[REMOVE ADS]

Isley Brothers Motown Album Cover

I had read the ridiculous stories how early Motown album covers would use other images than that of the artist but by 1966 why would they do this? This cover always annoyed me. Just a little vent...and is this the correct line-up for that time? This Old Heart Of Mine is one of my favorites.

Name:  isley bros2.jpg
Views: 2826
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  isley bros2a.jpg
Views: 7589
Size:  81.0 KB

Maybe more suitable.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 02-21-2017 at 03:28 PM.

For the Isleys in particular, I read in the liner notes of the complete Motown singles vol:11 it was because there was a lack of photos of them since they were newly signed to Motown.

biggestfourtops fan, I smell bull. Motown could have chosen any photo they wanted. Instead, they go with this whitewashed cover because there were no photos of the group? Sounds like some guardian of Motown's legacy is being disingenuous in the liner notes you read. It was a blatant case of trying to appeal to middle, White America, plain and simple. This has always mystified me, since Motown had used its Black artists on covers often before this release.

Truth is the Isleys Brothers were already a well known act by 1966. By 1966, they had already had several big nation hits like "Shout", "Twist & Shout" etc. They had appeared on national television several times as well. Why Motown did this, I really can't say. Even the picture used on the mock cover above is from the 1950s!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-21-2017 at 08:39 AM.

We'd have to ask whoever designed the This Old Heart Of Mine LP why they chose to put a picture of a white couple on the cover. And as others have said on this post, I don't buy that the excuse that Motown didn't have any pictures of The Isleys on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    We'd have to ask whoever designed the This Old Heart Of Mine LP why they chose to put a picture of a white couple on the cover. And as others have said on this post, I don't buy that the excuse that Motown didn't have any pictures of The Isleys on hand.
    They probably were friends or relatives of the designer.

That's why I had asked if it was the correct line-up because I wasn't that familiar with them except for the song during that time frame. It may help to actually read before spewing your condescending remarks but I would expect no less from the cynical Marv.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 02-21-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Many album covers including The Supremes were released prior to this with the artists on the cover. As far as a lack of photo's of The Isleys that could have been easily rectified. Just another Motown mystery or simply a bad decision.

Don't get too mad at berry,others were still using white faces on black albums in the mid-sixties too...bobby herb[sunny-1966]is one example.

I've always wondered about this myself.

If I'm not mistaken, by the time the Isleys were signed in 1966, Motown acts were routinely being given the glamor treatment at Kriegsman Studios for 8x10 glossy pub shots. Granted, these weren't used on album covers. I suppose Kriegsman held the copyright or something. Still, I have no recollection of even seeing any Kriegsman shots of the Isleys, which is strange, because virtually every other Hitsville act was posed and shot.

Not to be unkind, but the trio, for all its talent, was not very photogenic. By that time, Rudy and O'Kelly had packed on a lot of weight and maybe it was felt that this unglamorous image might hinder sales, but to use a stock photo of a white "California couple," is confounding, to say the very least, since it in no way relates to the music. Maybe for a Jan & Dean album cover, but for the Isley Brothers? I guess, as has been mentioned, it must have been an attempt to pander to white audiences, but if so, it was pretty damned lame.

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    For the Isleys in particular, I read in the liner notes of the complete Motown singles vol:11 it was because there was a lack of photos of them since they were newly signed to Motown.
    I don't think it was because of a "lack of photos" because I just took mine out of the frame and there is a picture of the 3 of them in a 6" x 6" heart shaped frame. It is not in color though, it is black and white.

There is no indication who designed the cover picture of the album. I would guess Bernie Yeszin. An Ed Aaronoff wrote the bylines for the back of the cover. I googled Ed Aaronoff and discovered that Jet Magazine in April of 1966 reported that he was Publicity Director for Motown Records.
    Last edited by woodward; 02-21-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Still, I have no recollection of even seeing any Kriegsman shots of the Isleys, which is strange, because virtually every other Hitsville act was posed and shot.
    Name:  zz16683833_1791173147575060_8137067615787562796_n.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  31.2 KB

Although, I believe this was shot outside their short Motown tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    biggestfourtops fan, I smell bull. Motown could have chosen any photo they wanted. Instead, they go with this whitewashed cover because there were no photos of the group? Sounds like some guardian of Motown's legacy is being disingenuous in the liner notes you read. It was a blatant case of trying to appeal to middle, White America, plain and simple. This has always mystified me, since Motown had used its Black artists on covers often before this release.
    I don't like the cover either. Remember the movie THE FIVE HEARTBEATS, this scenario was used. They had an album out and the cover had a white couple inside a large heart.

Well...
    I think we shouldn't try and find too many explanations as to why there are two blind lovers on the cover of that specific album.

