[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Adele stops Grammy performance,curses and starts over

What do you think? She is getting praised for starting over and apologized for cursing. She did give a stunning performance of the George Michael song Fastlove, granted... but if every live performance that wasnt perfect was started over I think it would get chaotic. She needs to curb her behavior IMO

I think she is extremely overrated! I don't believe Adele can sing that well live. Someone said she was on tour in America last year. Did anyone go see her?

Whitney Houston [[Rest her soul), may have had some major issues towards the end of her 25 year career, but on the big nights like the Grammy's she always delivered! She never let technical problems or anything stop her from turning in a bombastic performance. We lost her 5 years ago as of yesterday and seeing the crap on the Grammys made miss her all the more.

Well I saw her in September in Detroit & she was fantastic!

I was thinking similar Marv. Adele wanted to also stop her Grammy performance last year and regretted she didn't. People like Whitney at her peak, Gladys, Celine..get out there and sing and there isn't all this drama.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I was thinking similar Marv. Adele wanted to also stop her Grammy performance last year and regretted she didn't. People like Whitney at her peak, Gladys, Celine..get out there and sing and there isn't all this drama.
    This is the second time Adele has had problems at the Grammy's. She couldn't hear the music and last year a microphone fell on the piano strings and it was out of tune. Last year she soldiered on and got criticized for it while this year she said no. I don't blame her. Frankly, that is what Mariah should have done on New Year's Eve!

She was not the only act that had sound trouble last night. Metalicca & Lady Gaga was marred by them - you couldn't even hear James Hetfield singing for the entire beginning of the song. Others had their mike's go in and out.

Gladys, Celine, Aretha, Patti etc are the types that even if their bras fell off ,they would just go on and sing and give you the greatest performance possible! Every year they would have Whitney to either open those big shows or a strategic solo somewhere in the middle and she'd always knock it out of park! You felt satisfied for taking the time to watch the show. Aretha was still doing just like that at the Kennedy Center last year.

Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Where did she play in Detroit. Do you know if she also played NYC?

SNL showed an old show Saturday eve and Whitney was musical guest and was just great singing I'm Your Baby tonight. It was live and she didnt stop the show or curse !

SNL showed an old show Saturday eve and Whitney was musical guest and was just great singing I'm Your Baby tonight. It was live and she didnt stop the show or curse !
    Check this out. This was Whitney's first major national television appearance. There were technical problems with the music not starting right, mics etc but watch how she handles it:

Well just goes to show how our[legends]could control situations and these[new folks]can't.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Well just goes to show how our[legends]could control situations and these[new folks]can't.
    I totally understand this younger generation is desperate to have their own great, iconic performers but they just don't stand up to the true greats!

Whitney Houston is the only performer in memory who could prompt that audience of jaded, seen-it-all professionals and industry insiders to stand for her entire prolonged performance of a ballad. Staggering to think about that now, but back then it didn't seem at all unusual.

I am thinking specifically about the Billboard Awards in 1990 or 1991 when she performed the "Loverman/My Man/All The Man That I Need" medley -- audience on its feet for the whole [[incredible) performance.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Gladys, Celine, Aretha, Patti etc are the types that even if their bras fell off ,they would just go on and sing and give you the greatest performance possible! Every year they would have Whitney to either open those big shows or a strategic solo somewhere in the middle and she'd always knock it out of park!
    I remember Whitney performing on the X Factor in 2009... her bra actually did fall off but she continued performing!!!

[[Ok I looked it up and it was her dress strap not her bra. But still. )

Adele's drama is annoying and possibly planned.

Wouldn't surprise me as she made such a big deal of how she should've done it last year

Hey check this out. I mean you have to see this to put things in prospective regarding what we had and what we have now!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Whitney Houston is the only performer in memory who could prompt that audience of jaded, seen-it-all professionals and industry insiders to stand for her entire prolonged performance of a ballad. Staggering to think about that now, but back then it didn't seem at all unusual.

I am thinking specifically about the Billboard Awards in 1990 or 1991 when she performed the "Loverman/My Man/All The Man That I Need" medley -- audience on its feet for the whole [[incredible) performance.
    I only had the pleasure of seeing Whitney in concert , in Cincinnati in 1991. She was amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I remember Whitney performing on the X Factor in 2009... her bra actually did fall off but she continued performing!!!

