[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes on Flip Wilson 1971 - all three lead

Quite enjoyed this performance of Love The One You're With, but then I like it by anybody! Jean, Mary and Cindy all get a shot on lead

I Love The Supremes Mary Cindy and Jean's performance here,they sound great,and they looked Beautiful too.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 02-13-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I Love The Supremes Mary Cindy and Jean's performance here,they sound great,and they looked Beautiful too.
    Love this performance but the one performance I would love to see is Merv Griffin the JMC performed "Floy JOY" when all three sang lead. I have the audio but would love to see the video.

Great performance. All three were very uh, sexy! LOL!

I enjoyed that Soulwally

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    Love this performance but the one performance I would love to see is Merv Griffin the JMC performed "Floy JOY" when all three sang lead. I have the audio but would love to see the video.
    I would love to see that too rod, but i think someone [[maybe Marv?) said the performance had been wiped. Over here in the UK my friend is still searching the BBC archives for the performance of NATHAN JONES from the Cilla Black show, and also a performance of AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE with the JMLl ine up from another show, the name of which i cannot recall. I put it down to an age thing! Great performance of LTOYW here by the way soulwally. Thanks for posting.

Cool,but look at that square audience,looks like a bunch of stuffy business men on leave.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Cool,but look at that square audience,looks like a bunch of stuffy business men on leave.

That's how it was back then. They were the types that got the tickets to the tapings first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I would love to see that too rod, but i think someone [[maybe Marv?) said the performance had been wiped. Over here in the UK my friend is still searching the BBC archives for the performance of NATHAN JONES from the Cilla Black show, and also a performance of AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE with the JMLl ine up from another show, the name of which i cannot recall. I put it down to an age thing! Great performance of LTOYW here by the way soulwally. Thanks for posting.
    I never said that. Merv Griffin didn't wipe his stuff. In fact, they have been releasing his old shows on DVD in recent years. Same with Dick Cavitt. Some of Cavitt 's shows [[who was my somewhat my neighbor on Eastern LI) survived. Johnny Carson's shows are surfacing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I never said that. Merv Griffin didn't wipe his stuff. In fact, they have been releasing his old shows on DVD in recent years. Same with Dick Cavitt. Some of Cavitt 's shows [[who was my somewhat my neighbor on Eastern LI) survived. Johnny Carson's shows are surfacing as well.
    That is good to hear. so maybe the FLOY JOY performance.
    may surface at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    That is good to hear. so maybe the FLOY JOY performance.
    may surface at some point
    You have to find the source or clearing house and write to these people.

Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas' libraries are intact. The early Carson shows from 1962-1972 were erased. It should be noted the Motown tape archives may have copies of the ladies appearances from those years. Someone posted a very rough copy of the May 1967 appearance on YouTube and there is audio of the April 1968 appearance and the 1971 appearance where they did "Nathan Jones." There was also a photo from the '71 appearance. I believe Joe Namath guest hosted.

Missing Tonight Show appearances:
    July 1965 - Most likely promoting their Copa engagement
    August 1966 - Probably performed "You Can't Hurry Love"
    March 1969 - No clue what they performed..."I'm Livin' In Shame?" Maybe previewed "The Composer?"
    November 1969 - Performed "The Lady Is A Tramp" and promoted GIT

A screenshot from their 1971 Tonight Show appearance
    Name:  Tonight Show 71.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  13.5 KB

I've always loved this performance, and the gowns. I've also seen a pic of Mary, Scherrie, and Cindy in these gowns. They wore the lavender tops with black pants on a couple shows in '75. I think this performance was a great of how much the group had developed in a short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas' libraries are intact. The early Carson shows from 1962-1972 were erased. It should be noted the Motown tape archives may have copies of the ladies appearances from those years. Someone posted a very rough copy of the May 1967 appearance on YouTube and there is audio of the April 1968 appearance and the 1971 appearance where they did "Nathan Jones." There was also a photo from the '71 appearance. I believe Joe Namath guest hosted.

