[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

DRATS Return To Love

I have seen excerpts from this concert on YouTube but has there been a version of the concert in its entirety. Was it ever made available on DVD or transmitted on TV in the US?

The tour was cancelled midway through so I hardly doubt anyone behind the scenes would have seen a dvd as a financially sound decision. I believe the airing of the VH1 special tribute to Miss Ross was the closest to anything regarding RTL on television. From the vids I've seen on Youtube it looked like it was a good show. Miss Ross was still in fine vocal form. Had it been a successful tour all the way through, it's possible a dvd package could have been in the works.

The opening night show was edited down and shown two nights later as part of VH1's OPENING NIGHT series.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I have seen excerpts from this concert on YouTube but has there been a version of the concert in its entirety. Was it ever made available on DVD or transmitted on TV in the US?
    A full video recording of the concert exists out there in the underground, but it's never commercially seen the light of day. An acquaintance of mine has a copy on VHS [[remember those?).

the original plan was to tape the last show ,apparently in las vegas and have all the supremes ladies join them on stage and it was to be released as a dvd and a live cd. but it never happened,although I have a copy of the show ,myself. great show.

I have bootlegs of the concert. I think Philly and Madison Square Garden. I would love to see the full professional video. I sure wish I knew how to get a copy. I loved this show.

I remember watching the Diana tribute on VH1, I actually enjoyed it from what I remember, I just recall hearing about a lot of difficulties with it, technical or otherwise.

the VH1 special was a mess behind the scenes but I have heard Diana was in a bad space at the time. shortly thereafter RTL Tour began.
    sad to me that when other males groups were paid to do reunion tour they were all paid equal amounts. I think one group got 9 million for each member but when it came to the woman in rock. and elsewhere they were paid far less but that was only part of the problem. but its not worth bringing up now/

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    the VH1 special was a mess behind the scenes but I have heard Diana was in a bad space at the time. shortly thereafter RTL Tour began.
    sad to me that when other males groups were paid to do reunion tour they were all paid equal amounts. I think one group got 9 million for each member but when it came to the woman in rock. and elsewhere they were paid far less but that was only part of the problem. but its not worth bringing up now/
    I agree daviddh but if new members want to know a fair and real accurate accout of Miss Ross and the whole RTL tour they should order A Lifetime To Get Here by Tom Adrahtas. Its the best book an d real rich in history. Everyoner I know thats bought it loves it and its well researched. Heres a ling to order it. Fondly, Roberta

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Get-...rds=Diana+Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I agree daviddh but if new members want to know a fair and real accurate accout of Miss Ross and the whole RTL tour they should order A Lifetime To Get Here by Tom Adrahtas. Its the best book an d real rich in history. Everyoner I know thats bought it loves it and its well researched. Heres a ling to order it. Fondly, Roberta

Thank you for the recommendation Roberta, imdidnt know about this book and have just ordered it. Looking forward to a good read.

The MSG show was epic! Diana's solo 'Reach Out [[I'll Be There)' was a deep-cut dream come true. A shame Cindy Birdsong was talked out of joining the tour; she could really have used the $ and we fans would have loved to see her. But, indeed, no official release as mentioned by everyone who replied before me.

I've wondered about 'A Lifetime ...' - thanks for your review and recommendation, Ms. Roberta, I'll read it now.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    I remember watching the Diana tribute on VH1, I actually enjoyed it from what I remember, I just recall hearing about a lot of difficulties with it, technical or otherwise.
    I was with Diana at the taping of this and despite or perhaps in spite of the presence of Mariah, Destinys Child, Faith Hill and the lovely and much missed Donna Summer it was an experience i would not like to repeat in a hurry. The best i can say about it is that i got to know Donna Summer and i found her to be a lovely, friendly lady whom i kept in touch with until her sad passing.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I've wondered about 'A Lifetime ...' - thanks for your review and recommendation, Ms. Roberta, I'll read it now.
    You wil enjoy it dear PeaceNHarmony. Mr Adrahtas writes a real loving and fair book about Miss Ross and its real well researched. Enjoy.

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Thank you for the recommendation Roberta, imdidnt know about this book and have just ordered it. Looking forward to a good read.
    My pleasure dear master blaster. I think you will enjoy this book. Mr Adrahtas doesn't wallow in the dirt but gives good inside and great facts.

Fondly,

Roberta

RTL was one of the greatest fiascos in music history because it dethroned a reigning superstar.

