[REMOVE ADS]

CD Reissue Review: The Dells 'Freedom Means'

In 2015 Caroline International and Soul Music Records issued the superb Dells 1971 title 'Freedom Means' for [[I believe) the first time on legit CD. Produced by the superb, multi-talented Charles Stepney, this title was the 7th LP by The Dells and their 5th on Chess/Cadet. Stepney created a conceptual LP largely revolving around songs dealing with different aspect and varieties of freedom. 6 original songs and 3 covers [[and the non-existent LP closer, 'Freedom Theme'!) make a superb showcase for the vocal talents of Verne Allison, Mickey McGill, Marvin Junior, Chuck Barksdale, and Johnny Carter.

The Stepney arrangements are the best of Baroque Soul, fully orchestrated and finely detailed yet never overpowering the true reason we listen to The Dells - those 5 magnificent voices. Best know on the LP is the hit single 'The Love We Had Stays On My Mind', surely one of the towering accomplishments of 1970s r&b.

This reissue contains no added tracks but has been mastered beautifully and has a nice booklet with new interviews. An A+ title for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    In 2015 Caroline International and Soul Music Records issued the superb Dells 1971 title 'Freedom Means' for [[I believe) the first time on legit CD. Produced by the superb, multi-talented Charles Stepney, this title was the 7th LP by The Dells and their 5th on Chess/Cadet. Stepney created a conceptual LP largely revolving around songs dealing with different aspect and varieties of freedom. 6 original songs and 3 covers [[and the non-existent LP closer, 'Freedom Theme'!) make a superb showcase for the vocal talents of Verne Allison, Mickey McGill, Marvin Junior, Chuck Barksdale, and Johnny Carter.

The Stepney arrangements are the best of Baroque Soul, fully orchestrated and finely detailed yet never overpowering the true reason we listen to The Dells - those 5 magnificent voices. Best know on the LP is the hit single 'The Love We Had Stays On My Mind', surely one of the towering accomplishments of 1970s r&b.

This reissue contains no added tracks but has been mastered beautifully and has a nice booklet with new interviews. An A+ title for sure.
    It is a classic for sure and one that i play regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It is a classic for sure and one that i play regularly.
    I was elated to have this issued on CD! I have 'There Is', the Dionne songbook, several compilations, and just recently 'Sweet As Funk Can Be' - Soul Music has issued some of the later titles which I'll get to soon. But I just love the Charles Stepney years. Mr. Stepney is quite under-rated nowadays. He was a towering producer. Have you a favorite Dells moment, Mr.B?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I was elated to have this issued on CD! I have 'There Is', the Dionne songbook, several compilations, and just recently 'Sweet As Funk Can Be' - Soul Music has issued some of the later titles which I'll get to soon. But I just love the Charles Stepney years. Mr. Stepney is quite under-rated nowadays. He was a towering producer. Have you a favorite Dells moment, Mr.B?
    I could name literally dozens my friend. I adore all eras of this wonderful group. Stay in my corner always moves me to tears. Similarly the love we had. I could mention maybe 50 classic ballads, but the mighty Dells could also kick up one hell of a storm on the dancefloor. How about the 12" version of All about the papers~? Just sublime. There are just too many, far too many...............