[REMOVE ADS]

Joni Sledge Dies @ 60

From the NY Times:
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSMARCH 11, 2017, 7:57 P.M. E.S.T.
    Continue reading the main storyShare This Page
    Tweet
    Email
    More
    Save
    NEW YORK — Joni Sledge, who with her sisters recorded the defining dance anthem "We Are Family," has died, the band's representative says.

She was 60.

Sledge was found dead in her home by a friend in Phoenix, Arizona, on Friday, the band's publicist, Biff Warren, said Saturday. A cause of death has not been determined.

"On yesterday, numbness fell upon our family. We welcome your prayers as we weep the loss of our sister, mother, aunt, niece and cousin," read a family statement.

Sledge and her sisters Debbie, Kim and Kathy formed the Sister Sledge in 1971, but had their breakout success in 1979 with "We Are Family." The dance song became an anthem of unity and women empowerment.

Sledge is survived by an adult son besides her sisters and other relatives.

That is so sad. I loved Sister Sledge from beginning to end, the ups and their downs. Rest in peace Joni......you did good!

Marv

My partner just broke the news to me. So sad. May she rest in power.

Oh, so very sad. I love Sister Sledge. "We Are Family" is one of my all-time favourite songs!

RIP Joni Sledge

So sad! I know we are all getting older but for some reason I have never been able to picture Sister Sledge as being anything but the sweet young girls they were back then.

RIP Joni. You left us far too early.

Here is my favorite cut with Joni on lead:

That knocked me for six. She was so young.

RIP Joni Sledge

What sad news and a shock to wake up to at 6am this morning, so completely sad, my heart & condolences go out to her family.

Rest in Peace Joni Sledge.

Hearing We are Family on Radio 4 this morning I said you died. I put the TV on then I read that Joni died so sad.

The first time I heard Sister Sledge was singing Mama never told me. Was a big hit in the UK [[1975)

Rest in Peace Joni Sledge you will be missed

... sad, sad, sad news one more time!
    Casually, yesterday I was looking this great video by The Spnners featuring Joni Sledge singing "Then Came You" where Joni plays the role of Dionne Warwick [[in her own style, of course). She is so sexy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4364qEsqBHM

Rest in Peace, Joni Sledge... sadly, another member of the "Phillysound" family is gone [[they started with Anthony Bell and Bobby Eli as producers - songwriters, "Mama Never Told Me" was and still be a favorite Philly number of mine)

Oh my, what terrible news. Joni, such a beautiful woman and so young.

Sister Sledge + Chic = Magic.

Heartbroken that I'll never get to see my childhood crush[[es) perform as a group.

Terrible sad news but shes home with the Lord now.

I didn't know Joni as as well as i did Kathy but whenever i did meet her she was courteous and charming and quite beautiful!! In fact i had something of a crush on her. Kathy was my favourite sister but Joni was the sexiest. Rest in peace dear sister.

Only 60.

R.I.P.

Name:  bestlunchever.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  51.1 KB Really heartbroken and saddened by the news. I had the chance to meet her on three occasions and she was friendly and funny each time. That's me standing next to her in the pic.
    When Debbie Sledge posted this photo she captioned it "the best lunch ever" and it really was. Since I was a kid I crushed really hard on the group Sister Sledge. So much so that I can remember in 7th grade myself and a friend arguing over which member was our girlfriend. They were beautiful, obviously talented, poised and well spoken and they made great music. Though the hits were awesome for some reason I always gravitated to the lesser known album cuts. Meeting them was something that I had given up on decades ago even though as a photographer I've met more celebrities than I can remember. In 2014 I was able to meet all four sisters on various occasions and did I get to meet them in a big way. It was in New York City and what I thought would be a photo op turned into something bigger. After a show, myself and a few others were able to hang around and talk with Joni and Debbie Sledge. They were very warm, inviting and very gracious. As if meeting them wasn't enough, they surprised us all with gifts from the world class travel store TUMI [[talk about classy). I received a beautiful wallet and a money clip with the inscription JC.SS. When I thanked Joni for it, she said may it bring blessings and prosperity in every aspect of your life. I thought to myself what nice people and what a great night. As if that wasn't enough, I was informed that we would be having lunch with Joni and Debbie Sledge. I felt like an audience member on an Oprah give-away show. We met the next day at a cafe in upper Manhattan and what could have been a fan out turned into a meeting of old friends eating, talking and laughing. The lunch lasted for hours as the conversations shifted from cooking to travel to growing up to old photographs and music of course. Debbie had to leave but Joni hung out with us a bit longer sharing more funny stories. She told us that Kim wanted to join us but she would be arriving later that evening. She made sure that the waiter was well taken care of since we held his table up for so long. It was childhood dream come true and a bond that was established. When Joni broke her ankle last summer, I inboxed her just to check up on her. The conversation turned around to her checking up on me. She lived life to the fullest and touched many lives in the process. Joni Sledge you will truly be missed but I thank you for the best lunch ever.

