[REMOVE ADS]

CD Reissue Review: The Undisputed Truth 'Face To Face With The Truth'

One of my bucket-list reissues occurred last year with Elemental Music's glorious CD issue of this 1972 Gordy records title. A sophomore follow-up to the first UT lp, this title contained no 'real' hits but is a great piece of Norman Whitfield-produced psychedelic soul. Six lengthy tracks feature the excellent vocals of Joe Harris [[SO under-rated), Billie Ray Calvin, and Brenda Joyce Evans as well as those intricate Whitfield arrangements that many of us love. No added material here, but this CD features sparkling sound as well as a gate-fold digipac sleeve and lyric insert envelope that replicates the original gate-fold LP. Those interested can find lots of info on this album on the internet; as a fan I say 'jump' at the chance to own a copy of this excellent title.

I bought this album on cd back in 2003 when it was issued as part of a series entittled 'Original Funk LP". As good as this album is, it puzzles me that it has been issued twice in cd form yet none of the Undisputed Truth's other great Motown albums have had a cd issue.

It's always been my favorite UT LP. Beautiful mastering on the CD. I just wish they had included the 7" version of "What It Is?" as a bonus track. But if you like this group, the album is a must have. Their version of "What's Going On" with the ever increasing tension in the background is just stunning. It also includes their rollicking version of "Superstar." But my absolute favorite is the opening track "You Make Your Own Heaven and Hell Right Here on Earth." At the time I was so young and that song spoke to me! I also read in a book about Motown once a writer who said something like, "It must have been the best title to read on a 45 "You Make Your..." by The Undisputed Truth!

An Undisputed Truth thread!!!! Yay

Indeed the group are very underrated... in particular Joe Harris, Motown's very own Jerry Butler [[yea, I know they actually signed Jerry Butler later on but meh!)

And this album is fantastic... "You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth" is almost as good as "Smiling Faces Sometimes" and I really don't why it wasn't a hit; a brilliant and not too dissimilar [[but not too similar) follow-up to "Smiling Faces" should have been at least a Top 40 smash, right!!?

Their rendition of "Superstar" has a fantastically powerful backing track, and I love the ever-so-slightly-psyched-out versions of "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me" and "Don't Let Take Him Take Your Love From Me"...

Now... the really important question... why haven't The Undisputed Truth's other 5 albums for Motown been reissued!!??? WHY!!??

Anyway, thank you for this thread PeaceNHarmony!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    An Undisputed Truth thread!!!! Yay

Indeed the group are very underrated... in particular Joe Harris, Motown's very own Jerry Butler [[yea, I know they actually signed Jerry Butler later on but meh!)

And this album is fantastic... "You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth" is almost as good as "Smiling Faces Sometimes" and I really don't why it wasn't a hit; a brilliant and not too dissimilar [[but not too similar) follow-up to "Smiling Faces" should have been at least a Top 40 smash, right!!?

Their rendition of "Superstar" has a fantastically powerful backing track, and I love the ever-so-slightly-psyched-out versions of "Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me" and "Don't Let Take Him Take Your Love From Me"...

Now... the really important question... why haven't The Undisputed Truth's other 5 albums for Motown been reissued!!??? WHY!!??

Anyway, thank you for this thread PeaceNHarmony!
    You are most welcome, TT! The comparison of Joe Harris and Jerry Butler is quite apt and I did not think of it until your mention. Do we know if Harris did any more recording after his exit from UT?

I agree with you on 'You Make ..' as a single and a likely follow-up to 'Smiling..'. Ultimately I guess we never know why one song is a hit and another not; I think sometimes a song hits the market and either takes off right away or not, then ... time passes ... and another record right behind it gets the enthusiasm.

I don't know why the other LPs have not been reissued, and the 'Whitfield' LPs have been. I'm going to contact the SoulMusic.com label and request them as 2-fers.