Ross picked 2 relatively unknown ladies to be part of Diana Ross and the Supremes. These 2 ladies were NEVER part of the group known as "Diana Ross and the Supremes." Ross thought the audience was too stupid to notice or care. When it was obvious very early on that it was not going to work out, she was relentless and defiant.

As a huge Ross fan, I was appalled at her Today Show and DIva's performances. The Today Show featured a desperate and confused Ross. The Diva's show featured a Ross that sounded terrible and looked worse. It was a nightmare. Sadly, very sadly, the Diva show had a huge viewing audience. Millions got to see Diana at her absolute worst. During the show, the camera showed Rhonda smiling and cheering this horrible performance. I thought, "Wow, no wonder Ross has no clue because her children don't either."
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 03-28-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    RTL was one of the greatest fiascos in music history. Ross picked 2 relatively unknown ladies to be part of Diana Ross and the Supremes. These 2 ladies were NEVER part of the group known as "Diana Ross and the Supremes." Ross thought the audience was too stupid to notice or care.

As a huge Ross fan, I was appalled at her Today Show and DIva's performances. The Today Show featured a desperate and confused Ross. The Diva's show featured a Ross that sounded terrible and looked worse. It was a nightmare. Sadly, very sadly, the Diva show had a huge viewing audience. Millions got to see Diana at her absolute worst. During the show, the camera showed Rhonda smiling and cheering this horrible performance. I thought, "Wow, no wonder Ross has no clue because her children don't either."
    Miss Ross was going through some real difficult times dear Circa so we should be kinder and nicer. Theres more than enough blame to go around for RTL and it doesnt all fall on Miss Ross. Thankfully all the ladies involve have moved on but sadly a few fans havent and take RLT real personally. If you want a balanced take on RTL I would suggest getting and reading A Lifetime To Get Here by Tom Adrahtas. Its the best book and real rich in history. Everyone I know thats read it it loves it and its real well researched. Heres a link to order it. Fondly, Roberta

It's clear Mary and Cindy were offered the part first and when mary tried to make a stand about payment distribution the promoters thought "fine we'll replace you with someone who won't demand as much $$$" and that's how it went down. All about $$$ for the promoters. Especially if they were to invite all seven ladies. But then they charged so much for this strange grouping. Three ladies, *EACH* and EVERY ONE of which has ***NEVER*** been in the group with EITHER of the other two at the same time for even a MOMENT. obviously not counting FLOS which is NOT the original group.

RTL is really water under the bridge--everything has been said and I think the final conclusion can be that it is a shame for everybody how it worked out, no winners in this story and no use to keep blaming one or the other. I had tickets for the MPLS show, which got cancelled; that was 17 years ago and I did get over it. For me, the best thing of RTL was that Diana Ross started to include full versions of Supremes songs in her show, and when she came to the Netherlands in 2004, she performed many of them I had never heard live on stage before. Quite wonderful!

Miss Ross was going through some real difficult times dear Circa so we should be kinder and nicer. Theres more than enough blame to go around for RTL and it doesnt all fall on Miss Ross. Thankfully all the ladies involve have moved on but sadly a few fans havent and take RLT real personally. If you want a balanced take on RTL I would suggest getting and reading A Lifetime To Get Here by Tom Adrahtas. Its the best book and real rich in history. Everyone I know thats read it it loves it and its real well researched. Heres a link to order it. Fondly, Roberta

Amen, Ms. Roberta! And the fact remains that the shows were excellent, even if the other two ladies were not who we wished for.

I read that book a few years back, I wouldn't quite call it a fair account. It kinda blames every one else and tries to say Diana Ross did nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Amen, Ms. Roberta! And the fact remains that the shows were excellent, even if the other two ladies were not who we wished for.
    But its all over now dear and Miss Wilson and Miss Ross and Miss Payne and Miss Lawrence all doing fine. Please everyone include Miss Birdsong in your daily prayers.

Roberta

I was able to see the RTL show here in Atlanta. Although I had been a big fan since the 60s collecting recordings/memorabilia, this was my first opportunity to see Diana, let alone with this lineup of Supremes. Overall, I thought the performance was very good. The opening, using the Dr. King video, was outstanding. If there was any particular aspect I didn't like, it would have been the use of additional background singers backing up Scherrie and Lynda. In my humble opinion, I felt that using said singers made the production look and sound too "over the top." It reminded me of the 70s Jimmy Webb album in that there was a soloist backed by the Mormon Tabernacle choir [[another forum member used that comparison in another thread).
    Last edited by jobucats; 03-28-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Can we please consign this story to History where it belongs? Everytime this subject is raised it quickly descends into all out war. No-one involved in this fiasco comes out of it well and i think we should all move forward and discuss something more positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Can we please consign this story to History where it belongs? Everytime this subject is raised it quickly descends into all out war. No-one involved in this fiasco comes out of it well and i think we should all move forward and discuss something more positive.
    Agreed - - -
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 03-28-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Amen my dear Bluebrock. Amen.

