[REMOVE ADS]

What if Berry Gordy never sold Motown?

This is a question I thought of today... just, simply, what would have happened if Mr. Berry Gordy had never sold Motown to MCA in 1988?

Would the label have collapsed or gone into bankruptcy within five years? Would Berry have been able to sell it for even more money [[like MCA did to Polygram)? Or would Motown have lived on into the present day!?

He would have been able to sell it for a whole lot more. In 1991 I believe Polygram bought it for $331 million. When it sold it to MCA/Boston Ventures in 1988 he got $61 million.

Mmm... interesting, Marv. But wasn't Motown losing money by this time too?

Actually these are all hypothetical responses and no one really knows what the outcome would have been but, I think Berry selling Motown at the time he did was a smart move then. Motown could have grown but, Berry needed resources and he needed to surround himself with those resources that could help him grow. I will say this that Motown was the genius of talent, hardwork, timing, and a lot of love.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Mmm... interesting, Marv. But wasn't Motown losing money by this time too?
    They weren't growing at the time, but that was still not an overriding issue to cause Mr. Gordy to sell. I think he was just tired of running the company.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Actually these are all hypothetical responses and no one really knows what the outcome would have been but, I think Berry selling Motown at the time he did was a smart move then. Motown could have grown but, Berry needed resources and he needed to surround himself with those resources that could help him grow. I will say this that Motown was the genius of talent, hardwork, timing, and a lot of love.
    My response is based on fact! Do your research. It not the smartest move financially speaking. He was not in desperate need for resources. He could restructured and the concentrated on his core business .......making music! I don't know what your business background is, but what you said does not make sense. We know he was short changed when he sold the company. Everyone told him not to sell!

Yes, I do believe many people were telling Berry Gordy not to sell, including a Civil Rights leader [[whose name I cannot remember, UGHH!!) and Diana Ross?

Of course it was Berry's company and up to Berry at the end of the day!!!

Also, do you think Motown would have ever signed acts like Boyz II Men, Shanice or Johnny Gill had it remained an independent company?

Yes, I do believe many people were telling Berry Gordy not to sell, including a Civil Rights leader [[whose name I cannot remember, UGHH!!) and Diana Ross?

Of course it was Berry's company and up to Berry at the end of the day!!!
    If I'm not mistaken, are you thinking of the Rev. Jesse Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, are you thinking of the Rev. Jesse Jackson?
    YES! I am! Thank you

YES! I am! Thank you
    LOL! You're welcome. 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Another reason that it was a smart move for BG to sell Motown is that, according to both Berry's & Smokey Robinson's autobiographies, Berry was simply tired of running Motown. In fact, he wanted to sell the company years ago [[in the mid '80s) but it was halted by Stevie Wonder's refusal to sell his part of his publishing rights at the time. And no matter what, Motown & Berry Gordy will always be remembered as a triumph of hard work & talent.

Also, do you think Motown would have ever signed acts like Boyz II Men, Shanice or Johnny Gill had it remained an independent company?
    These were great signings for Motown at the time. All three acts had genuine talent unlike some others signed around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    My response is based on fact! Do your research. It not the smartest move financially speaking. He was not in desperate need for resources. He could restructured and the concentrated on his core business .......making music! I don't know what your business background is, but what you said does not make sense. We know he was short changed when he sold the company. Everyone told him not to sell!
    Hey Marv: a friend of mine who worked in distribution basically said what you posted. Also,too bad they didn't create a Las Vegas venue for legacy Motown acts so they could make a decent living and receive benefits. I think at least during the 80's and 90's it could have worked. Or even a sep label for legacy acts.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hey Marv: a friend of mine who worked in distribution basically said what you posted. Also,too bad they didn't create a Las Vegas venue for legacy Motown acts so they could make a decent living and receive benefits. I think at least during the 80's and 90's it could have worked. Or even a sep label for legacy acts.
    Thank you. I knew people inside and outside of Motown that not only did not want Mr. Gordy to sell, they did not think it was the right move to make. For years I believe he was grooming his children to take over the business at some point.

A Vegas venue would have been a good idea. Call it "House of Motown" or something. He/they could also resume a talent search in places like Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland etc. That is where they found their classic artists to begin with. They had enough staff that he no longer needed to have his finger in everything. At the time Mr. Gordy sold Motown, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie, the Temptations were still on the roster among other acts.

I guess was thinking abt the time Ian Levine tried his resurrection of various acts would have been a good time. Or even after the Big Chill there was a reassugence of the Motown Sound.

Not the smartest? Wasn't Motown in financial trouble by the time BG decided to sell it?

If Berry hadn't sold it, it would have gone broke as the big companies gobbled everything up

The Vegas idea is a good one-I wonder if they could do it now at a smaller club if enough of them are left

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I guess was thinking abt the time Ian Levine tried his resurrection of various acts would have been a good time. Or even after the Big Chill there was a reassugence of the Motown Sound.
    The very next year after Mr. Gordy sold Motown, Ian Levine came to Detroit to showcase the former Motowners and their new recordings they did with him. After Motown and the Big Chill in 1983 there was a brief "Motown Mania" remember that raisin commercial with "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"? They actually released a 12" single [[with Marvin's vocals) and I bought it! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    If Berry hadn't sold it, it would have gone broke as the big companies gobbled everything up

The Vegas idea is a good one-I wonder if they could do it now at a smaller club if enough of them are left
    Motown would not have gone broke! They had a massive catalog and own publishing that was extremely substantial. If the big companies were "gobbling up" everything, they would have had to pay for Motown as well!
    Last edited by marv2; 03-05-2017 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

I suggest that they would have to market it perfectly. Not cheesy but classy. I don't know, but it seems that maintaining Motown legacy needs more than the play to keep it in front of the market. Of course my dream would be for MSS to reform!!!! But Brenda Holloway [[sp), Tempts, Martha Tops, and the Sups Mary Diana Scherrie Susaye and Lynda are still performing among others.

I didn't know this until very recently... Philadelphia International also became defunct the same time as Motown was being sold off [[1987)

Interesting that two classic soul labels with a genre-defining sound of their own both came to a close around the same time!!

I didn't know this until very recently... Philadelphia International also became defunct the same time as Motown was being sold off [[1987)

Interesting that two classic soul labels with a genre-defining sound of their own both came to a close around the same time!!
    That is mainly because in America, we do not value our classic acts and their music the way they do in other countries. Here you are as good as your last hit unless you are a dynamite performer.

A great shame, Marv. Also, I kinda feel like the late eighties and nineties weren't kind to soul music and artists in general!

A great shame, Marv. Also, I kinda feel like the late eighties and nineties weren't kind to soul music and artists in general!
    Maybe that was because New Jack Swing and Gangster Rap were the popular urban music styles during those years.

It would if folded. Motown was losing Millions and the frequent hits of the 60's were gone. And most of the artist from that 60's era were gone. Between that and opearting expenses being high in California, he had to sell.

Motown Records' parent company, Motown Industries, was long the largest black-owned company in the country until it fell on hard times. This was due to some unsuccessful television ventures and the loss to other record companies of some of its top artists, including Michael Jackson and Diana Ross.

According to Black Enterprise magazine, Motown in 1984 lost its ranking as the largest black-owned company to Johnson Publishing, publisher of Ebony and Jet magazines. In Black Enterprise's most recent survey, released last month, Motown Industries fell to fifth place with an estimated $100 million in revenue.

Industry sources estimated Motown Records' annual sales at about $20 million, although Michael Roshkind, a consultant and close associate of Gordy's for 20 years, said that estimate is too low.

Despite all that Gordy held on to Jobete.