I think a problem with UT was that they seem to have been an 'assembled' group, possibly as an outlet for Whitfield to experiment with his psych-soul arrangements, and the members' revolving door aspect. I say, 'What evs'. The end results were brilliant! Stay in touch and update UT info frequently!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    You are most welcome, TT! The comparison of Joe Harris and Jerry Butler is quite apt and I did not think of it until your mention. Do we know if Harris did any more recording after his exit from UT?
    Ah, well! I know this:

Joe Harris was the only constant throughout The Undisputed Truth's existence, and that was from 1970 to 1979. The last incarnation of the group was made up of Joe Harris, Lloyd Williams, Melvin Stewart and Marcy Thomas. This line-up recorded the group's last ever LP Smokin' in 1979. When The Truth disbanded shortly after, Norman Whitfield assembled a group [[yea, another one!) called Dream Machine. Dream Machine was made up of ex-Undisputed Truth members Joe Harris, Taka Boom [[a member in 1976), Lloyd Williams and Melvin Stewart, and other musicians. The Undisputed Truth in the late '70s are often pictured with a load of other random musicians that weren't really members. Anyway, Dream Machine released one self-titled album in 1981. The LP has Norman Whitfield written all over it, but, listening now to previews on AllMusic [[its fantastic!), Joe Harris doesn't appear to sing lead on any songs. Oh, and the album was reissued on CD as well in 2011. [[I didn't even know that - I'll have to buy it now!)

Now, apart from that, I don't think Joe made any other recordings in the 1980s. I don't know though, and I would love to find out that he did. In the early 1990s, however, I do know that Joe recorded for Ian Levine's Motown revival label Motorcity Records. Joe and Brenda Evans reformed The Undisputed Truth with ex-Brainstorm singer Belita Woods and did a new version of "Law Of The Land" [[it's actually very good). Joe also recorded a cover of "Aint Understanding Mellow" [[originally by Jerry Butler and Brenda Lea Eager!!) with Carolyn Crawford!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-11-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Ok... just checked Discogs now and Joe Harris gets vocal credit on various albums throughout the 1980s... he is on Mammatapee's On The One and Rose Royce's Jump Street and Stronger Than Ever.

It looks like Joe did some work with George Clinton too... he gets vocal credit on Some Of My Best Jokes Are Friends, R&B Skeletons In The Closet and The Cinderella Theory. I haven't checked these out properly and I think he might just be on backing vocals, but you never know!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-11-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Those Elemental releases are well worth the money. I'm hoping for some more interesting releases this year.

I agree with you on 'You Make ..' as a single and a likely follow-up to 'Smiling..'. Ultimately I guess we never know why one song is a hit and another not; I think sometimes a song hits the market and either takes off right away or not, then ... time passes ... and another record right behind it gets the enthusiasm.
    Yea, a great shame really. The Undisputed Truth don't deserve to be remembered as a "one-hit wonder" when they made so much great music. Maybe the Top 3 smash with "Smiling Faces" was quite a hard act to follow?

I don't know why the other LPs have not been reissued, and the 'Whitfield' LPs have been. I'm going to contact the SoulMusic.com label and request them as 2-fers.
    Oh wow! You can do that? That's great. The Truth had six albums out for Motown in total; their self-titled debut would go best with this one I think. And the funky proto-disco Law Of The Land and Down To Earth would go well together. And lastly the crazy spaced-out vibes of Cosmic Truth and Higher Than High. [[I know I'm wishing for waaayyy too much... Lol)

I think a problem with UT was that they seem to have been an 'assembled' group, possibly as an outlet for Whitfield to experiment with his psych-soul arrangements, and the members' revolving door aspect. I say, 'What evs'. The end results were brilliant! Stay in touch and update UT info frequently!
    Yea... The Undisputed Truth seem to be remembered as "Norman Whitfield's test group" and, while, he was of course their creator and sole producer, the group was incredibly talented on its own. After all, the music is so brilliant it speaks for itself!!

