[REMOVE ADS]

Why no Isleys live This Old Heaet of Mine?

I've been searching and can't "find one from the 60s. Why not? We have Velevelettes live from then and Elgins etc. Did they not ever appear on TV and sing it? My fave Motown song!

Good question, luke! I would LOVE to see footage of the song performed. It was a big hit and the group must have performed it somewhere, right?

I don't think they ever performed it live on TV. When i met Ron Isley around 15 years ago he told me he had no recollection of performing it on TV and said the song was always more popular in the UK than the USA. Not sure how true that is but i had no choice but to take his word for it.

There is a video of Ron and Rod Stewart singing it but not a live performance when I saw the isleys live about 10 years ago Ron sang about 30seconds of it and that was the only nod to their Motown Years

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I don't think they ever performed it live on TV. When i met Ron Isley around 15 years ago he told me he had no recollection of performing it on TV and said the song was always more popular in the UK than the USA. Not sure how true that is but i had no choice but to take his word for it.
    It was nearly a Top Ten hit in the US, making #12 on the Hot 100, and a #6 on the R&B Charts.

The performances by The Velvelettes and Elgins were of songs that weren't as as highly charting [[but still fantastic, of course) like "Heaven Must Have Sent You" and "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You"... meh, I don't know.

But "This Old Heart Of Mine" was definitely a bigger hit in the UK, reaching #3 upon reissue in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    There is a video of Ron and Rod Stewart singing it but not a live performance when I saw the isleys live about 10 years ago Ron sang about 30seconds of it and that was the only nod to their Motown Years
    Oh, wow, thanks dickiemint! Let me try and find it...

Is this it?

I knew about this but really would like to see a 60s one. Odd as It was much bigger in USA than Heaven Myst Have Sent You and These Things will keep me loving you and When I'm Gone all of which had personal TV appearances. I wonder if the Isleys were already pulling away from Motown which affected getting them Tv appearances.

Even when the song was featured on MOTOWN 40, they couldn't find a clip of the Isleys singing it. Instead, they showed a clip of the guys singing SHOUT! on SHINDIG! and dubbed it over with TOHOFM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I've been searching and can't "find one from the 60s. Why not? We have Velevelettes live from then and Elgins etc. Did they not ever appear on TV and sing it? My fave Motown song!
    I don't know why there's no clip of The Isley's performing "This Old Heart Of Mine" on TV. I do remember seeing them on Lloyd Thaxton's show in 1967 performing "Got To Have You Back".

Motown had its own booking organization, International Talent Management, Inc. Thy Isleys were established when they came to Motown and may have had their own booking agency or chose not to fall under the umbrella of ITM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yeah I think they did it on "Swingin' Time" with Robin Seymour in Canada once.

Duplicate post
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by robb_k; 03-26-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah I think they did it on "Swingin' Time" with Robin Seymour in Canada once.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes, that seems to ring a bell. I'm sure I saw a clip of that show many years ago. I hope it still exists. It was a big hit in Chicago, L.A. and The San Francisco Bay Area. I thought it was big all over USA. I would have expected that they'd at least have lip-sinked to it on a few of the other popular US national network teen dance shows, like American Bandstand, Shivaree, and Shebang, and also the syndicated independent ones like Lloyd Thaxton and Jerry Blavat.

The Isleys appeared on The Hy Lit Show on May 6, 1967.