[REMOVE ADS]

Eli "Paperboy" Reed

I have to say, I really like this guy. I've been listening to his album Come and Get It! and it is fantastic! I find it both fascinating and brilliant how a 27yr old white man in 2010 can make music that sounds like it could have come out of Stax in the mid-'60s. I really admire and appreciate how his music manages to evoke that classic soul sound. It's difficult to do and he does it well!

Thoughts?

I saw him many years ago opening for Bettye Lavette. I thought he put on a very good show, but I remember someone in the crowd sort of heckling him and calling him somewhat of a fake. He simply responded "You don't know what I've been through" and that was that.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I saw him many years ago opening for Bettye Lavette. I thought he put on a very good show, but I remember someone in the crowd sort of heckling him and calling him somewhat of a fake. He simply responded "You don't know what I've been through" and that was that.
    Oh! Glad to hear he was good though.

This is rather in the Sam & Dave vein...

This fantastic track has that mid-'60s mock-calypso feel to it...

He's paid his dues, running a soul radio show in college, helping old skool soul artists, him & his band backing up other artists on shows. PLUS, he's very good though I've only heard him on record [[not live).

Oh, that's great to hear, jsmith. And he is very good, isn't he!? I checked out some of Eli's later work and unfortunately he went for the "old-skool-but-incorporating-elements-of-awful-2010s-music" kinda vibe [[his 2014 album Nights Like This) but oh well! Still great.