[[Ok I looked it up and it was her dress strap not her bra. But still. )
    She was, in a word.................Professional! All the great ones are like that. Something goes wrong on stage and they just keep going.

Wouldn't surprise me as she made such a big deal of how she should've done it last year
    It's becoming tiring. She is not on American television much at all. The last time I saw her was on last year's Grammy show. Both times left me unimpressed.

Adele sold out the Staples Center in LA for 10 night in a row and last night she made Grammy history. Shes probably one of thetop 3 singers on the planet right now.

http://www.etonline.com/awards/gramm..._2017_grammys/
    Last edited by Roberta75; 02-14-2017 at 12:20 AM.

https://spinditty.com/artists-bands/...rs-of-All-Time Speaking of Whitney! Not a bad list but Gladys, Dusty and Dionne belong on it.

https://spinditty.com/artists-bands/...rs-of-All-Time Speaking of Whitney! Not a bad list but Gladys, Dusty and Dionne belong on it.
    I was surprised that Gladys or Dionne were not on the list. Whitney is the run away winner.

Where did she play in Detroit. Do you know if she also played NYC?
    Marv, she played for two nights at the Palace of Auburn Hills right after Labor Day. She also played NYC at Madison Square Garden for 5 nights. I was eight rows from the front & I can tell you that there was no lip synching [[alluded to JLo, Brittney, & Mariah by people who had just come from Vegas & saw all 3 shows).
    I'm not sure what it is. Adele performing at the Grammys doesn't seem conducive to her.

I was surprised that Gladys or Dionne were not on the list. Whitney is the run away winner.
    I am sure this is about sales but I couldn't get past Janet Jackson.

I agree. At least they said she's not on the list because of her singing voice!

Got me thinking . In no order I'd say...Knight, W Houston, T Houston, Streisand, Aretha, Patti, Dusty, Dionne, C Dion, B Holiday, J Holiday, Janis, j Hudson. I'm sure I may change this in future!

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    I am sure this is about sales but I couldn't get past Janet Jackson.
    Hello?!?!! Thank you! Before Diana? Unbelievable.

Marv, she played for two nights at the Palace of Auburn Hills right after Labor Day. She also played NYC at Madison Square Garden for 5 nights. I was eight rows from the front & I can tell you that there was no lip synching [[alluded to JLo, Brittney, & Mariah by people who had just come from Vegas & saw all 3 shows).
    I'm not sure what it is. Adele performing at the Grammys doesn't seem conducive to her.
    Peforming for the Grammys is the opportunity for people who are not already fans to see and hear you. She's gotten two chances and they just weren't that exciting.......to me.

I don't care how old you are or your particular tastes in music. This was the DIVA , the singer of our lifetimes..........................

Luke, thanks for bringing to the fore
    this magnificent performer ..... right up there, and indeed surpasses many! Moves me to tears every time !!

I think she is extremely overrated! I don't believe Adele can sing that well live. Someone said she was on tour in America last year. Did anyone go see her?

Whitney Houston [[Rest her soul), may have had some major issues towards the end of her 25 year career, but on the big nights like the Grammy's she always delivered! She never let technical problems or anything stop her from turning in a bombastic performance. We lost her 5 years ago as of yesterday and seeing the crap on the Grammys made miss her all the more.
    I agree with you Marv2. I've never understood the hype but the people seem to really love her. In fact, her tour last year earned over 168 million dollars. I know a few people who went. I was not interested at all.

Maybe it's the story of the sheeple adoring the latest thing...... as in latest soul sensation comes along, Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Joss Stone, Leona Lewis, Paloma Faith and now Adele..... there's a theme here..... or is it just me.... not saying any of them don't have talent, but the hype machine kicks in behind them and many of them never really paid their dues before getting a contract... I guess it's the lack of balance that gets me... but then nothing new here, it was the same in the 60s when soul and Motown songs were being covered in the U.K by all and sundry.... any way, listen to them in a supermarket near you...
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 02-14-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I agree with you Marv2. I've never understood the hype but the people seem to really love her. In fact, her tour last year earned over 168 million dollars. I know a few people who went. I was not interested at all.
    I am just being honest. I am probably saying what a lot of people believe. I have been listening to music all of my life. I have had the great opportunity to appreciate some of the greatest of all times. I never see Adele on American TV, which is probably part of my problem.
    I am not familiar with her at all. The song "Rolling into Deep" was all that I heard constantly on Long Island radio a few years back which caused me to label her a one hit wonder. I have not listen to any more of her music since.
    I believe they are hyping her to fill some type of void. If the industry thinks that she is filling the "Whitney" void, then they are crazy. I'm going to have to look for some performance videos of Adele, but I just don't have any interest in her either.