Who has never bought a record because the cover was quite... appealing? The beach scene is sexier than any Isley Bros picture for sure. And not because of a so called overweight. Wasn't there an Otis Redding album with a woman on the cover? And what about San Remo Golden Strings HUNGRY FOR LOVE love from the same period? Or the TEMPTATIONS "With A Lot O Soul" lp?
    As for the doubtful taste of Motown in Detroit, what about Tamla Motown putting a woman as the cover art for Marv Johnson's UK lp?
    And not forgetting the Motown Disco or the reissue of Motown Instrumentals collections in the 70s, even though all the tracks included weren't by female artists - in fact all tracks were by male artists or groups for Motown Instrumentals...
    One thing is sure, this album encourages debate and discussion. Isn't it a simple way to get people aware it's out, and make them think about maybe buying it?
    And remember, it's what's in the groove that counts!
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by jbpintus View Post
    Well...
    I think we shouldn't try and find too many explanations as to why there are two blind lovers on the cover of that specific album.

Who has never bought a record because the cover was quite... appealing? The beach scene is sexier than any Isley Bros picture for sure. And not because of a so called overweight. Wasn't there an Otis Redding album with a woman on the cover? And what about San Remo Golden Strings HUNGRY FOR LOVE love from the same period? Or the TEMPTATIONS "With A Lot O Soul" lp?
    As for the doubtful taste of Motown in Detroit, what about Tamla Motown putting a woman as the cover art for Marv Johnson's UK lp?
    And not forgetting the Motown Disco or the reissue of Motown Instrumentals collections in the 70s, even though all the tracks included weren't by female artists - in fact all tracks were by male artists or groups for Motown Instrumentals...
    One thing is sure, this album encourages debate and discussion. Isn't it a simple way to get people aware it's out, and make them think about maybe buying it?
    And remember, it's what's in the groove that counts!
    JB
    I agree we need more debate and discussion on the Isley Brothers. They never seem to get the attention that they deserve. They produced some great songs in my opinion and it is unfortunate they did not reach the fame that they should have gotten.

Happened to The Elgins too - not forgetting another awful cover on an Isley Brothers album....Name:  4542654979_228f01e077_b.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  92.8 KB

Yea, I like that one! It at least makes sense... with the woman [[presumably Marv's Rose) and the rose flower

Name:  IMG_5907.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  72.1 KB

Or the TEMPTATIONS "With A Lot O Soul" lp?
    Yeah, I don't get that one...

Name:  IMG_5908.JPG
Views: 1575
Size:  80.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Yea, I like that one! It at least makes sense... with the woman [[presumably Marv's Rose) and the rose flower

Name:  IMG_5907.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  72.1 KB
    Since you mention that, the Isley Brothers' second Tamla album follows the
    same pattern:
    Name:  zzzq275.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  53.7 KB

The Miracles MICKEY'S MONKEY isn't too flattering either.

"Soul On The Rocks" is fine as that's the Isleys on the cover. But......oops they did it [[yet) again.Name:  thing.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  70.7 KB

In respectful response to jbpintus: I stand firm in saying that no, this cover choice was not a simple matter of happenstance. It strikes me as the same kind of cynical, capitalistic erasure of Blackness that had held sway in the American pop culture machine for decades in the name of the almighty dollar. The constant refrain was [[and is to this day) that "Black faces don't sell product." Even more galling is the fact that Motown was a majority Black-owned-operated-and-founded company making these kinds of decisions.

As to your comment about the relative [[lack of) sex appeal of the Isleys, that's a matter of opinion. IMHO, they were a great-looking group of guys that many women AND men found plenty alluring.

With that being said, I do agree with you that vigorous, respectful debate is healthy and welcomed. All the best!
    Last edited by sansradio; 02-21-2017 at 09:10 PM.

In respectful response to jbpintus: I stand firm in saying that no, this cover choice was not a simple matter of happenstance. It strikes me as the same kind of cynical, capitalistic erasure of Blackness that had held sway in the American pop culture machine for decades in the name of the almighty dollar. The constant refrain was [[and is to this day) that "Black faces don't sell product." Even more galling is the fact that Motown was a majority Black-owned-operated-and-founded company making these kinds of decisions.

As to your comment about the relative [[lack of) sex appeal of the Isleys, that's a matter of opinion. IMHO, they were a great-looking group of guys that many women AND men found plenty alluring.

With that being said, I do agree with you that vigorous, respectful debate is healthy and welcomed. All the best!
    MTV's rationale for not airing music videos by Black artists was that it would scare "Middle America":

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    I had read the ridiculous stories how early Motown album covers would use other images than that of the artist but by 1966 why would they do this?
    It's one of the anomolies of Motown [[and other labels)- and it continued for a much longer period. Case in point: Jr. Walker with the All Stars and as a solo artist- 1965-1978 on the Soul label. Seventeen albums issued in the U.S.; 8 have Jr. on the front cover, 9 do not.

In 1979, Motown would not use a picture of Teena Marie on front cover her debut album because it was marketed to a R&B audience:

Attachment 12612

It strikes me as the same kind of cynical, capitalistic erasure of Blackness that had held sway in the American pop culture machine for decades in the name of the almighty dollar. The constant refrain was [[and is to this day) that "Black faces don't sell product." Even more galling is the fact that Motown was a majority Black-owned-operated-and-founded company making these kinds of decisions.
    I totally agree with you. For years and years this was the practice, esp. in the pop market.

