also check out the Princeton Record Exchange near Princeton College.

This weekend is one of those where the head is right [[working in Social Services can take it's toll ,as you know) ,and I'm chilled enough to go through the vinyl I've bought over the last 3 months and seriously review them. I'm also purging some of my doubles etc., cause space is getting tight and I'm doing some cataloging also.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Timmyfunk-- There is a new record store in Union N.J. ,Big City Records , @ the corner of Springfield Ave & Vauxhall Road off of Route 78. [[908-668-1402) ,open Thurs thru Sat from 12pm to 6pm. I have not been there but they have a store here in the Village. I have bought some nice pieces from there and done some good trading and sales with them. Also check out the Princeton Record Exchange near Princeton College.

This weekend is one of those where the head is right [[working in Social Services can take it's toll ,as you know) ,and I'm chilled enough to go through the vinyl I've bought over the last 3 months and seriously review them. I'm also purging some of my doubles etc., cause space is getting tight and I'm doing some cataloging also.
    Believe me DA, if I had a car, I'd be trekking down to PRE once a month out of principle. The stores I'm hitting are a 20 minute bus ride away, whereas the stores you speak of are a good journey from my place. If Big City Records is close to a NJ Transit train station, I'll take the plunge.

Adding two more classics to the mix: Pick Of The Litter by the Spinners and the self titled album by Blue Magic.

The vinyl re-up overload: Slave-Showtime, Teddy Pendergrass-Life Is A Song Worth Singing, Two Places At The Same Time, Let's Do It Again-Soundtrack, Brass Construction II, Stephanie Mills-Stephanie, The Chambers Brothers-New Generation, Brother, Brother, Brother-The Isley Brothers, Bohannon-Gittin' Off, The Three Degrees-Same, and the Bar-Kays-Flying High On Your Love. Average price:$3 at the NYC Record Convention. Were there any SDF members in the house?

You mean at the Holiday Inn in the 50's. If I had known you would be going there , I would have checked it out.
    They usually have it the 3rd Saturday of every month.

You mean at the Holiday Inn in the 50's. If I had known you would be going there , I would have checked it out.
    They usually have it the 3rd Saturday of every month.
    That's the one. I usually don't go to these shows since the selling space has shrunk dramatically [[a sign of the times?).

"I usually don't go to these shows since the selling space has shrunk dramatically [[a sign of the times?). "

Yes that's true. I have not been there in a while. They used to be set up in the big ballroom up until 4 years ago. Then they moved to the smaller room. I still get mail from them. I haven't gone in about 2 years. There is another show held only 2 times a year down on Canal Street. I'll dig up that info and ........well I'll get it to you .

"I usually don't go to these shows since the selling space has shrunk dramatically [[a sign of the times?). "

Yes that's true. I have not been there in a while. They used to be set up in the big ballroom up until 4 years ago. Then they moved to the smaller room. I still get mail from them. I haven't gone in about 2 years. There is another show held only 2 times a year down on Canal Street. I'll dig up that info and ........well I'll get it to you .
    I'm waiting for the WFMU record fair, but something tells me it's already come and gone.

I just looked it up after your last post. The problem though, is that it's the same weekend as the Chiller Theatre convention in Parsippany, NJ..

"The needs of the many ,outweight the needs of the one" , in this case

Ok went vinyl shopping today along with my partner in crime GT and this is what I came up with :

Isley Jasper Isley/ Broadway's Closer to Sunset Blvd
    Horace Brown/Things We Do For Love
    Love is Such a Funny Game/Michael Cooper
    The Message is Love/Barry White
    Bout Love/Bill Withers
    Lou Donaldson/Blue #3
    Herbie Hancock/Monster
    Herbie Hancock/Willie Bobo Succotash
    Burnin Love/Confunkshun
    Meeting of Mind/Four Tops
    Curtis Mayfield/ Doing it all Night
    Bundle of Joy/Freddie Hubbard
    Naked to The World/Teena Marie
    Miles Davis at Carnegie hall
    Intimate Connection/Kleer
    Gene Ammons Goodbye/[[his final recording session)

Going back tommorrow.......all mint some sealed........total Price 15.00
    Last edited by paladin; 07-24-2011 at 10:32 AM.

And all for [[get this) $1.00 a piece !!!!! "no brag,just facts !"

I'll chime in later,and share what I found ......

Vinyl rules ......

Ok........

Sonny Stitt/Night Letter
    Dexter Gordon/Manhattan Symphony
    Bill Withers/Watching You Watching Me
    Passion/Norman Connors
    Teo Macero/Acoustical Suspension
    Bobby Womack/Womagic

mo later........

The summer vinyl re-up continues to simmer: Too Hot To Stop-The Bar-Kays, Natural High-Bloodstone, Mandrill [[self titled), and two P-Funk discs that I just couldn't leave behind-Urban Dancefloor Guerillas and Some Of My Best Jokes Are Friends. Average price: $5.00. And this time the scene of the crime was Asbury Park, New Jersey.

Aww Right now my analog brothers in OLD FASHIONED VINYL Collecting............................The fat ladies mouth is full so she aint about to sing a note anytime soon ,to close this thread out!!! So as we was saying...............

I'm down here in Daytona Beach Fla , on a visit and like any looong player , I gots my haunts in any town I goes into. There's this record shop about two miles east of the Daytona airport ,I hit when ever I'm in town here. I picked up ........................

Shirley Jones --Always In The Mood lp
    Norman Harris--The Harris Machine lp
    Johnny Bristol--Bristol's Creme lp
    Keith Barrow--- Just As I Am lp
    Patti Austin-----In My Life lp
    Deniece Williams--My Melody [[THOM BELL) lp
    5th Dimension----Individually & Collectively lp [[original b&w cover) 1972
    Olatunji!!!--Drums Of Passion [[Original 1959 pressing with 3 eye CBS label ,in STEREO)
    Maxayn---Mindful---[[Maxayn & Andre Lewis 2nd lp 1973) Original press and cover#@#@#!!!

ALL IN VG++ , for grand total of ---------- $18 USD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Summers over and Fall is here yall. I got my eyes set on Oct 28 , the WFMU Record Fair. I've never been to it ,so I'm saving up my lunch money and [[maybe some beer money)..

You dirty dog, WFMU ? speak on it .......

Maxayn's Mindful lp?...Dang, now I'm jealous as a mollyfocker...Check Out Your
    Mind is on that wax, ain't it?...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Maxayn's Mindful lp?...Dang, now I'm jealous as a mollyfocker...Check Out Your
    Mind is on that wax, ain't it?...
    And if I'm not mistaken, they performed Check Out Your Mind on Soul Train.

my favorite site for vinyl shopping, old and new, is GEMM