Bluebrock, per your request, I deleted my 2nd paragraph regarding the RTL tour although I feel that I was not trying to escalate any turmoil when reflecting back to the tour's complications and setbacks. I rarely give my opinions on this forum, as I know there are only a few forum participants who are allowed to do so. When I do state what is on my mind, I always clearly insert "in my opinion" as opposed to the dogmatic style I see in other folk's comments. My question, respectfully, if discussing the RTL tour should be "consigned to History," what topics are fair game for reminiscing? BTW, I do appreciate and look forward to your many insights.
    Last edited by jobucats; 03-28-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I read that book a few years back, I wouldn't quite call it a fair account. It kinda blames every one else and tries to say Diana Ross did nothing wrong.
    Agreed. Definitely very biased. And you can find extensive research and back up for all sides really so at the end of the day it is futile. But no that was not even close to a fair account. Maybe only fair to one person.

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    Agreed. Definitely very biased. And you can find extensive research and back up for all sides really so at the end of the day it is futile. But no that was not even close to a fair account. Maybe only fair to one person.
    I think "A Lifetime to Get Here" was very well written and real balanced imo. Also Tom had some real rare photos in the book that made it more than worth the $11.

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Get-...e+Tom+Adrahtas
    Last edited by Roberta75; 03-28-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Bluebrock, per your request, I deleted my 2nd paragraph regarding the RTL tour although I feel that I was not trying to escalate any turmoil when reflecting back to the tour's complications and setbacks. I rarely give my opinions on this forum, as I know there are only a few forum participants who are allowed to do so. When I do state what is on my mind, I always clearly insert "in my opinion" as opposed to the dogmatic style I see in other folk's comments. My question, respectfully, if discussing the RTL tour should be "consigned to History," what topics are fair game for reminiscing? BTW, I do appreciate and look forward to your many insights.
    Jobucats, I know you were asking Bluebrock, and I'm not answering for him, just going to give my opinion if I may. I know where Bluebrock and others are coming from, but I can't quite agree that we should leave it as history and move on. I'm too much of a history lover [[be it music or otherwise) to get behind such a suggestion. However, I think it's important to tread carefully with certain subjects lest they get out of control. No censorship, but be aware of one's surroundings. I've been coming to this forum for years before signing up and FINALLY participating, and one of the most polarizing thread subjects is RTL. I think the thread started off well. It was a discussion about the show itself and I don't see anything wrong with doing that. It's a part of Supremes/Diana Ross/Motown history and we should be able to talk about it and remember it in some way. However, RTL allows the intro of trolls, like someone above who I have noticed seems to make it a point to post that which he/she hopes will bait people into something negative [[and somehow most always succeeds). So sometimes it feels like it's just better to leave the topic alone lest we have another war on our hands. But again, that isn't fair to the subject at all, especially when so many have said they actually enjoyed the shows that did take place. I'd like to see more discussion on the music of RTL than the backstage business or personal issues that pretty much no one in this forum was privy to in first person. But it's also important to remember that if there's a subject that one isn't necessarily interested in, they have the option to refrain from clicking. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Jobucats, I know you were asking Bluebrock, and I'm not answering for him, just going to give my opinion if I may. I know where Bluebrock and others are coming from, but I can't quite agree that we should leave it as history and move on. I'm too much of a history lover [[be it music or otherwise) to get behind such a suggestion. However, I think it's important to tread carefully with certain subjects lest they get out of control. No censorship, but be aware of one's surroundings. I've been coming to this forum for years before signing up and FINALLY participating, and one of the most polarizing thread subjects is RTL. I think the thread started off well. It was a discussion about the show itself and I don't see anything wrong with doing that. It's a part of Supremes/Diana Ross/Motown history and we should be able to talk about it and remember it in some way. However, RTL allows the intro of trolls, like someone above who I have noticed seems to make it a point to post that which he/she hopes will bait people into something negative [[and somehow most always succeeds). So sometimes it feels like it's just better to leave the topic alone lest we have another war on our hands. But again, that isn't fair to the subject at all, especially when so many have said they actually enjoyed the shows that did take place. I'd like to see more discussion on the music of RTL than the backstage business or personal issues that pretty much no one in this forum was privy to in first person. But it's also important to remember that if there's a subject that one isn't necessarily interested in, they have the option to refrain from clicking. Just my two cents.
    Nice perspective, RanRan79. Thank you.

