[REMOVE ADS]

Game Called Love - The Originals

I was listening to this song today and was, well, a bit confused. Written and produced by the legendary Stevie Wonder, it was recorded by The Originals for their 1974 album of the same name.

So... it really doesn't strike me as a typical 'Stevie' song. I mean, his productions on The Spinners [["It's A Shame"), David Ruffin [["Make My Water Boil") and The Supremes [["Bad Weather") all have that wonderful early '70s Stevie magic! For me, however, "Game Called Love" does not...

I think I quite like it, and it seems like a grower. But, there are no moog synthesisers, no funky undertones, nothing that says "STEVIE!" like most of his other work in this period. Thoughts?

"I think I quite like it, and it seems like a grower. But, there are no moog synthesisers, no funky undertones, nothing that says "STEVIE!" like most of his other work in this period. Thoughts? [/QUOTE]"

I think that this song, which I’m hearing for the first time, shows how versatile Stevie was becoming. The tune has a c&w feel and is quite good. It also shows what “unsung heroes” the Originals were and that they were never given their due.

P.S. Still can’t figure out why “Suspicion” was never released as a single!

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    I think that this song, which I’m hearing for the first time, shows how versatile Stevie was becoming. The tune has a c&w feel and is quite good. It also shows what “unsung heroes” the Originals were and that they were never given their due.
    Now that is true! Stevie was very versatile indeed. And you're right about the Country & Western feel [[probably why I am struggling to absolutely love it)... that "twangy" guitar is very C&W! And The Originals are just such a great group, they are truly among Motown's most underrated acts!!!

P.S. Still can’t figure out why “Suspicion” was never released as a single!
    Hehe, me too!! I don't think there will EVER be a [[sufficient) answer for that question

Thanks for the reply anyway mowest!

This is a quality song. It has a distinct Country & Western feel to it. Stevie was smart to use the Originals harmonies the way he did. When Marvin produced them it was updated Doo Wop.

honest man Guest
    I Love this song and have done for decades,we need an Originals lost and found set soon.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is a quality song. It has a distinct Country & Western feel to it. Stevie was smart to use the Originals harmonies the way he did. When Marvin produced them it was updated Doo Wop.
    Very true Marv! The Originals' harmonies on this song are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    I Love this song and have done for decades,we need an Originals lost and found set soon.
    Yes indeed honest man!! But we need The Originals' released material to get reissued first!!!

I have never really cared for this track. The song itself is good as are the Originals' vocals but to me the twangy country style guitars sound contrived and unnecessary.
    Around this time the Pointer Sisters had a big hit with the country styled 'Fairytale' whch worked for them as they did not seem to be taking it too seriously and fitted their campy image at that time.
    I wonder if their are any alternate takes/mixes in the vaults of the Originals track which have a more subtle blend of country and soul?

Yea, I don't really like that twangy country guitar either, ozmo. I can tolerate it though [[the song and the vocals are great!) up until the end that is, when it does that awful really-twangy-I-can-imagine-a-cowboy-playing-it-pitch-increase thing... yuck!

I think I might cut it down and fade it out before the end so I don't vomit every time I play the song... LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yea, I don't really like that twangy country guitar either, ozmo. I can tolerate it though [[the song and the vocals are great!) up until the end that is, when it does that awful really-twangy-I-can-imagine-a-cowboy-playing-it-pitch-increase thing... yuck!

I think I might cut it down and fade it out before the end so I don't vomit every time I play the song... LOLOL
    It's frustrating because I want to like this track...but I don't with this production. That's why I'm hoping an alternate mix will someday surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    It's frustrating because I want to like this track...but I don't with this production. That's why I'm hoping an alternate mix will someday surface.
    Yes, it's really just that C&W-style production that I don't like about he song.

Ozmo, I didn't even think about the possibility of an alternative mix... one that's less countrified would be great!

Another excellent song and performance from The Originals.

Sorry but I've never cared for this track. It was indeed a strange one from Stevie. The other Stevie composition/production on another artist I don't like is the Spinners' We'll Have It Made, the very weak follow-up to It's A Shame

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Sorry but I've never cared for this track. It was indeed a strange one from Stevie. The other Stevie composition/production on another artist I don't like is the Spinners' We'll Have It Made, the very weak follow-up to It's A Shame
    Oh, now this one I DO like! Maybe not a hit follow-up to "It's A Shame" but fantastic nevertheless! Part of the problem for me is that the track has quite bad sound quality. The song only exists in that awful mono version... it should have been on The Spinners' 2nd Time Around album in glorious stereo!

Here's something from the album that's in a more standard soul vein... a lush ballad that just has that "Originals" feel about it...

A slightly relevant question: does anyone know why The Originals' next album, California Sunset, was released on the main Motown label? I always thought this was a bit odd as ALL of The Originals' other albums [[before and after) came out on Soul.

I believe California Sunset was actually scheduled for release on Soul but then cancelled and moved to Motown. Does anyone know why this happened? Could it have something to do with Lamont Dozier who produced the album?

Hi Tom!

Here's what Freddie Gorman told me about the album:
    "They never promoted it. As a matter of fact, the album was stopped right after it was released. It started receiving airplay, because one of the songs - Good Lovin' Is Just A Dime Away - had begun to show up, and then they stopped it. One of the reasons that I understand was that they thought Eddie Holland might sue, because he had a contract with Lamont Dozier. It was a very good album, but they sat on it." [[Soul Express: "The Originals - Underrated Soul Heroes").

Best regards
    Heikki

Oh, wow! Thank you again, heikki. So I was kinda right, it did have something to do with Lamont Dozier!!! But Freddie is right; it is a very good album. Thanks again heikki.