[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    I am sure this is about sales but I couldn't get past Janet Jackson.
    I totally agree. How can someone with such a poor voice sell all those records. Her live performances were lip synched and she quite simply refused to sing live for the simple reason that she was not capable. I worked with her on one of her first visits to the UK, She "performed" lets wait a while on top of the pops and kept fluffing it even though she was miming to the song. It took her over 5 hours to do it to a satisfactory standard. I could not believe how unprepared and unprofessional she was. She was a pleasant enough person albeit rather distant , but i could not respect someone with zero musical talent. I am still astounded by her great success, but not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Got me thinking . In no order I'd say...Knight, W Houston, T Houston, Streisand, Aretha, Patti, Dusty, Dionne, C Dion, B Holiday, J Holiday, Janis, j Hudson. I'm sure I may change this in future!
    I would say Anita Baker belongs here too. She may be an absolute bitch but there is no denying her awesome musical talent. I would also include Mavis Staples and Regina Belle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I would say Anita Baker belongs here too. She may be an absolute bitch but there is no denying her awesome musical talent. I would also include Mavis Staples and Regina Belle.
    And how could we forget the wonderful Sarah Vaughan, and the magnificent Patti Austin who have to be up there with the very best, and two personal left field favourites of mine Ms Millie Jackson and the woefully underrated Randy Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    And how could we forget the wonderful Sarah Vaughan, and the magnificent Patti Austin who have to be up there with the very best, and two personal left field favourites of mine Ms Millie Jackson and the woefully underrated Randy Crawford.
    Oh, my God, yes for Patti Austin!!!! Such a magnificent instrument she has. She's one of those artists who sound "better than the record" live. So versatile as well...can sing the phone book...and has [[I'm thinking of her massive jingles career in the 70s and 80s)! As a matter of fact, I co-sign all the ladies you mentioned!
    Last edited by sansradio; 02-23-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Oh, my God, yes for Patti Austin!!!! Such a magnificent instrument she has. She's one of those artists who sound "better than the record" live. So versatile as well...can sing the phone book...and has [[I'm thinking of her massive jingles career in the 70s and 80s)! As a matter of fact, I co-sign all the ladies you mentioned!
    Thank you sansradio! Patti Austin is just the best.I remember buying her CTI albums "end of the rainbow1"and "havana candy" in the 70's. The diction and clarity of that voice just mesmerised me. I have bought everything she has recorded and as you rightly say her live performances are even better than the studio recording . She also happens to be one of the funniest people i have ever met. Sorry for going off topic here but Patti is just the best!