[REMOVE ADS]

Smokey Robinson: Motown VP

Smokey first retired from performing in [[I think) 1972 to work full-time as a Motown executive; some information refers to him as Vice-President. I've always wondered if we know exactly what his responsibilities were? Smokey was an executive at the same time Motown was experiencing upheavals: the defection of the Four Tops, the death-spiral of the Supremes after Jean and Cindy left, GK&TP jumping ship, Martha Reeves leaving with no solo contract, etc. While there were excellent M'town hits during these years for Stevie, Marvin, Diana, etc., there was also lots of unhappiness among prior hit-makers. I'm wondering where Smokey's executive responsibilities stood during these times? [[NOTE: This is a serious inquiry, not meant to sound derogatory of Mr. R!)
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 03-17-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Mmm, interesting, PeaceNHarmony. I don't know anything really about Smokey as Vice President of Motown. However, didn't he return to the studio pretty soon after becoming VP to work with The Supremes and record a [[fantastic) solo album?

In his book, Smokey says that as a VP, he was responsible for signing new talent.

In the 70s, I believe it was Ewart Abner who was President, when the company lost acts such as the Four Tops, the Pips, and the Jacksons.

TomatoTom, I could be wrong here, but I thought Smokey was appointed V.P. way back in the early days of the company [[in 1961) - so at least a decade before the events you're mentioning. I'm assuming you're referring to The Supremes "Floy Joy" album, released in May 1972, just before his last live appearance with The Miracles in July 1972, and his first solo album "Smokey" released in 1973.

Oh! I don't know. I remember reading that he became VP in the early '70s and that's why he retired?

Ok, just checked Wikipedia and, basically, you were right! Smokey had become Motown VP by the mid '60s and retired in 1972 in order to focus on this job more [[and his family).