[REMOVE ADS]

Separated at Birth? MOTHER DEAR & IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT

Hadn't occurred to me before but these two tunes sound awfully similar--with the exception of different tempos and orchestrations. A number of entries in the Motown catalogue sound somewhat similar to other recordings or, if not similar, noticeably 'related'. Follow-up syndrome often comes into play. And maybe that's why various recordings went into the vaults, only to see the light of day many years later due to public interest--i.e., our interest.

See what you think in this instance. Any other Motown pairings of your own that seem heavily linked to one another?

MOTHER DEAR:
    IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT:
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 03-21-2017 at 01:28 AM.

"It's All Your Fault" was written and recorded first in '64 with a second version being cut in early '65. If I'm not mistaken HDH used it to build "Mother Dear." By the time of assembling More Hits, "Mother Dear" being a stronger track and planned for possible single release, "It's All Your Fault" had no chance.

I've always loved them both. The best version of MOTHER DEAR is probably the released version. And the best version of IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT is the one released in 1986 on THE SUPREMES 25TH ANNIVERSARY album.

Here's another example of that; the song "Just To Keep You Satisfied". First recorded by The Monitors in 1968, and again by The Originals in 1970; both were shelved [[until The Originals version is released on The Very Best of The Originals in 1999 & The Monitors version is released on the deluxe edition of Let's Get It On in 2001. In 1971, Marvin Gaye reworks "Just To Keep You Satisfied" as "God Is Love" for the B-side of "What's Going On" [[and a different version for the What's Going On LP). And in 1973 yet another reworked version of "Just To Keep You Satisfied" becomes the closing track on Let's Get It On.

Also TOO BUSY THINKING ABOUT MY BABY by Jimmy Ruffin was re written as I KNOW HOW TO LOVE HER. Also the Tempts put their vocals on "TOO BUSY". Then total New version for Marvin in 1969. The Monitors had an unreleased version with a New track which was then re written as SMOOTH SAILING FROM NOW ON for The Temptation on their 1972 Solid Rock album. I love the way Motown does this.

I always preferred "It's All Your Fault" to "Mother Dear". I do like "Mother Dear" though, especially the third version but I wish the backing vocals were brought up front a bit more [[maybe we'll get a different mix on the Go Go expanded!). I've played "It's All Your Fault" at gatherings and parties and everyone always seem to like it. It's one of those songs that are easy to sing along with.

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    Also TOO BUSY THINKING ABOUT MY BABY by Jimmy Ruffin was re written as I KNOW HOW TO LOVE HER. Also the Tempts put their vocals on "TOO BUSY". Then total New version for Marvin in 1969. The Monitors had an unreleased version with a New track which was then re written as SMOOTH SAILING FROM NOW ON for The Temptation on their 1972 Solid Rock album. I love the way Motown does this.
    Oh, yes! I remember a whole thread on that one

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ng-temptations

However, I had no idea about "I Don't Know How To Love Her"... yet another plot twist to the story!!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-21-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Hadn't occurred to me before but these two tunes sound awfully similar--with the exception of different tempos and orchestrations. A number of entries in the Motown catalogue sound somewhat similar to other recordings or, if not similar, noticeably 'related'. Follow-up syndrome often comes into play. And maybe that's why various recordings went into the vaults, only to see the light of day many years later due to public interest--i.e., our interest.

See what you think in this instance. Any other Motown pairings of your own that seem heavily linked to one another?

MOTHER DEAR:
    IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT:
    I love both "Mother Dear" and "It's All Your Fault"... they are quite similar but I really don't mind, hehe

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Oh, yes! I remember a whole thread on that one

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...ng-temptations

However, I had no idea about "I Don't Know How To Love Her"... yet another plot twist to the story!!!
    I KNOW HOW TO LOVE HER is on Jimmy 's U.K ultimate collection. Also YouTube it. It's great.

Another good example of this is, "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted". First recorded by The Isley Bros. in Aug. 1965 as "Smile" [[and shelved until the 2004 release of Motown Sings Motown Tresures), the same song with new lyrics was recorded by Jimmy Ruffin [[and released in the summer of 66). Another Motown classic was born.

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    I KNOW HOW TO LOVE HER is on Jimmy 's U.K ultimate collection. Also YouTube it. It's great.
    Yes it is!! I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Another good example of this is, "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted". First recorded by The Isley Bros. in Aug. 1965 as "Smile" [[and shelved until the 2004 release of Motown Sings Motown Tresures), the same song with new lyrics was recorded by Jimmy Ruffin [[and released in the summer of 66). Another Motown classic was born.
    Wow! I didn't know about that one! How fascinating. Thanks Eddie.

One more example of that; The Temptations' "I Got Heaven Right Here On Earth". Recorded in 9/66 [[and shelved until the Tempts' Emperors Of Soul box set in 1995), the same backing track gets new lyrics and the song becomes The Undisputed Truth's "You Got The Love I Need" [[and released as the B-Side of "Smiling Faces Sometimes" in 5/71).

Isn't Martha and the Vandellas' "Tear For the Girl" and "Darling I Hum Our Song" basically the same cut?