[REMOVE ADS]

An Evening with Diana Ross - 1977 NBC Broadcast

I managed to find a version of this special which made it easy for me to enhance the picture and especially the sound quality. Such a shame this still has not been released on DVD. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os5cAIMjBZI

My all time favorite Diana Ross TV special. Loved it back when it first aired. It was so exciting going to school the next day and everybody was talking about it. This was groundbreaking at the time. First time in history that a 90 minute prime time special was given to anyone by a major television network.

I watched a bit of it

It seems like everything is so much more of a spectacle these days and this show was just more about the music

I remember seeing this show, a month after I had seen Diana in concert. Because it was a Sunday, I had to get permission to stay up past my bedtime. I miss tv specials like this. Now they just seem to tape an artist in concert and that's it.

Thanks for the link, wonderful to see this again. Will we ever see an official DVD.

This was a Great show thank u mortifer_c

yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Thanks for the link, wonderful to see this again. Will we ever see an official DVD.
    It is most unlikely according to Diana sophisticated soul. I recently spent 3 very enjoyable days interviewing Diana for a book i have been researching for many years. I asked the question about the TV specials, and whilst i would say never say never i think the legal aspects are too complex. In the meantime we have this to enjoy thanks to mortifer. Much respect due my friend.

I'm not surprised, but it’s still disappointing official releases are unlikely. C'est la vie. At least in this internet era they are able to be seen and enjoyed. Bootlegs/home tapings are another source. Most of the TV specials I taped [[VCR) at the time, and later transferred to DVD. They're not the absolute best quality but they are still very enjoyable and I’m grateful to have them.

How very awesome that you were able to spend so much time interviewing Miss Ross! Is there anything else you can share from the interview at this time? Is your book a memoir?

I'm not surprised, but it’s still disappointing official releases are unlikely. C'est la vie. At least in this internet era they are able to be seen and enjoyed. Bootlegs/home tapings are another source. Most of the TV specials I taped [[VCR) at the time, and later transferred to DVD. They're not the absolute best quality but they are still very enjoyable and I’m grateful to have them.

How very awesome that you were able to spend so much time interviewing Miss Ross! Is there anything else you can share from the interview at this time? Is your book a memoir?
    Iam not entirely sure what format it will take. At the moment i have provisional plans to write a book of my time working with Diana [[1988-2000), but i am not certain there will be sufficient interest, and my other idea is to write a book about my experiences working with various celebrities between 1982 and 2009. Of the many celebrities i encountered Diana remains my absolute favourite, but i honestly do not know how i will proceed. I have interviewed all surviving Supremes with the exception of Cindy and Jean, but i have interviewed a very close friend of Cindy , and it looks like Jean is about to relent after many years of trying. I am also due to interview Mary Wilson in June 2017 which will be my 3rd interview with her in the past 18 months. It is all up in the air at the moment and i thank you for your interest, and also ask for your patience in this complex matter.

I will buy any book you write my dear friend.

Roberta xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I will buy any book you write my dear friend.

Roberta xxx
    I know i can count on you in every capacity Roberta. That is why i love and cherish your friendship past, present and future xx

Judging from your posts I think you could write a very interesting book. Your experiences, objectivity and fairness, and your way with words are all quite impressive. But yes, take your time, do it right. I'll be patient. I am sure it will be worth the wait. Good luck.

this was my favorite DR era, the 70's. she could belt out a song and rock it better than any other.
    I have the soundtrack album but I have had a hard time to get into it . I am not into a lot of broadway style songs. it was to many for my taste.
    I also didn't like how some songs were rushed. touch Me in The Morning was 1.50 seconds.what was up with that? even One Love In My Lifetime seems quick but I LOVE hearing it here. a favorite and great song. it sounds as if they cut a verse out???darn. but she belts it out and is in fine voice here. just want more original DR songs.

love how Diana played all three lades in this .this was a great show. thanks for posting. why is this not on dvd?

you're all very welcome! I have to say this is my favourite TV special of hers. I love the long Supremes segment and the Motown Ballet. And I think Diana looks beautiful also without wearing one of those huge wigs. I just wish she would have sung "Love Hangover" live instead of lip syncing it. Gil's live arrangement was really funky.

It's a shame that it seems so difficult to get Diana's DVDs out on the market. This was the last special that was produced by "Motown Productions" which later became De Passe Entertainment. I wonder if they still own the rights for this and the 1971 Diana! special. The 1979 and 1981 specials were produced by Diana herself so I don't if it's up to her if they are released.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I have the soundtrack album but I have had a hard time to get into it . I am not into a lot of broadway style songs. it was to many for my taste.
    I also didn't like how some songs were rushed. touch Me in The Morning was 1.50 seconds.what was up with that? even One Love In My Lifetime seems quick but I LOVE hearing it here. a favorite and great song. it sounds as if they cut a verse out???darn. but she belts it out and is in fine voice here. just want more original DR songs.
    I understand your criticism although it's only fair to say that "An Evening with Diana Ross" was actually a Broadway show so I guess that's exactly what many of the Broadway audiences wanted to see. The actual stage show was about 70 minutes I guess so I think there would have been some more time to also include more of her own songs. It changed with the tour that followed in 1979 where she sang quite a few of her own numbers.

I love the Motown medley on the album though. And Gil Askey did an awfully good job on the orchestrations, they are amazing!
    Last edited by mortifer_c; 02-15-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Judging from your posts I think you could write a very interesting book. Your experiences, objectivity and fairness, and your way with words are all quite impressive. But yes, take your time, do it right. I'll be patient. I am sure it will be worth the wait. Good luck.
    Thank you so much my friend. I shall do my best and hope for the best!

Kudos to you, mortifer_c, and welcome to the Forum! I've long wanted to see a cleaner copy of this.

And Bluebrock, add me to the list of those who'll read your book with bells on.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Kudos to you, mortifer_c, and welcome to the Forum! I've long wanted to see a cleaner copy of this.

And Bluebrock, add me to the list of those who'll read your book with bells on.
    Much respect heading your way sansradio and mortifer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Iam not entirely sure what format it will take. At the moment i have provisional plans to write a book of my time working with Diana [[1988-2000), but i am not certain there will be sufficient interest, and my other idea is to write a book about my experiences working with various celebrities between 1982 and 2009. Of the many celebrities i encountered Diana remains my absolute favourite, but i honestly do not know how i will proceed. I have interviewed all surviving Supremes with the exception of Cindy and Jean, but i have interviewed a very close friend of Cindy , and it looks like Jean is about to relent after many years of trying. I am also due to interview Mary Wilson in June 2017 which will be my 3rd interview with her in the past 18 months. It is all up in the air at the moment and i thank you for your interest, and also ask for your patience in this complex matter.
    Bluerock, do you mind if I ask: "Are these interviews in person or over the telephone... or a combination or both?"

Bluebrock, first good luck with your book. wishing you all the best. count me in for a copy of your book. personally I have always wanted Diana to write about her music. I think that would be good to hear her opinions on the songs and the albums.
    I think the vocal here on this tape is different than the lp. I like this vocal better.
    why is it so difficult to get DR dvds. we get elvis, MJ,Striesand, etc but no DR.just don't get it unless someone is being greety

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    Bluerock, do you mind if I ask: "Are these interviews in person or over the telephone... or a combination or both?"
    They were in person Greg, and took place early last month.