[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Great track. It's a shame that the strings got suppressed during the first verse in the 7" mono mix.

I also love the strings on "My Whole World Ended" by David Ruffin and dislike the fact that they similarly were dropped for part of the 7" mix.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Stevie Wonder-I'm Wondering
    Stevie Wonder- Shoe Be Do Be Do Dah Day
    Four Tops-I Can't Help Myself
    Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston- It Takes Two
    Four Tops - Baby I Need Your Loving

There are also some fabulous little arrangements on R Dean Taylor's Back Street, Edwin Starr-Soul City [[Open Your Arms To Me)-Blinky & Edwin-Oh How Happy

but the biggest prize from me goes to

Temptations - Smiling Faces Sometimes

Regarding Stevie Wonder- Shoo Be Do Be Do Dah Day, the strings are great but you'd hardly know it on the 7" mix since they're barely audible.

The strings on "Honey Chile" by Martha Reeves and The Vandellas also got a similar treatment.

In both cases it's stereo for me.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 03-15-2017 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Premature post

My fav is the magnificent strings of[since i lost my baby-the temptations]so sad and beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    Regarding Stevie Wonder- Shoo Be Do Be Do Dah Day, the strings are great but you'd hardly know it on the 7" mix since they're barely audible.

The strings on "Honey Chile" by Martha Reeves and The Vandellas also got a similar treatment.

In both cases it's stereo for me.
    Jimmy Ruffin- Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got and Marvin's Too Busy ..on US mono 45 worked the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    I also love the strings on "My Whole World Ended" by David Ruffin and dislike the fact that they similarly were dropped for part of the 7" mix.
    YES! Can't believe I forgot about that heartbreakingly brilliant tune with its heavenly string work

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Jimmy Ruffin- Gonna Give Her All The Love I've Got and Marvin's Too Busy ..on US mono 45 worked the other way.
    The certainly did. The intro to "Too Busy.." just isn't the same in stereo, or on the alternative mono mix which we seem to get everywhere these days.

The same also applies to "I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose" by Marv Johnson, which sounds so anaemic in every way in stereo.

Marvin & Tammi's "This Poor Heart Of Mine" from their "Easy" album. The strings on the instrumental break are typical-Motown HOT! The Detroit Symphony String players surely earned their money during the recording session for that one!

What's So Good About Goodbye - The Miracles
    Way Over There - Miracles
    I Don't Want to Take A Chance - Mary Wells
    My Baby - The Temptations
    Ask Any Girl - The Supremes
    Don't Compare Me With Her - Kim Weston
    You're Gonna Love My Baby - Barbara McNair
    Lonely Lonely Girl Am I - The Velvelettes

Has anyone mentioned Michael's "I Wanna Be Where You Are"? Those strings at the beginning send me.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Michael's "I Wanna Be Where You Are"? Those strings at the beginning send me.
    Ahh, yes of course, enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/imaginationmi...ou-are-strings

Thanks, kje71! Heavenly!

Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Lonely Lonely Girl Am I - The Velvelettes
    I heard this for the first time today. I loved the song and the strings on this recording are the BEST!

Clearly Midnight Johnny loves those strings.....here is his latest extended version

I love the strings on "I'm Ready for Love" by Martha and the Vandellas. I believe it's the mono version that I love the best. Some of those early Motown strings, like on "What's So Good About Goodbye" are absolutely great.

the rise in volume in the strings half way thru Diana's often looked over masterpiece "Now That Your Gone" for me [[1980)