[REMOVE ADS]

CD Reissue Review: The Dells 'Sweet As Funk Can Be'

‘Sweet As Funk Can Be’ is The Dells’ 9th LP overall and the 7th LP issued during the group’s glory years at Cadet Records. Produced, arranged, and conducted by the under-recognized Charles Stepney, this 1972 release proved to be somewhat of an underperformer after the group’s masterwork ‘Freedom Means’and its extraordinary [[though admittedly odd …) follow-up ‘The Dells Sing Dionne Warwicke’s Greatest Hits’.

Stepney viewed the ultra-talented Dells as a unit that could take the hit-single-and-filler r&b LP to a higher artistic level. ‘SAFCB’ forwards his vision into a suite of 7 original songs by Terry Callier and Larry Wade with 1 cover [[Bacharach & David’s ‘The Look Of Love’) interspersed with a prologue and 7 ‘segues’ written by Callier and Stepney, featuring spoken word raps and vocalizations bythe group. These pieces rather weigh the listening experience down these 40+ years later but in no way take away from the glory and vocal majesty that is The Dells at their best.

There are utterly heart-stopping ballads on this release[[‘Do What You Gotta Do Babe’ and ‘Just As Long As We Have Love’ being the standouts that shoulda-been major hits) as well as the great up-tempo ‘Windy City Soul’. There’s really not a bad, or even minor, song on this LP and the vocal dynamics between leads Marvin Junior and Johnny Carter, perhaps the major under-rated vocal dynasty of the R&R era, remain unparalleled - and the Stepney arrangements are superb as always.

“Sweet As Funk Can Be’ is a 2016 release by Playback Records and its purchase is HIGHLY recommended! Can ‘Give Your Baby A Standing Ovation’ be next?? One can hope!
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 03-17-2017 at 08:56 PM.

I've been hoping for a long time II would see this lp on cd. Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    I've been hoping for a long time II would see this lp on cd. Yeah!
    I never thought we'd see this one!

Received it and Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    Received it and Love it!
    Were you familiar with the album from it's LP days? It's one that I never heard in full even though I was a Dells fan. The Dells are quite well represented on CD reissues; I'm really hoping for 'Give Your Baby ...' next. Glad you bought a copy of 'Sweet As ...' and are loving it as much as I am!

Yes I was. I Loved it then when it came out. The funny thing is that I really didn't know too much on Charles Stepney and Terry Callier then and now looking back I see why I liked the lp so muchthen. A couple of years ago I had just converted my lp so I could listen to it in my iPod and wishing it would come out on cd.
    Last edited by caliluv; 04-08-2017 at 01:43 AM.