No one is in charge here but Ralph. People should respectfully discuss what they want . Free press.

Roberta thanks for the tip on the book ,off to order.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    No one is in charge here but Ralph. People should respectfully discuss what they want . Free press.
    I second that emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Hey jobucats i wasn't accusing you of trying to stir up trouble, but when this subject has been discussed previously it has quickly descended into a mass brawl with certain members claiming they know the inside story, and then a member with opposite views quickly retaliating with their own "inside" accounts of what happened. With some people it is all black or white with no room for conceding that maybe, just maybe there were faults on both sides. Obviously RTL is fair game for discussion so long as it isn't brought down to the gutter level again. I guess Ralph will keep a close eye on proceedings and hopefully ensure that does not happen again. Thank you for your kind words by the way.They are very much appreciated.

from what I saw of the show ,per my dvd version, it was great. the customes were typical lavish supremes style and I thought it was a great sounding show,
    my personal issues with the actual show were some classics were missing Nothing But Heartaches , In and Out Of Love. but I did hear that they performed both on another night while on my copy they performed Forever Came Today and Diana had a longer solo.
    I did think the inclusion of Money was strange instead of a supremes classic as I would have preferred one of Dianas newest singles or a supremes fav instead...Ask Any Girl or Going Down For The Third Time.
    Lynda sang Up The Ladder To The Roof while Scherrie delivered Stoned Love.both were great. I thought the dancers were a waist of time.imo. not sure why there were additional back up singers?
    if interested set list..lol from my memory was
    Reflections
    My World is Empty
    Come See About Me
    Love Is An Itching
    Back In mY Arms
    Where Dir Our Love Go
    Baby Love
    Stop !
    You Cant Hurry Love
    Love Child
    I Hear A Symphony
    Love Is Here
    The Happening
    You Keep Me Hangin ON
    Forever Came Today
    Somewhere
    Up The ladder To The Roof....
    Stoned Love
    Reach Out Ill Be There
    I will survive...not exact but failry close.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    RTL is really water under the bridge--everything has been said and I think the final conclusion can be that it is a shame for everybody how it worked out, no winners in this story and no use to keep blaming one or the other. I had tickets for the MPLS show, which got cancelled; that was 17 years ago and I did get over it. For me, the best thing of RTL was that Diana Ross started to include full versions of Supremes songs in her show, and when she came to the Netherlands in 2004, she performed many of them I had never heard live on stage before. Quite wonderful!
    Japp; that would have been the show that I would have went to. If memory serves me right, it was to be that the Target Center? I remember thinking that the venue seemed pretty ambitious. I ended up passing on tickets, for they were a bit out of my pocketbook range. Were they around $250.00? All these years later, I'd probably give a little more consideration. I had a friend that ordered tickets and I think he got a free copy of a Diana VHS with his order. Did you get any goodies with your tickets?

I watched the Opening Night special on VH1 and thought it was pretty fabulous. Diana was stunning as usual; Scherrie and Lynd looked equally fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Japp; that would have been the show that I would have went to. If memory serves me right, it was to be that the Target Center? I remember thinking that the venue seemed pretty ambitious. I ended up passing on tickets, for they were a bit out of my pocketbook range. Were they around $250.00? All these years later, I'd probably give a little more consideration. I had a friend that ordered tickets and I think he got a free copy of a Diana VHS with his order. Did you get any goodies with your tickets?

I watched the Opening Night special on VH1 and thought it was pretty fabulous. Diana was stunning as usual; Scherrie and Lynd looked equally fabulous.
    Yes, lost in the tide is the fact that the ladies looked and sounded great; it was a wonderful experience for those of us who were able to see a performance!

I saw Diana, Scherrie and Lynda in Return to Love and they were FABULOUS !!!
    I tossed aside all and any negative thoughts and felt this was going to be a once in a life time performance of these three women sharing the stage. I was right !!!! They were beautiful, and Supreme on stage. I can't remember how I actually got a copy of the show on VHS but I did transfer to DVD. Also got a copy of the MSG show and have that on DVD as well. Strange that I can not remember how I got them but that was about seventeen years ago.

How many shows were taped? I've seen videos of the MSG show on YouTube and someone did post a video of them performing "Forever Came Today" from the Columbus show on YouTube [[it's been removed) but that's all I've seen. I heard they did "In And Out Of Love" in Detroit but haven't seen footage of it. Which shows were professionally taped?

