[REMOVE ADS]

thomas96 Guest

Four Tops - I'll Take Care of You

Well I just came across the classic Marvin track again and happened by DFTMC and found that the Four Tops recorded this. It's on an acetate listed and that's it, no other releases. Does anyone have a copy of this or have heard it? Dying to hear their take, if anyone here has it or has any info on it.

Here's Marvin's great rendition:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zFexceVh1bo
    Last edited by thomas96; 03-07-2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Video

I didn't even know about the Marvin version of this tune... it was never on a original LP of his I believe! I would love to hear The Four Tops' rendition of the song too...

thomas96 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I didn't even know about the Marvin version of this tune... it was never on a original LP of his I believe! I would love to hear The Four Tops' rendition of the song too...
    I hadn't heard it in years. It's a b side, never on album. Hoping some one can chime in on the Four Tops.

Tom, Marvin Gaye's "I'll Take Care Of You" is one of my all-time favorite H-D-H productions. It's also one of my favorite performances by The Andantes! Their beautifully-operatic ooh's-and-aah's, together with Marvin's honey-sweet vocals and H-D-H's sweet melody and production, combine to create the Motown magic that still keeps me coming back for more.

And you're right -- "I'll Take Care Of You" appeared as the B-Side of Marvin's "Your Unchanging Love" 45 only. It never appeared on a Motown album during the 1960's. It wasn't until the advent of the CD when it finally appeared on Marvin's "Motown Love Songs", "The Complete Motown Singles [[Vol. 7) , and "The Moods Of Marvin Gaye [[Expanded) on Universal Japan CD.

I've never heard of an existing version by the Four Tops, but I'm not at all surprised, since H-D-H often-times had more than one Motown artist record a version of their productions. I'll bet the Four Tops' version is every bit as pretty as Marvin's -- especially if The Andantes are on it. Don't worry, Tom -- if the master-tape exists, Harry, Andy, and George will one day find it!

Gary
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 03-08-2017 at 12:25 AM.

This four tops lover needs more unreleased material like I need air to breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Tom, Marvin Gaye's "I'll Take Care Of You" is one of my all-time favorite H-D-H productions. It's also one of my favorite performances by The Andantes! Their beautifully-operatic ooh's-and-aah's, together with Marvin's honey-sweet vocals and H-D-H's sweet melody and production, combine to create the Motown magic that still keeps me coming back for more.

And you're right -- "I'll Take Care Of You" appeared as the B-Side of Marvin's "Your Unchanging Love" 45 only. It never appeared on a Motown album during the 1960's. It wasn't until the advent of the CD when it finally appeared on Marvin's "Motown Love Songs", "The Complete Motown Singles [[Vol. 7) , and "The Moods Of Marvin Gaye [[Expanded) on Universal Japan CD.

I've never heard of an existing version by the Four Tops, but I'm not at all surprised, since H-D-H often-times had more than one Motown artist record a version of their productions. I'll bet the Four Tops' version is every bit as pretty as Marvin's -- especially if The Andantes are on it. Don't worry, Tom -- if the master-tape exists, Harry, Andy, and George will one day find it!

Gary
    Wow! Thanks for the info Gary. And one of your all-time fave H-D-H songs as well... to think I didn't even know this song existed yesterday!!!

I reckon this one is a real grower... one that I "quite like" right now but will love by the end of the week, you know?

Also, Marvin's vocals on "I'll Take Care Of You" really remind me of those on "You've Been A Long Time Coming"

Don't even ask me how much I adore that one...

Wow! Thanks for the info Gary. And one of your all-time fave H-D-H songs as well... to think I didn't even know this song existed yesterday!!!

I reckon this one is a real grower... one that I "quite like" right now but will love by the end of the week, you know?

Also, Marvin's vocals on "I'll Take Care Of You" really remind me of those on "You've Been A Long Time Coming"

Don't even ask me how much I adore that one...
    I've loved Marvin's "I'll Take Care Of You" from the moment I first played the B-side single, and I love it even more now. So, yeah, it's bound to grow on you even more as well!

Boy, Tom, you really know how to pick 'em! "You've Been A Long Time Coming" is another one of my all-time favorite H-D-H/Marvin Gaye/Andantes collaborations! It just doesn't get any prettier than this!

[[Tom, see previous thread) What a great album "The Many Moods Of Marvin Gaye" was....and still is! I, too, "adore" H-D-H's productions on Marvin and The Andantes. And here's another example why:

"You're The One For Me" [[Thanks to SBP519 for posting to YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gp6csNBNnY

I've loved Marvin's "I'll Take Care Of You" from the moment I first played the B-side single, and I love it even more now. So, yeah, it's bound to grow on you even more as well!
    Nice!

Boy, Tom, you really know how to pick 'em! "You've Been A Long Time Coming" is another one of my all-time favorite H-D-H/Marvin Gaye/Andantes collaborations! It just doesn't get any prettier than this!
    Haha... thanks Gary. Such a beautiful song isn't it!?

[[Tom, see previous thread) What a great album "The Many Moods Of Marvin Gaye" was....and still is! I, too, "adore" H-D-H's productions on Marvin and The Andantes. And here's another example why:

"You're The One For Me" [[Thanks to SBP519 for posting to YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gp6csNBNnY
    That one's nice too [[and a grower!)
    Is that Stevie on harmonica?

That one's nice too [[and a grower!)
    Is that Stevie on harmonica?
    Not sure about Stevie, but wouldn't be surprised. He was Motown's harmonica king!

Ok... I have actually fell in love with "I'll Take Care Of You" since last week... WOW

Is the release of The Four Tops' version likely or probable in the near future?

VERY fond memories of the Moods album. One of my first LPs, I bought it in a secondhand shop in Northern Ireland in 1967 when I was youth hostelling there, and carried it around in my backpack all the holiday before I could get it home and play it. Every track is a winner [[even the 'show' tunes). Here's another standout, a fabulous Clarence Paul production

thomas96 Guest
    Ok... I have actually fell in love with "I'll Take Care Of You" since last week... WOW

Is the release of The Four Tops' version likely or probable in the near future?
    Very glad you found it. Would love to find out the answer to that question as well.

And a fantastic album soulwally.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas96 View Post
    Very glad you found it. Would love to find out the answer to that question as well.
    Yes... here's the entry for it in DFTMC

I'll Take Care Of You [[Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland Jr) published Jobete
    Four Tops; recorded Hitsville, completed 28-Aug-64 ; produced by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier
    [pressing date unknown] [acetate]; LP [[M): JD 327

So at least we know it definitely exists!