[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Tina Turner Appreciation Thread!

    I think it's time to give Tina Turner some play. After all she is a Soul & Rock icon that barely gets a mention here. Check this spectacular performance at the 1985 Grammy Awards:

    Last edited by marv2; 03-16-2017 at 08:29 PM.

  2. #2
    Good one marv, miss tina is an icon and has been since the days of[ike an tina]with her soulful raspy sultry voice and great legs a soul queen!!

  3. #3
    Tina Turner's 1993 solo rendition of "Proud Mary"...



    Has to be one of the best build-ups and climaxes ever in the history of, um, music! Just love it... my fave version 😁
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-16-2017 at 07:29 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Good one marv, miss tina is an icon and has been since the days of[ike an tina]with her soulful raspy sultry voice and great legs a soul queen!!
    Wasn't she something else? She and Ike had their first hit the year I was born. I was grown and out of college and she was still having hits! This performance I saw the night it aired and it just knocked me the fock out! LOL! She was beyond sexy, she was classy and she showed her immense stage experience LOL!!!! You could see many in the audience with their jaws dropped.

  5. #5
    Ike and Tina Turner and "Fool In Love"


  6. #6
    My absolute favorite concert from "The Burner," right before her massive comeback:


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    My absolute favorite concert from "The Burner," right before her massive comeback:

    I remember "Soundstage" from years ago. It use to air on PBS I believe. This is right at the tipping point of Tina's major comeback. Thank you sansradio

  8. #8
    You betcha, Marv. I taped this from PBS back in the '80s. Wonder if I still have it?

  9. #9
    I have two all time favorites by Tina:

    - The duo with Fontella Bass "Poor Little Fool"
    - The cover of Trammp's "Disco Inferno"

    (I always have preferred the cover of "Proud Mary" by Billy Paul on his "Ebony Woman" album)

  10. #10
    I loved Tina before I really even heard their records.....just looking at their album covers in the record shops in very early 60's.Then the first 45 I bought of theirs was "Two Is A Couple" on the Sue label 1964. In about '65 while riding school bus home I saw the Ike & Tina bus outside Club 436 & got off the bus & met the whole Revue(even Ms Robbie) but ofcourse was too young to go into the Club even for sound check. Many meetings with Ike & Tina in the following years. Next to James Brown Show The Ike & Tina Revue was the most exciting LIVE show to see.

  11. #11
    This one came out during one of the really fun periods of my life so far. I was using American Express traveler's checks just to party all over the city. This video to me was Tina at her sexiest! Who would have thought the rough, raw sounding Tina of the sixties would evolve into an even more versatile singer, performer by the mid 80s? Here's one of her at her best!


  12. #12
    christ not sure where to start but here is one I do definitely like
    Ike & Tina Turner - River Deep Mountain High

  13. #13
    Oh that was great. I wonder if they used the Ikettes we see in the video in the studio for backups for that particular record?

  14. #14
    Here in Spain there was an humoristic duo called "Martes y Trece" who made many parodies of all kind of artists. Here's one of Tina Turner they made for spanish TV in the first 80's:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX0MVl_WKe0

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Here in Spain there was an humoristic duo called "Martes y Trece" who made many parodies of all kind of artists. Here's one of Tina Turner they made for spanish TV in the first 80's:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX0MVl_WKe0

    That was funny! LOL!!!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Oh that was great. I wonder if they used the Ikettes we see in the video in the studio for backups for that particular record?
    Marv, according to Darlene Love in her autobiography (My Name Is Love) the backups on River Deep Mountain High were Darlene, Fanita James, Jean King (the Blossoms) plus Clydie King and Grazia Nitzsche. According to Darlene, Ike was paid a substantial sum by Phil Spector to stay well away from the recording studio. Apparently one alpha male control freak was enough!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    Marv, according to Darlene Love in her autobiography (My Name Is Love) the backups on River Deep Mountain High were Darlene, Fanita James, Jean King (the Blossoms) plus Clydie King and Grazia Nitzsche. According to Darlene, Ike was paid a substantial sum by Phil Spector to stay well away from the recording studio. Apparently one alpha male control freak was enough!
    Oh really? They are all great singers. I guess Cher had already reached star status with Sonny. She use to do a lot of session work for Phil Spector. Thanks Ozmo.

  18. #18
    Here's another personal favorite of mine from somewhere in the 80s. "Two People":


  19. #19
    One of her greats is[private dancer]a classic.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ike and Tina Turner and "Fool In Love"

    Now you're talking.......LOVE this song.

  21. #21

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I remember that one......

  23. #23
    My personal jam from the Ike days:


  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    My personal jam from the Ike days:


    Now that was a popular one when I was in high school. From 1975!

  25. #25
    In 1985 I drove more than I have ever had in my life before or since. This one of the songs that seemed to always pop up on the radio no matter where I was that summer......


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.