[REMOVE ADS]

New Motown Documentary In The Works

It looks like Universal's Polygram TV & Film Production is being revived with a Motown documentary in the works. It will use material from Berry Gordy's personal archive. I'm a bit confused though. It says it will be the first Motown documentary to have participation from Berry Gordy. I thought he and dePasse were involved in the Motown 40 TV documentary back in 1998? This looks exciting though! I hope it's thorough and in-depth.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/univ...ds-1201985415/
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 02-11-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Great news. I am happy for any TV documentary on Motown. If Mr Gordy is involved then I am sure there will be something new.

I'm not a fan of Miss De Passe but she is at least more qualified than most people to be a part of the team.

I'm still waiting for the Marvin Gaye bio pic. Jesse L. Martin from LAW AND ORDER was supposed to play him. I get my hopes up for something then absolutely nothing happens. We'll see if this documentary happens or not happens. I did see a promo for the Marvin Gaye bio pic and it looked pretty good.
    Last edited by biggestfourtops fan; 02-12-2017 at 02:14 AM.

Wasn't there a planned documentary on Motown being worked on by Gordy and dePasse for the 50th Anniversary that fell apart? Maybe they're picking it up again?

At one time after the Marvin Gaye American Masters documentary on PBS aired, I was hoping they would continue with more artists. I had tried multiple times to get them to do one of the Supremes; but I realized it's not something they would move forward with especially if it didn't get approval from Ross and Gordy.

I remember NBC was planning a Motown miniseries back in 2004. It was suppose to be a 12-14 hour series, but other than the initial announcement, I never heard anything develop.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Wasn't there a planned documentary on Motown being worked on by Gordy and dePasse for the 50th Anniversary that fell apart? Maybe they're picking it up again?

At one time after the Marvin Gaye American Masters documentary on PBS aired, I was hoping they would continue with more artists. I had tried multiple times to get them to do one of the Supremes; but I realized it's not something they would move forward with especially if it didn't get approval from Ross and Gordy.

I remember NBC was planning a Motown miniseries back in 2004. It was suppose to be a 12-14 hour series, but other than the initial announcement, I never heard anything develop.
    Seems to be the way things work. Get the fans expectations raised then pull the rug out from under them.

Depasse does seem to get things done where others don't or can't

I wonder if due to age and time, there isn't a softening market for some of these projects

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    Seems to be the way things work. Get the fans expectations raised then pull the rug out from under them.
    They've been doing that since the 70s. There were all types of projects announced over the years that never happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M3s4qsVXLY

James Corden is teaming up with the production company Fulwell 73 to make a documentary about Motown Records. So far, Corden has asked Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, and the label’s found Berry Gordy to be in the documentary. The documentary is being directed by Gabe and Ben Turner, and according to an anonymous source Corden is very lucky Gordy said yes to speaking to his team. They stated, “He has turned down a lot of offers to make similar films in the past but has made an exception for this. It turns out he is a massive fav of James and regularly watches ‘The Late Late Show.’

Wayne
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1735972560001093/

The UK Times ran the story today.
    Supreme revival at Universal

Marcus Leroux
    February 13 2017, 12:01am, The Times

Berry Gordy, the man behind Motown, will be working with the new version of Polygram EntertainmentMICHAEL OCHS ARCHIVES//GETTY IMAGESShareSave

Universal Music Group is reviving Polygram Entertainment as part of a push into music documentaries. Its first project will be The Story of Motown, a documentary in collaboration with Berry Gordy, the producer and founder of the music label behind acts including The Supremes.
    Polygram’s forerunner was Polygram Filmed Entertainment, which was responsible for Trainspotting and Four Weddings and a Funeral .
    Polygram was bought by Seagram, the Canadian drinks company, in 1998 for $10 billion. Seagram folded Polygram into its Universal division before Vivendi, the present owner of Universal, bought it for $32 billion in 2000.
    Universal is also financing and producing Mystify, a film about Michael Hutchence, the lead singer of INXS. Jody Gerson, chief executive of Universal Music publishing group, said: “With Polygram, our multi-talented recording artists and songwriters will have even greater opportunities to work with the bery best storytellers, writers, producers and directors in film and television.”

No mention in that item, also no mention in this item of James Corden. I was kind of sceptical how it seems to be promoted that James Corden is somehow the driving force behind this project..... Berry only agreed because of his respect for James Corden?? Think not......

http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.co...e-tv-projects/

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    It looks like Universal's Polygram TV & Film Production is being revived with a Motown documentary in the works. It will use material from Berry Gordy's personal archive. I'm a bit confused though. It says it will be the first Motown documentary to have participation from Berry Gordy. I thought he and dePasse were involved in the Motown 40 TV documentary back in 1998? This looks exciting though! I hope it's thorough and in-depth.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/univ...ds-1201985415/
    If this comes off as planned [[and if it's well done), it's great news for Motown fans. We shall see.

Now also announced on classic.motown.com with a bit more details [[but no James Cordon).

http://classic.motown.com/story/the-...3b20c8fb33e2b9

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Now also announced on classic.motown.com with a bit more details [[but no James Cordon).

http://classic.motown.com/story/the-...3b20c8fb33e2b9
    Thanks for sharing the news. Looking forward to seeing the new Motown documentary next year [[and let's it does well enough to revive UMe's interest in releasing expanded/deluxe editions of Motown LP's from the '60s).