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    How many shows were taped? I've seen videos of the MSG show on YouTube and someone did post a video of them performing "Forever Came Today" from the Columbus show on YouTube [[it's been removed) but that's all I've seen. I heard they did "In And Out Of Love" in Detroit but haven't seen footage of it. Which shows were professionally taped?
    To my knowledge, three shows were taped. Or at least I saw three offered for sale. The first [[Philly), the last [[NYC), and the third one in a city that I can't recall. It might be Columbus, as I know they did FOREVER CAME TODAY on it. These were bootlegs, although the NYC show was well done.

I'm not sure how many of the shows were professionally taped, other than the first one. It was edited and 30 minutes [[I think) aired two nights later on OPENING NIGHT LIVE on VH1.
    Last edited by reese; 03-30-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Sorry for opening old wounds, it really wasn't intended. The only sadness for me was the RTL concert never made it to the UK, I think it would have been well received, Diana always performed to sell out venues over here.
    From the footage I've seen, I have been very impressed with the performance of all three 'Supremes', Scherrie and Lynda look happy and as stated earlier, it's great to hear full length versions of the hits, particularly backed by a full orchestra.

I never knew they did "Nothing But Heartaches" and "Forever Came Today"! I'll keep a look out on Youtube in case someone posts again.

I think if they got rid of the dancers, the xtra backup singers it may have done better. I think it added to the cost and really the dancers were only on a few moments. maybe save that for Vegas.
    also I think that instead of the Ross solo , I would have preferred her singing the new songs from Everyday Is A New Day. overall it looked great. I think the only professional version was from VH1 but it was edited to 30 minutes. hmmmm

I was with Diana at the taping of this and despite or perhaps in spite of the presence of Mariah, Destinys Child, Faith Hill and the lovely and much missed Donna Summer it was an experience i would not like to repeat in a hurry. The best i can say about it is that i got to know Donna Summer and i found her to be a lovely, friendly lady whom i kept in touch with until her sad passing.
    Bluebrock, you say this because of the technical difficulties?

Personally, I did like to watch the show Divas on television. Diana was a little bit unfocused and her voice was hoarse, but she still did give a good performance.

Loved her play-duet with Mariah.

And the divas seemed to get along really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    Bluebrock, you say this because of the technical difficulties?

Personally, I did like to watch the show Divas on television. Diana was a little bit unfocused and her voice was hoarse, but she still did give a good performance.

Loved her play-duet with Mariah.

And the divas seemed to get along really well.
    It is true to say that Mariah is a big fan of Diana and to her credit she behaved as well as you could possibly expect Mariah Carey to behave if you catch my drift!!
    Diana in turn is a big fan of Mariah and they did work quite well together. Better than Beyonce who was already displaying her diva credentials at that early stage in her career. Faith Hill was nice enough, and Donna Summer was an absolute sweetheart, but the main problem here was Diana herself who was not in a good place and should not have gone through with it. The whole experience was an absolute nightmare and i could not wait to fly back to the UK.

I read Donna refused to do a song..maybe Stop in name of Love ..because of lack of rehersal.

Love your memories Bluebrock there was a trip from the UK to the New York show which I wish I had booked on to now just didn't have the opportunity back then

I would love to know if there was tour programs or other merchandise they should try to sell any unsold items on e bay to recoup some of the money lost !!

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    Love your memories Bluebrock there was a trip from the UK to the New York show which I wish I had booked on to now just didn't have the opportunity back then

I would love to know if there was tour programs or other merchandise they should try to sell any unsold items on e bay to recoup some of the money lost !!
    I was able to get a RTL program from eBay. I have a t-shirt as well, with the familiar pink-tinted shots of D,S, and L. But I don't remember where I bought the t-shirt from.

It is true to say that Mariah is a big fan of Diana and to her credit she behaved as well as you could possibly expect Mariah Carey to behave if you catch my drift!!
    Diana in turn is a big fan of Mariah and they did work quite well together. Better than Beyonce who was already displaying her diva credentials at that early stage in her career. Faith Hill was nice enough, and Donna Summer was an absolute sweetheart, but the main problem here was Diana herself who was not in a good place and should not have gone through with it. The whole experience was an absolute nightmare and i could not wait to fly back to the UK.
    Also, I do recall [[and have a copy) VH1 produced a followup to the Diva performance which showcased the many things that went wrong that evening. My opinion is that it appeared to be quite a struggle for everyone to pull everything together. Also, I read that Donna Summer, who I love and loved her contribution to the show, did not feel comfortable being on stage in the same costumes as Diana and Mariah.