And, YES!! ANY info on The Undisputed Truth is always welcome
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-11-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Yea, a great shame really. The Undisputed Truth don't deserve to be remembered as a "one-hit wonder" when they made so much great music. Maybe the Top 3 smash with "Smiling Faces" was quite a hard act to follow?

Oh wow! You can do that? That's great. The Truth had six albums out for Motown in total; their self-titled debut would go best with this one I think. And the funky proto-disco Law Of The Land and Down To Earth would go well together. And lastly the crazy spaced-out vibes of Cosmic Truth and Higher Than High. [[I know I'm wishing for waaayyy too much... Lol)

Yea... The Undisputed Truth seem to be remembered as "Norman Whitfield's test group" and, while, he was of course their creator and sole producer, the group was incredibly talented on its own. After all, the music is so brilliant it speaks for itself!!

And, YES!! ANY info on The Undisputed Truth is always welcome
    Thanks again for all the research on other projects Joe Harris sang on - I'll search them out. Wounded Bird also has an address you can e-mail to requesting reissues - I'm sure it's a drop in the bucket but at least they'll know there is interest!

Thanks again for all the research on other projects Joe Harris sang on - I'll search them out. Wounded Bird also has an address you can e-mail to requesting reissues - I'm sure it's a drop in the bucket but at least they'll know there is interest!
    No problem PeaceNHarmony! I learnt half the stuff as I was typing it out!!! I just really love The Undisputed Truth

And I will try that email thing... sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    It's always been my favorite UT LP. Beautiful mastering on the CD. I just wish they had included the 7" version of "What It Is?" as a bonus track. But if you like this group, the album is a must have. Their version of "What's Going On" with the ever increasing tension in the background is just stunning. It also includes their rollicking version of "Superstar." But my absolute favorite is the opening track "You Make Your Own Heaven and Hell Right Here on Earth." At the time I was so young and that song spoke to me! I also read in a book about Motown once a writer who said something like, "It must have been the best title to read on a 45 "You Make Your..." by The Undisputed Truth!
    That's my favourite track ever, by any artist. It's an absolute masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    That's my favourite track ever, by any artist. It's an absolute masterpiece.
    Mmm-hmm! One of my favourites too...

Everything is carefully and wonderfully arranged... that dramatic string work, the tight horn section... and possibly The Undisputed Truth's best vocal performance, ever!

Mmm-hmm! One of my favourites too...

Everything is carefully and wonderfully arranged... that dramatic string work, the tight horn section... and possibly The Undisputed Truth's best vocal performance, ever!

It is similar to their version of Smiling Faces Sometimes Tom, but I think it's much better.

It is similar to their version of Smiling Faces Sometimes Tom, but I think it's much better.
    It certainly is similar, Cosmic!! However, while "Heaven And Earth" is absolutely brilliant, I do prefer "Smiling Faces", I have to say! I love how both have that dramatic build up but I think I prefer "Smiling Faces" as a song in and of itself. Also, and I know this is only relevant to the album version, I don't like how the last two-and-a-half minutes of "Heaven And Earth" is almost purely instrumental. However, this is a minor issue and I love the song to bits!!!

I also feel like "Smiling Faces" 'sounded' more like a hit... shorter running time, greater impact, catchier chorus, etc. But choosing between the two songs is really like deciding which of your children you love best. I guess I'm a bad parent!!!

It certainly is similar, Cosmic!! However, while "Heaven And Earth" is absolutely brilliant, I do prefer "Smiling Faces", I have to say! I love how both have that dramatic build up but I think I prefer "Smiling Faces" as a song in and of itself. Also, and I know this is only relevant to the album version, I don't like how the last two-and-a-half minutes of "Heaven And Earth" is almost purely instrumental. However, this is a minor issue and I love the song to bits!!!