I know we're talking about Adele BUT.......you know who kicked ass at the Grammys?

THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Maybe it's the story of the sheeple adoring the latest thing...... as in latest soul sensation comes along, Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Joss Stone, Leona Lewis, Paloma Faith and now Adele..... there's a theme here..... or is it just me.... not saying any of them don't have talent, but the hype machine kicks in behind them and many of them never really paid their dues before getting a contract... I guess it's the lack of balance that gets me...
    MikeW! You said it much better than I could. You posted what I meant! It's like the flavor of the month. Initially, I did not think Beyonce would have staying power, but she has. This young guy Bruno Mars I can see being around for a good long while because of his raw talent.

We did not have Youtube or the internet when I was coming up listening to my favorite artists. With the technology available now, an unknown can become a "star" over night even without the backing of the big companies. Those that are chosen by the big companies to be promoted are hyped to the hilt and really are not that talented in my opinion.

I know we're talking about Adele BUT.......you know who kicked ass at the Grammys?

THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Time tore that shit up! LOL! You know why? Because they are talented, experienced and never stopped! Love their music!

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Luke, thanks for bringing to the fore
    this magnificent performer ..... right up there, and indeed surpasses many! Moves me to tears every time !!

I remember one day while I was in college. I was ironing my shirt and this song came on the radio. I froze. I listened. I got chills. Then not long after that, I saw her perform it on Saturday Night Live and I was blown away! She should have had a much bigger and varied career than she did.

Amen to that. I saw her and Loretta and Sheryl in the original cast of Dreamgirls and after she sang that song there was total silence for a minute and then a standing ovation for 5 minutes after we recovered!

Got me thinking . In no order I'd say...Knight, W Houston, T Houston, Streisand, Aretha, Patti, Dusty, Dionne, C Dion, B Holiday, J Holiday, Janis, j Hudson. I'm sure I may change this in future!
    Now that's is great female singers. Thanks Luke.

I am not familiar with her at all. The song "Rolling into Deep" was all that I heard constantly on Long Island radio a few years back which caused me to label her a one hit wonder. I have not listen to any more of her music since.
    Wow, really? Here in the UK she seems pretty popular [[and successful). I have heard lots of her songs played on the radio. I don't really like them that much... most of them are just miserable and annoying [[hehe) but I can think of worse songs out there. I do like "Rolling In The Deep" however [[it is less miserable and annoying, lol) and so did Aretha as she covered it for her 2014 Great Diva Classics album! [[Please enjoy my random fact and corresponding video below )

WOW
    I hadn't listened to this in a while and did not realise the extent to which auto tune was [[badly) used. It's really noticeable, especially at the beginning, but does kinda get better as the song goes on. I think.

WOW
    I hadn't listened to this in a while and did not realise the extent to which auto tune was [[badly) used. It's really noticeable, especially at the beginning, but does kinda get better as the song goes on. I think.
    She does it better live:

Last edited by marv2; 02-14-2017 at 11:52 PM.

fugetabouti!

I found a clip of Adele on American TV:

fugetabouti!

we can end this debate right now,after the queen sings everybody else...sit down!!

You got that right tho no video there. Try this one of the Queen's. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkkMKOZHOcw

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    we can end this debate right now,after the queen sings everybody else...sit down!!
    You better know it!

You got that right tho no video there. Try this one of the Queen's. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pkkMKOZHOcw
    Luke it's an angel singing through thunder and lightning!

Even her album cuts were majestic! If you were around in 1976, you remember this:

I like Adele. What you see is what you get. There are no airs and graces about her. She is the same girl she was when i first met her around 2006. She may not be everyones cup of tea but i rate her. I could really go to town about the behaviour of some of the great divas mentioned in this thread but i shall refrain. Some of them gave me nightmares from which i shall never recover. I agree that many of todays stars do not match up but Adele is a one off. \A maverick. She sings and writes songs from the heart. They are personal and heartfelt, and she puts a great deal of emotion into her performances because she is singing about her life and her experiences. Iapplaud her.