Another favorite Joni lead

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
Size:  51.1 KB Really heartbroken and saddened by the news. I had the chance to meet her on three occasions and she was friendly and funny each time. That's me standing next to her in the pic.
    When Debbie Sledge posted this photo she captioned it "the best lunch ever" and it really was. Since I was a kid I crushed really hard on the group Sister Sledge. So much so that I can remember in 7th grade myself and a friend arguing over which member was our girlfriend. They were beautiful, obviously talented, poised and well spoken and they made great music. Though the hits were awesome for some reason I always gravitated to the lesser known album cuts. Meeting them was something that I had given up on decades ago even though as a photographer I've met more celebrities than I can remember. In 2014 I was able to meet all four sisters on various occasions and did I get to meet them in a big way. It was in New York City and what I thought would be a photo op turned into something bigger. After a show, myself and a few others were able to hang around and talk with Joni and Debbie Sledge. They were very warm, inviting and very gracious. As if meeting them wasn't enough, they surprised us all with gifts from the world class travel store TUMI [[talk about classy). I received a beautiful wallet and a money clip with the inscription JC.SS. When I thanked Joni for it, she said may it bring blessings and prosperity in every aspect of your life. I thought to myself what nice people and what a great night. As if that wasn't enough, I was informed that we would be having lunch with Joni and Debbie Sledge. I felt like an audience member on an Oprah give-away show. We met the next day at a cafe in upper Manhattan and what could have been a fan out turned into a meeting of old friends eating, talking and laughing. The lunch lasted for hours as the conversations shifted from cooking to travel to growing up to old photographs and music of course. Debbie had to leave but Joni hung out with us a bit longer sharing more funny stories. She told us that Kim wanted to join us but she would be arriving later that evening. She made sure that the waiter was well taken care of since we held his table up for so long. It was childhood dream come true and a bond that was established. When Joni broke her ankle last summer, I inboxed her just to check up on her. The conversation turned around to her checking up on me. She lived life to the fullest and touched many lives in the process. Joni Sledge you will truly be missed but I thank you for the best lunch ever.
    What a beautiful tribute glencro. You are very fortunate to have known Joni as well asyou did. You will have many happy memories to look back on. Suddenly the world seems to be a much colder place.

First I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories with us on this forum very much appreciate you for this.

I've been checking back because I knew you would give us a great memory.

Thanks again and my condolences to all Joni's family and friends [[fans). May Joni Rest in everlasting peace.

Such sad news. I was just watching this weekend the PBS 70s Soul concert with Joni performing with her sister. May she RIP.

Thanks Glencro for sharing such a lovely memory of Joni Sledge. I am pleased to hear that she was as beautiful inside as she was on the outside.

My Joni memory has to do with her outer beauty. Back in the days when she dated basketball star Reggie Theus, formerly of the Chicago Bulls, she came to watch him play in a summer league game at Chicago State University. It was during the height of Sister Sledge's popularity. The stir she created when she entered the basketball court -- well...you would have thought Diana Ross had walked in. And for good reason, she was stunningly beautiful. It was our brush with fame for the summer. Joni will indeed be missed and celebrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    What a beautiful tribute glencro. You are very fortunate to have known Joni as well asyou did. You will have many happy memories to look back on. Suddenly the world seems to be a much colder place.
    Thank you and I totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    First I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories with us on this forum very much appreciate you for this.

I've been checking back because I knew you would give us a great memory.

Thanks again and my condolences to all Joni's family and friends [[fans). May Joni Rest in everlasting peace.
    You're welcome. So glad that I was able to experience meeting this beautiful soul

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    ... sad, sad, sad news one more time!
    Casually, yesterday I was looking this great video by The Spnners featuring Joni Sledge singing "Then Came You" where Joni plays the role of Dionne Warwick [[in her own style, of course). She is so sexy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4364qEsqBHM

Rest in Peace, Joni Sledge... sadly, another member of the "Phillysound" family is gone [[they started with Anthony Bell and Bobby Eli as producers - songwriters, "Mama Never Told Me" was and still be a favorite Philly number of mine)

Still in her teens

Touching story, Glencro, and to everyone else who shared. May you RIP, Joni. You and your sisters' music will always be loved.

R.I.P. Joni