[REMOVE ADS]

Esther Phillips - 'A Taste of Honey'

PeaceNHarmony, thanks for posting this and reminding me of what a talent Ms Esther was. She was one of those rare artists who could take any song and imprint her own unique personality on it, as your posting of 'A Taste of Honey' amply proves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    PeaceNHarmony, thanks for posting this and reminding me of what a talent Ms Esther was. She was one of those rare artists who could take any song and imprint her own unique personality on it, as your posting of 'A Taste of Honey' amply proves.
    You are most welcome, Ozmo, and I'm glad to find other Esther fans here. I've been a fan since the 'Burnin' ' live LP. I did see Esther live once, at the Bottom Line in NYC, and even got to shake her hand! As you say she had a style all her own and to my ears everything she recorded is worth hearing.

Her nasal voice is very unique and I have Esther Phillip's all time favorites from my teens in the 70's when I discovered this woman on my CTI compilations by VVAA... "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" for example is a song I have played thousands of times.

P.D.: Sorry, I don't knows if is because I'm in Spain, but the video linked is not available [[!!??)

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Her nasal voice is very unique and I have Esther Phillip's all time favorites from my teens in the 70's when I discovered this woman on my CTI compilations by VVAA... "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" for example is a song I have played thousands of times.

P.D.: Sorry, I don't knows if is because I'm in Spain, but the video linked is not available [[!!??)
    Yes, the CTI years were an excellent period for Esther and she recorded [[I think) 6 superb LPs with CTI. 'Home Is ...' is a masterpiece!

Yes, Esther was a powerhouse and sadly underrated today. She is an all-time great.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yes, Esther was a powerhouse and sadly underrated today. She is an all-time great.
    At least we can be happy that most of her catalog is in print!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yes, the CTI years were an excellent period for Esther and she recorded [[I think) 6 superb LPs with CTI. 'Home Is ...' is a masterpiece!
    Yes indeed. Esther recorded the definitive version of "Baby I'm For Real" and that's only one of my favorites of hers.

Appart, she made a very good cover of one of my all-time vocal soul groups favorites, "One Night Affair" originally done by the Mighty O'JAYS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbtBi2Mbn5g

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Appart, she made a very good cover of one of my all-time vocal soul groups favorites, "One Night Affair" originally done by the Mighty O'JAYS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbtBi2Mbn5g
    Absolutely! From the lp 'What A Difference ...'. And Jerry Butler also did a great version on his 'The Spice of Life' double LP from '72.

Hi!

I think I have all of her recordings from her 45-year recording career. This is one of my biggest favourites from the early 70s

https://youtu.be/0CkNGR78Q60

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

I think I have all of her recordings from her 45-year recording career. This is one of my biggest favourites from the early 70s

https://youtu.be/0CkNGR78Q60

Best regards
    Heikki
    LOVE that one, Heikki! A great performance by Esther, for sure.

The first time I heard the fantastic voice of Esther Philips reminded me on another great and, sadly, underrated female singer: DONNA HIGHTOWER, whit a nasal voice very similar to Esther's register and I listened with passion before my teens on the radio [[also, my sister, older than me, have some of her singles). She was established here in Spain during some years in the first 70's and recorded "This World Today Is A Mess", played in the airwaves during years [[also recorded a duet with spanish pop singer Danny daniel, "El Val de las Mariposas" - "Buterfly's Vals"- a stupid brain-less lyrical pop song!).