Missing Tonight Show appearances:
    July 1965 - Most likely promoting their Copa engagement
    August 1966 - Probably performed "You Can't Hurry Love"
    March 1969 - No clue what they performed..."I'm Livin' In Shame?" Maybe previewed "The Composer?"
    November 1969 - Performed "The Lady Is A Tramp" and promoted GIT

A screenshot from their 1971 Tonight Show appearance
    Name:  Tonight Show 71.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  13.5 KB
    Thanks Brad.

You have to find the source or clearing house and write to these people.
    I know that Marv. It is a very complex process which i have been working on for around 3 years, but i will not give up easily.

bluebrock, I may have misunderstood, did you mention that the supremes did perform AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE in UK. I don't think they ever perform it here. perhaps they were rehearsing Lunda Lawrence and touring UK at the time. have to admit AS is one of my favorites from the early 70s

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    bluebrock, I may have misunderstood, did you mention that the supremes did perform AUTOMATICALLY SUNSHINE in UK. I don't think they ever perform it here. perhaps they were rehearsing Lunda Lawrence and touring UK at the time. have to admit AS is one of my favorites from the early 70s
    Yes they did David. It was JML who appeared on a UK variety show. It wasn't TOP OF THE POPS because the song had already peaked when they toured. I think it was one of the teatime shows that were shown in the 4pm-6pm timeslot. I only caught it by accident, and i was a little young to fully appreciate it, but i recall it because i really liked the song and always prefered it to FLOY JOY which never really did it for me. My friend also remembers it which is why i know i am not dreaming the whole episode!!

yeah I like Automatically Sunshine better than FJ. overall good album. I think a little more exposure it may have done better.

Can anyone get,a video copy of The Supremes Mary Wilson Jean Terrell and Lynda Laurence, on The Dick Cavett Show,singing 60s Supremes medley and Tossin' and Turnin' ? They were great.

i think if Cindy hadn't left, AS would have done better in the states. i wonder if they pulled back on public and tv appearances and so the promotion of the song was minimal. Also it's been stated that Jean was sick a lot in spring of 72. With AS not performing well, i think that really assisted in motown turning away from the group. probably thought "more personnel changes, songs only doing so-so on the charts, mary and jean are not getting along - too much baggage"

i don't know that the Sups appeared on the Dick Cavett show. here's a site with the full episode listing

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-dick-cavett-show/episodes/

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i don't know that the Sups appeared on the Dick Cavett show. here's a site with the full episode listing

I think that appearance where t hey sang Tossin and Turing was on Merv Griffin Show

The Supremes performed on The Dick Cavett Show on June 7, 1972. That link doesn't give all of Dick's guests.

This link is from the Dick Cavett Show website ... http://dickcavettshow.com/index.php/...The%20Supremes

nice! wonder what they sang? June 72 would have probably been too early to do Tossin' and Turnin' from Jimmy Webb.

nice! wonder what they sang? June 72 would have probably been too early to do Tossin' and Turnin' from Jimmy Webb.
    "Floy Joy" was their current album.

Exactly. yWSSL wasn't released until July. Their Sonny and Cher performance wasn't until Sept. Flip Wilson performance was Oct.

I'm still wondering if they appeared. Maybe they did AS?

Love the One Your With was the busiest damn performance I have seen. Too many sequins alone with non-stop dancing and smiling and mediocre vocals sung without feeling or soul. Dizzy making ...... IMHO

The Supremes appearance on the Carson show in early 1969, they did Love Child and Somewhere. Bill Cosby was the host.

For Cavitt, they did the 60s medley, an interview where Mary said the group had just an lp with Jimmy Webb and they did do Tossin and Turnin.

Thanks Rick!! Interesting that they were pre promoting the lp!

Ironically during the interview Dick Cavett asked the ladies what if someone "eats a bad clam" and can't make a show to which Mary covered quickly. This was just before the Copa debacle

Come to think of it, and I don't have the audio anymore, they may have just opened at the Copa when they did Cavett. His show was in NYC at the time

What was the matter w jean that caused her to miss the Hawaii date and part of Copa?

That was always a big mystery. It did leak out that she was on medication for high blood pressure. Jean was going through a break up at the time and there were tensions within the group and between the group and Motown.

Was there all that much tension prior to cindys departure? I know there was between the girls and Motown. But had the stresses already started between m and j? I thought things were relatively ok until more into 72