I also feel like "Smiling Faces" 'sounded' more like a hit... shorter running time, greater impact, catchier chorus, etc. But choosing between the two songs is really like deciding which of your children you love best. I guess I'm a bad parent!!!
    I think you are right. "Smiling Faces" had a better Top 40 quality because it was easier to get into. "Heaven and Hell" is really more of a mood piece, for listening to in a reflective kind of mood, not really a dance tune. "Smiling Faces" you could dance to.

I remember listening to "Heaven and Hell" on those big old clunky head phones [[which actually seem to have made a comeback!) after being out partying with friends. Because of that, I think I loved the long hypnotic ending. But it still sounds great after all these years!

Thanks for posting!

There's no doubt Smiling Faces was more hit material than YMYOHAHRHOE.

I think the instrumental last few minutes was probably down to the psychedelic era of the time, Tom, and was designed for people to take to trip to, as was the end of The Undisputed Truth's version of Down By The River that we've previously discussed.

I think you are right. "Smiling Faces" had a better Top 40 quality because it was easier to get into. "Heaven and Hell" is really more of a mood piece, for listening to in a reflective kind of mood, not really a dance tune. "Smiling Faces" you could dance to.

I remember listening to "Heaven and Hell" on those big old clunky head phones [[which actually seem to have made a comeback!) after being out partying with friends. Because of that, I think I loved the long hypnotic ending. But it still sounds great after all these years!

Thanks for posting!
    Yes, I agree, kenneth! And you're welcome

There's no doubt Smiling Faces was more hit material than YMYOHAHRHOE.
    LOL... what a ridiculously long abbreviation!

I think the instrumental last few minutes was probably down to the psychedelic era of the time, Tom, and was designed for people to take to trip to, as was the end of The Undisputed Truth's version of Down By The River that we've previously discussed.
    Yea, you're right, Cosmic. Same with their [[10 minute) version of "Ball Of Confusion", which is also fantastic!

LOL... what a ridiculously long abbreviation!

Yea, you're right, Cosmic. Same with their [[10 minute) version of "Ball Of Confusion", which is also fantastic!
    It really is.

It really is.

In my opinion, this is by far the best version of Ball Of Confusion.

In my opinion, this is by far the best version of Ball Of Confusion.
    Hmmmm... I can't decide! I love both versions... in equal measure [[i.e. LOTS!)

I love the UT version, and give it the edge over the Temps.

What is that interesting label? Is that a DJ-only label or is it just something the YouTube poster configured for his or her submissions to YouTube?

I love the UT version, and give it the edge over the Temps.

What is that interesting label? Is that a DJ-only label or is it just something the YouTube poster configured for his or her submissions to YouTube?
    Hey kenneth, I believe that label is some sort of unofficial 12" vinyl release... I found it on discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/Undisputed-T...elease/1037608

Hey kenneth, I believe that label is some sort of unofficial 12" vinyl release... I found it on discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/Undisputed-T...elease/1037608

I see. Thanks for the info!

Hmmmm... I can't decide! I love both versions... in equal measure [[i.e. LOTS!)
    Tom, did you know Edwin Starr recorded Ball Of Confusion, on his album Involved?

It's not as good as The Undisputed Truth, or Temptations, versions, in my opinion.

Tom, did you know Edwin Starr recorded Ball Of Confusion, on his album Involved?

It's not as good as The Undisputed Truth, or Temptations, versions, in my opinion.
    Yes, Cosmic, I remember listening to it before but not being particularly impressed. I do remember that The Undisputed Truth did backing vocals on Edwin's version too!

For those wanting a good selection of Motowns UT output, the Essential Collection is worth seeking out, currently on Amazon UK at £5.99 and a lot cheaper from other sellers. Includes many of the 'Face to Face ' tracks, single versions although full length YMYOHAH and Whats Going On. Also includes the original Papa Was A Rolling Stone [[album version) and the great Girl Youre Alright. At 19 tracks, this CD is a bargain.