[REMOVE ADS]

The Temptations- The Way You Do The Things You Do Question

Similar question like the ASK ANY GIRL thread below... Why was this song repeated on THE TEMPTATIONS SING SMOKEY. It was already on MEET THE TEMPTATIONS. They could've put HAPPY LANDING and WHAT'S EASY FOR TWO IS SO HARD FOR ONE

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    Similar question like the ASK ANY GIRL thread below... Why was this song repeated on THE TEMPTATIONS SING SMOKEY. It was already on MEET THE TEMPTATIONS. They could've put HAPPY LANDING and WHAT'S EASY FOR TWO IS SO HARD FOR ONE
    My guess is if that song was catching fire, why not give it more exposure, especially when you have an album titled THE TEMPTATIONS SING SMOKEY. Had Motown not put that specific song on that album, the fans would have been asking why would you not put the one Smokey song that started opening doors for the group on such a "tribute" album.

OR, it could have been a reason as simple as ensuring sales for the hit song. If fans didn't buy the one album, maybe they would buy the other album, because by now, The Way You Do The Things You Do would have been more well known. Better yet, if they bought BOTH albums, you got double sales on the hit, and the hit would spur sales of the SING SMOKEY album.

Speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by huntergettingcaptured View Post
    My guess is if that song was catching fire, why not give it more exposure, especially when you have an album titled THE TEMPTATIONS SING SMOKEY. Had Motown not put that specific song on that album, the fans would have been asking why would you not put the one Smokey song that started opening doors for the group on such a "tribute" album.

OR, it could have been a reason as simple as ensuring sales for the hit song. If fans didn't buy the one album, maybe they would buy the other album, because by now, The Way You Do The Things You Do would have been more well known. Better yet, if they bought BOTH albums, you got double sales on the hit, and the hit would spur sales of the SING SMOKEY album.

Speculation.
    That makes sense sales wise. They should have found a way to include the songs that were left off.

Unfortunately, 12 songs were the album standard and the other issue was one of there just being to dang much good material for everything to get onto the albums. In fact, I just got my CD- One Track Mind! More Motown Guys- and one of the comments had to do with a Miracles track that was absolutely great, but it didn't make it onto the Away We A-Go-Go album because there was just so much material recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by huntergettingcaptured View Post
    Unfortunately, 12 songs were the album standard and the other issue was one of there just being to dang much good material for everything to get onto the albums. In fact, I just got my CD- One Track Mind! More Motown Guys- and one of the comments had to do with a Miracles track that was absolutely great, but it didn't make it onto the Away We A-Go-Go album because there was just so much material recorded.
    They should've either left of WSY OVER THERE, YOU CAN DEPEND ON ME, YOU'VE REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME. Or record more definitive 1965 material though it was released in March so the year was still fresh. Maybe if they'd worked with Mickey Stevenson and Ivy Jo Hunter the album would've had more of a 1965 type of sound.

They should've either left of WSY OVER THERE, YOU CAN DEPEND ON ME, YOU'VE REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME. Or record more definitive 1965 material though it was released in March so the year was still fresh. Maybe if they'd worked with Mickey Stevenson and Ivy Jo Hunter the album would've had more of a 1965 type of sound.
    My feeling is, this was a sort of Motown-Quick album [[think Mickey's Monkey, Heatwave, Marvelettes Sing Hits of '62) to capitalize on the group's recent run of hits with Smokey. Beyond the hit singles, there are a lot of songs that sound as if they were quickly recorded with just a basic rhythm section. "[[You Can) Depend On Me," "You've Really Got A Hold On Me," "Who's Lovin' You," "What's So Good About Good Bye," "You Beat Me To The Punch," "Way Over There" all sound like they were knocked off pretty quickly for the sake of making an entire album of Smokey cover tunes; keeping the album in line with the theme of the title.

Granted, I'm sure there were plenty of Smokey tunes in the vaults with more of a '65 sound, but let's say that when the album was being planned, the feeling was if it was stocked with Smokey Robinson songs very well-known to the public instead of a lot of new songs unfamiliar to the public, the album would sell a bit better. So they recorded these other songs in one session to get that album out. [[Also, I forgot about "My Girl" and "It's Growing" being included on this.)

At any rate, it's a fairly good album, but I do remember feeling like I had been kind of short-changed with those quickie numbers!
    Last edited by huntergettingcaptured; 03-22-2017 at 12:32 PM.

I've always wondered why[oh mother of mine]was not on[meet the temptations],the answer..sales,we have to remember that in early[64]the temps were not well known too much outside of detroit,so having a national hit had to be put on their first album,the same thinking with[sings smokey]although i think that the lp would've been a success with the material on it which included[it's growing].

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I've always wondered why[oh mother of mine]was not on[meet the temptations],the answer..sales,we have to remember that in early[64]the temps were not well known too much outside of detroit,so having a national hit had to be put on their first album,the same thinking with[sings smokey]although i think that the lp would've been a success with the material on it which included[it's growing].
    I agree. In fact, when I want to hear "The Way You Do the Things You Do", I play the "Meet the Temptations" album.

Unless we get an expanded edition of The Temptations Sing Smokey [[with detailed notes on how the LP was put together), we'll never for sure know why "The Way You Do The Things You Do" was repeated from the Meet The Temptations album. I like to call such repeats "real filler". And yes, there were many other songs in the vaults that could've been used instead [[like "Happy Landing").

Motown did like to re-use material whether on albums or singles. Here's one for you - "Dancing In The Street" was released on 3 consecutive Vandellas albums in the UK [[Heat Wave, Dance Party and Greatest Hits). Not to mention any live versions and versions by others [[eg Choker Campbell) in between.