[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves and Barry Manilow

Here's a clip I remember from way back when on, I believe, "The Midnight Special" - Barry introduces Martha as a surprise guest! Dr. Reeves looks trim, fit, and fine!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh8BPwHuRVc
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 03-15-2017 at 11:45 AM.

don't think I've seen this since the original broadcast, Martha does look GREAT.Musta been '76/'77? Thanks for posting.

Wow,martha looks real good.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Here's a clip I remember from way back when on, I believe, "The Midnight Special" - Barry introduces Martha as a surprise guest! Dr. Reeves looks trim, fit, and fine!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh8BPwHuRVc
    Love this clip and love love love the First Lady of Motown Dr Marth Reeves hair in this video.

Thank you for posting.

Fondly,

Roberta

I didn't know Martha Reeves was a "Dr." - what is she a doctor in?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Love this clip and love love love the First Lady of Motown Dr Marth Reeves hair in this video.

Thank you for posting.

Fondly,

Roberta
    Indeed! It's a fully natural look [[hair and little or no makeup) for Dr. Reeves and she looks sublime! I think it was really a last-minute request by Barry for her to appear, and she did great!

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    don't think I've seen this since the original broadcast, Martha does look GREAT.Musta been '76/'77? Thanks for posting.
    It was broadcast on March 14, 1975 ... 42 years ago yesterday!

Great to see! Wasn't Martha done with Motown by this time?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    It was broadcast on March 14, 1975 ... 42 years ago yesterday!
    Great research; thanks! I remember watching the original for Barry, and was SO surprised and delighted when he announced Martha! Way back then a surprise could really be a surprise. Manilow was on Arista and Dr. Reeves' [[superb) Arista LP 'The Rest Of My Life' was a '76 release so I assume there was a tie-in. Know anything more?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great to see! Wasn't Martha done with Motown by this time?
    Yes, Dr. Reeves had released the 'Richard Perry' LP in '74, which I believe was her first post-Motown activity.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Great research; thanks! I remember watching the original for Barry, and was SO surprised and delighted when he announced Martha! Way back then a surprise could really be a surprise. Manilow was on Arista and Dr. Reeves' [[superb) Arista LP 'The Rest Of My Life' was a '76 release so I assume there was a tie-in. Know anything more?
    I know Barry and his back-up singers Lady Flash used to do a Vandellas medley in their show. I particularly remember them doing it on SOUNDSTAGE.

Later, Martha appeared as a solo on THE MIDNIGHT SPECIAL when her THE REST OF MY LIFE album was released. She sang the title track and a hits medley.

TomatoTom, according to Wikipedia, "Reeves received an honorary PhD in Humanities on November 25, 2012, in Detroit." Not sure from which institution. Roberta?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    TomatoTom, according to Wikipedia, "Reeves received an honorary PhD in Humanities on November 25, 2012, in Detroit." Not sure from which institution. Roberta?
    Thanks sansradio!