[REMOVE ADS]

Harry "Lee" Gates Seems To Also Be Louis Curry

Detroit '60s Soul artist and songwriter, Harry Lee Gates, lead singer of The Dramatics on Crackerjack, The Caravelles on Starmaker, and solo artist, "Lee" Gates on Enterprise Records, also seems to be Louis Curry on Detroit's M-S and Reel Records.

ALL of his cuts on those two Detroit late 1960s labels were Fred Brown/Joe Hunter productions published by their Brohun Music, and had Gates as a co-writer of the songs. Listen to "A Toast To You" and "Captivated" on M-S Records and "You're Just Plain Nice" on Reel Records. Gates' voice is unmistakable. I can't believe I didn't notice that all these years.

In addition, I wonder if he was also the lead singer of Motown's [[Miracle) mystery group, The Equadors. "You're My Desire" sounds like he might not be the lead. But, "Someone To Call My Own" sounds a lot like him. What do you all think?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  21.1 KB
    Not many '60 obscure Detroit Soul fans here, eh? I wonder why no one ever thought of this before, during all this forum's years, 2002-2017?

Hi Robb; you may want to post this on Detroit Yes forum also. They tracked down the club that Betty Lavette asked about some time ago. I'm sure there are Detroit 60's soul music fans on here, like myself, but they probably don't know the answer or an educated guess. Perhaps like me, they are too young to know detailed Detroit music history [[I do remember Louis Curry's record "A toast to you" which was played on WJLB and WCHB).

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Hi Robb; you may want to post this on Detroit Yes forum also. They tracked down the club that Betty Lavette asked about some time ago. I'm sure there are Detroit 60's soul music fans on here, like myself, but they probably don't know the answer or an educated guess. Perhaps like me, they are too young to know detailed Detroit music history [[I do remember Louis Curry's record "A toast to you" which was played on WJLB and WCHB).
Views: 457
    You can listen to ALL Harry Gates' and Louis Curry's and The Equadors' cuts on You-Tube to compare the voices.

Equadors - "Someone To Call My Own", "You're My Desire"

Caravelles - "Angry Angel", "Pink Lips"

Dramatics - "Toy Soldier", "Hello Summer"

Lee Gates - "Nothin' But Wonderful", "Don't Make It A Habit"

Louis Curry - "You're Just Plain Nice", "Don't Be More Woman Than I'm A Man"

Louis Curry - "A Toast To You", I'll Try Again Tomorrow"

Louis Curry - "Captivated", "You're Sweeter Than A Cup of Honey"

Louis Curry - "I've Got To Get Away From Here", "God's Creation"
    Last edited by robb_k; 03-12-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Views: 437
    Ady Croasdell of Ace/Kent Records told us that Dave Hamilton used to be Louis Curry's manager in 1967, and that he and Harry Lee Gates were different people. But, I hear a familial similar tone in their voices, and can't help wondering if they were brothers or cousins [[just as Cissy and Whitney Houston had a similar familial tone to their cousins, The Warwick Sisters.

The contract actually has Louis Curry as the real name and Lonnie Curry as the stage name.
    Harry Gates pops up all over the place. His original/alternate of Tony Hester's 'Just Can't Leave You' doesn't sound like Louis.
    In researching this I discovered Louis Curry's 'A Toast To You' has the same backing track as the unissued Simon Barbee we put out on a Dave Hamilton CD which uses the lyrics off his old 'The Wind' sung by the Barbees on Stepp in 1960

Views: 402
    Thanks, Ady. Given all the evidence, it is clear that Louis Curry is definitely not Harry Gates, and there is no evidence of any familial connection. I'm still hoping some information on who Motown's Equadors were, and also find more recordings on which Harry Gates Jr. [[AKA Lee Gates) sang.

I was under contract with M-S Records with The Strides when A Toast To You was released. Ed Kaplan was the guy who signed us. The other local artist with the label was Lonette [[McKee)...Curry had the biggest, and really the only charted song from that endeavor...The Strides had a track released titled I Can Get Along [[without your love). Really went nowhere. Lead singer Charlie Clark got drafted shortly after the songs release...

Interesting...Lee Gates was also the name of Golden World owner Ed Wingates girlfriend [[perhaps wife at some point)...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    I was under contract with M-S Records with The Strides when A Toast To You was released. Ed Kaplan was the guy who signed us. The other local artist with the label was Lonette [[McKee)...Curry had the biggest, and really the only charted song from that endeavor...The Strides had a track released titled I Can Get Along [[without your love). Really went nowhere. Lead singer Charlie Clark got drafted shortly after the songs release...
Views: 379
    M-S also had Tony Clark[[e). Ed Kaplan also owned Kool Kat Records, and was a partner in Dearborn and Marquee Records.

Interesting...Lee Gates was also the name of Golden World owner Ed Wingates girlfriend [[perhaps wife at some point)...
Views: 368
    Joanne Jackson-Bratton was Ed Wingate's partner in Golden world/Ric Tic/Wingate and his long-time ladyfriend and wife. So, when was the female "Lee Gates" his girlfriend?

Lee Gates, a beautiful lady BTW, was Ed Wingates constant companion throughout much of the 60's I knew as a youngster through mutual friends...I do also recall the Bratton connection and relationship as well, but those who know were well aware of the relationship I mentioned. I'm not saying that anyone was a committed "one woman man". A close relative of mine worked in the fashion industry with Ms Gates and her relationship with Mr Wingate was common knowledge...just don't know what became of all that...Mr Brattons Wiki page mentions that he was married to Ms Bratton "who was Ed Wingates business partner and LATER his wife". I would assume that Mr Wingate married Ms Bratton after his relationship with Ms Gates...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 11-12-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Lee Gates, a beautiful lady BTW, was Ed Wingates constant companion throughout much of the 60's I knew as a youngster through mutual friends...I do also recall the Bratton connection and relationship as well, but those who know were well aware of the relationship I mentioned. I'm not saying that anyone was a committed "one woman man". A close relative of mine worked in the fashion industry with Ms Gates and her relationship with Mr Wingate was common knowledge...just don't know what became of all that...Mr Brattons Wiki page mentions that he was married to Ms Bratton "who was Ed Wingates business partner and LATER his wife". I would assume that Mr Wingate married Ms Bratton after his relationship with Ms Gates...
Views: 387
    That seems most likely.