And on unequivocally "black" music, even then there were other unreachable standards that supposedly legitimated all sorts of debauchery. For instance, there are many covers of Ella Fitzgerald's albums where she was "creatively" [[and in some cases not so creatively) "thinned" down to appeal to the eye of white America. "Ella Swings Lightly" comes to mind immediately but there are many others. Several of Billie Holiday's Verve Records had white women on the cover. Norman Granz was a pioneer in his day for promoting racial equality, but even he admitted in a book I read that such covers "just sold better".

Some very good points made. Just a very strange practice. Another one:

Name:  percy.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  43.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post

I agree we need more debate and discussion on the Isley Brothers. They never seem to get the attention that they deserve. They produced some great songs in my opinion and it is unfortunate they did not reach the fame that they should have gotten.
    Here in the UK the Isleys Motown stuff is perhaps more fondly remembered than their T-Neck material. They had some major UK hits that are still played regularly on radio 2 and oldies stations. This Old Heart made no.3, Behind a painted smile made no.5, whilst I Guess i'll always love you made no.11, and Put Yourself in my place made no.13. I love all era's of their timeless music, but i will always have a soft spot for their Motown stuff , and the vaulted material is pretty good too.

I had always heard that 1960's album covers that featured a black artist had placement trouble. Many record stores wouldn't put them out for display but would leave them in the bins. In order to grab more sales, the covers became generic so they could get featured shelf space. Once an act got big enough, I imagine it wouldn't matter because the name of the artist would sell it. Knowing that I always had to go to the back of the store and dig through bins to find the records I was looking for made this a credible scenario for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I had always heard that 1960's album covers that featured a black artist had placement trouble. Many record stores wouldn't put them out for display but would leave them in the bins. In order to grab more sales, the covers became generic so they could get featured shelf space. Once an act got big enough, I imagine it wouldn't matter because the name of the artist would sell it. Knowing that I always had to go to the back of the store and dig through bins to find the records I was looking for made this a credible scenario for me.
    Thank God for the many black neighborhood record shops we never had that trouble.

Otis Redding, "Otis Blue / Otis Redding Sings Soul", 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    Otis Redding, "Otis Blue / Otis Redding Sings Soul", 1965

Only thing that relating to Otis singing the blues on that cover is the color blue.

They issued a number of Rare Earth albums without the group being pictured on the front cover. Remember the Supremes "Produced by Jimmy Webb" cover?

Stevie Wonder has been the biggest Motown act in the 70s. His name only would sell records. He couldn't be seen as being black on his albums artworks from 1973 to 1984 included :
    INNERVISIONS
    FULLFILLINGNESS FIRST FINALE
    SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIKE
    THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS
    ORIGINAL MUSIQUARIUM I
    THE WOMAN IN RED

One exception : HOTTER THAN JULY

He's been pictured and could be recognized as being a black artist on each and every one of his previous albums front artwork [[16 albums if I count well) but for only 4 :
    WITH A SONG IN MY HEART
    UP TIGHT
    GREATEST HITS
    ALFIE - EIVETS REDNOW

So, the policy not to show black artists didn't seem to fit him huh?
    Last edited by jbpintus; 02-23-2017 at 05:20 PM.

Stevie Wonder has been the biggest Motown act in the 70s. His name only would sell records. He couldn't be seen as being black on his albums artworks from 1973 to 1984 included :
    INNERVISIONS
    SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIKE
    ORIGINAL MUSIQUARIUM I
    THE WOMAN IN RED

He's been pictured and could be recognized as being a black artist on each and every one of his previous albums front artwork [[16 albums if I count well) but for only 4 :
    WITH A SONG IN MY HEART
    UP TIGHT
    GREATEST HITS
    ALFIE - EIVETS REDNOW

I would argue that Innervisions, Fulfillingness First Finale and Songs In The Key of Life do show Stevie on the covers, in drawings not photos.

INNERVISIONS
    SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIKE
    ORIGINAL MUSIQUARIUM I
    THE WOMAN IN RED

WITH A SONG IN MY HEART
    UP TIGHT
    GREATEST HITS
    ALFIE - EIVETS REDNOW

Unless you're intentionally being provocative, it would seem that you've missed the point. For starters, between '73 and '84, Stevie was the captain of his ship where his album cover art was concerned; his groundbreaking "independence" contract no doubt stipulated that he and his team, not the label, made all final decisions concerning what was depicted on his covers. Second, Eivets Rednow intentionally had no depiction of him on the cover because it was marketed as a "mystery artist" album. Third and most salient, Stevie's cover choices from '73 to '84 appeared in an American post-Black-is-beautiful cultural context light years away from 1966, when Motown found it commercially viable to place a random White couple on an Isley Brothers album cover [[Gene Wilder and Kelly Le Brock on the cover of The Woman in Red soundtrack notwithstanding, since they were the stars of the film and, as such, arguably BELONGED on the cover).

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I would argue that Innervisions, Fulfillingness First Finale and Songs In The Key of Life do show Stevie on the covers, in drawings not photos.
    Precisely. Likewise With a Song in My Heart and Uptight, which, to these eyes, show Stevie as clearly Black.