[REMOVE ADS]

The Fairy Godmother's Revenge

Corny, corny. corny

Last edited by carole cucumber; 03-21-2017 at 10:04 PM.

My recollection is that this was Diane's first solo guest shot while she was still nominally with The Supremes, unless her short spots on Laugh In preceded it [[I can't remember the exact chronology). Dinah Shore and Lucille Ball, while both still big stars, were nonetheless more or less holdovers from the fifties. I suppose placing Diane on this special brought new blood and diversity which was probably a maneuver designed to garner a larger, younger audience, as well as to get Diane's name out there as a solo performer. Placing her alongside veterans like Shore and Ball, then, was probably thought to be a win-win, but, sadly, the special was really lame. The closing number [[for which I can't find a clip) had the three of them doing a Supremes parody, singing Dinah [[Is There Anyone Finer) in a somewhat Hitsville-styled arrangement, and was particularly cringe-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    ..... The closing number [[for which I can't find a clip) had the three of them doing a Supremes parody, singing Dinah [[Is There Anyone Finer) in a somewhat Hitsville-styled arrangement, and was particularly cringe-worthy.
    Starts at 55:49-

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Starts at 55:49-

Thanks, Carole. I had not seen that number since it was first aired.
    It's not as awful as I had remembered, but still it's pretty lame.
    I guess Dinah Shore was doing Mary and Lucy was Flo/Cindy.

Yep it was corny,but innocent fun,heck today you would have somebody in bed or talking dirty in prime time.

I agree that was corny as hell, but I love corny as hell things. That was fun to watch, thanks for sharing it.

DJMoch, we seem to be cut from the same cloth! I thought it was a riot, especially Lucy's deadpanning.

Does anyone remember when Lucy presented something on the American Music Awards, something went wrong and she deadpanned "What the hell?" And they had to rush Dick Clark out to save the moment?? Yes