Last week I drove up to Albany ,N.Y. I stopped by a store that I've bought stuff from on line. I took about 200 cleaned albums that I wanted to get rid of. The stores that buy used vinyl want to give you $1-$2 for what they will resell @ $8- and up. For about 50 albums I cleared ,gas and toll money. The albums really didn't cost me anything so it was worth the trip ,just to get out the city for a weekend. I would have done better taking it in trade but , there was so much stuff in this small store to go thru ,I just passed on shopping.
Now today I went to the BIG Record Show 11/21-23/ in NYC . The place was packed with 200 vendors and about 2000 patrons. A lot of vintage jazz ,rock ,but not as much R&B/Funk/Soul as I thought. You had to shop around for collectables ,a piece could be $7 at one table and $20 at another. As I said ,the place was packed on this which was the 2nd of 3 days ,and some of the vendors were saying they didn't make a lot of money. I have found that those vendors that sell at premium prices ,base them on GoldMine, Record Collector and Discogs price quotes. The records are in M- to VG++ condition but they price them at $25- and up. Crazy "and up". The vintage Jazz albums from the 50's and 60's are a big market. The people from overseas and professionals are a big part of that market ,and those prices reflect that. I usually look for vendors that have large inventory and a fair amount of Jazz/R&B/Funk ,which is a genre that they may not be as informed about as others and I've bought a lot of those $25 mint records for $1- $10 being in the right place at the right time. Today I bought;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Rochelle Fleming Suffer! Cutting Records 12" $1

Gladys and PIPs That Special Time Of Year CBS 1982 $1

"""""""""""""""""" Still Together Buddah 1977 $1

Nightflyte same Ariola 1979 Promo $5

The Soul Children Chronicle Stax 1979 Promo $6

Hubert Laws Family CBS 1980 $5

Mavis Staples Time Wait For No One Paisley Park $5

Faith Hope & Charity Life Goes On RCA 1976 $3

Sade Turn My Back On You Epic 1987 Remix 12' $2

Central Line Walkin Into Sunshine Mercury 1981 Larry Levan 8:10 Remix $5

Sybil Let Yourself Go Next Plateau 1987 $3

Lamont Dozier Black Bach ABC 1974 $5