[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes - The Mike Douglas Show 1965

Now here's something I remember seeing when I was home from school sick. LOL! The Supremes on the Mike Douglas Show in 1965. They sing 3 or 4 songs:

Such a professional when she forgets the lyrics at the beginning of I Hear a Symphony. Smiling throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    Such a professional when she forgets the lyrics at the beginning of I Hear a Symphony. Smiling throughout.
    I remember when she was on tour in the UK back in the 90's. She attempted to perform her 1973 UK top 10 hit ALL OF MY LIFE. She just kind of made the lyrics up and held the microphone towards the adoring audience who happily filled in the missing words for her. It was one of those iconic moments that will stay with me forever. Some of the lyrics she improvised were very clever. Initially she thought the audience would be angry but if anything it merely endeared her to them even more. Happy memories. Thanks for reminding me with this great clip .

Now that's how to forget/muff the lyrics! I don't think most viewers even noticed...SO much to love about this clip - thanks for sharing!

This was when the show was out of Philadelphia after moving from Cleveland.

Sounds great but I can't watch it... YouTube has blocked this video on copyright grounds or something!?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Now here's something I remember seeing when I was home from school sick. LOL! The Supremes on the Mike Douglas Show in 1965. They sing 3 or 4 songs:

Thanks for sharing this clip. Even though Diana fluffs the intro of "I Hear A Symphony", they still carry it off like the pros that they are. I've seen "Back In My Arms Again" on the Reflections DVD but it's great to see all of the other songs [[as well as the interview) that they performed on The Mike Douglas Show in 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Thanks for sharing this clip. Even though Diana fluffs the intro of "I Hear A Symphony", they still carry it off like the pros that they are. I've seen "Back In My Arms Again" on the Reflections DVD but it's great to see all of the other songs [[as well as the interview) that they performed on The Mike Douglas Show in 1965.
    You're welcome Motown Eddie. They, as well as many Motown Artists appeared on the Mike Douglas Show throughout it's 21 year run.

You're welcome Motown Eddie. They, as well as many Motown Artists appeared on the Mike Douglas Show throughout it's 21 year run.
    Was this an afternoon show? I don't think we ever got it in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It started off coming on in the late mornings and then switched to the afternoons. I remember when Mary debut "Red Hot" on the show in 1979.

It started off coming on in the late mornings and then switched to the afternoons. I remember when Mary debut "Red Hot" on the show in 1979.
    Thank you for that Marv.

Yes you're right; a lot of Motown acts [[and other Rock & Soul Music greats) appeared on The Mike Douglas Show. I didn't watch the show at the time so I didn't know about it until a few years ago. Anyway, I found an article about the show [[and the artists he featured) at Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mike_Douglas_Show
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 02-11-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Yes you're right; a lot of Motown acts [[and other Rock & Soul Music greats) appeared on The Mike Douglas Show. I didn't watch the show at the time so I didn't know about it until a few years ago. Anyway, I found an article about the show [[and the artists he featured) at Wikipedia.

Motown Eddie, that list is not complete. There were many more acts that appeared on the Mike Douglas Show than what is listed there. For example here's a appearance by Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose :

Last edited by marv2; 02-11-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Yes you're right; a lot of Motown acts [[and other Rock & Soul Music greats) appeared on The Mike Douglas Show. I didn't watch the show at the time so I didn't know about it until a few years ago. Anyway, I found an article about the show [[and the artists he featured) at Wikipedi
    Thank you for that Motown Eddie. I shall take a peek later.

Think of it this way. The Mike Douglas Show aired Mon-Fri for 21 years. They had a musical guest on just about every day! His show easily rivaled Dick Clark's AB, Ed Sullivan and Soul Train for the number of musical guest artists appearing on the show. Mike had hundreds of well known and nearly well known musical acts on his show. Many like the Supremes, appeared many times over the years.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-11-2017 at 07:26 PM.

I remember when she was on tour in the UK back in the 90's. She attempted to perform her 1973 UK top 10 hit ALL OF MY LIFE. She just kind of made the lyrics up and held the microphone towards the adoring audience who happily filled in the missing words for her. It was one of those iconic moments that will stay with me forever. Some of the lyrics she improvised were very clever. Initially she thought the audience would be angry but if anything it merely endeared her to them even more. Happy memories. Thanks for reminding me with this great clip .
    Reminds me of the time when she sang I'm Still Waiting live at the Royal Albert Hall, in the early 70's, the audience were singing more correct words than Diana. It was as you say an "endearing" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Reminds me of the time when she sang I'm Still Waiting live at the Royal Albert Hall, in the early 70's, the audience were singing more correct words than Diana. It was as you say an "endearing" moment.
    She only ever performed ISW in the UK as it wasn't a sizeable hit elsewhere. By the late 80's she made it a staple of her UK gigs and mastered the lyrics perfectly!!

Motown Eddie, that list is not complete. There were many more acts that appeared on the Mike Douglas Show than what is listed there. For example here's a appearance by Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose :

Oh how i love this mighty fine tune! Any excuse to hear this gem is fine by me.

Think of it this way. The Mike Douglas Show aired Mon-Fri for 21 years. They had a musical guest on just about every day! His show easily rivaled Dick Clark's AB, Ed Sullivan and Soul Train for the number of musical guest artists appearing on the show. Mike had hundreds of well known and nearly well known musical acts on his show. Many like the Supremes, appeared many times over the years.
    I would like to think most of the musical performances are preserved unlike other shows where they were often wiped after transmission. The BBC wiped hundreds of episodes of TOP OF THE POPS thus depriving future generations the opportunity to see performances from some of the all time greats. So sad, but i guess back in the 60's and 70's they could not have possibly known about future technology which would have given people access to see these timeless performances again.

I would like to think most of the musical performances are preserved unlike other shows where they were often wiped after transmission. The BBC wiped hundreds of episodes of TOP OF THE POPS thus depriving future generations the opportunity to see performances from some of the all time greats. So sad, but i guess back in the 60's and 70's they could not have possibly known about future technology which would have given people access to see these timeless performances again.
    Well, Mike Douglas didn't wipe his stuff [[ok I don't like the way that sounds.....LOL). This another of his 60s shows.....from 1964 :

You will not find these two acts , along with hundreds more that are missing from the Wikipedia listing.

I see; the list from Wikipedia was only a partial list of the acts that Mike Douglas had on his show. In fact, there's more than enough stuff here for a series of DVD collections [[are you listening Time-Life?). Thanks for posting the Cornelius Bros. & Sister Rose clip. I'll always like "Too Late To Turn Back Now".

I see; the list from Wikipedia was only a partial list of the acts that Mike Douglas had on his show. In fact, there's more than enough stuff here for a series of DVD collections [[are you listening Time-Life?). Thanks for posting the Cornelius Bros. & Sister Rose clip. I'll always like "Too Late To Turn Back Now".
    Yes they don't list the Four Tops, Martha & The Vandellas, Temptations, Stevie Wonder, etc,etc all of whom appeared on the show multiple times over the years. I think I recall an effort to put together a DVD collection a few years back but they ran into an issue of getting all the proper clearances. EVeryone has appeared on Mike Douglas show. Just about anyone you may remember that made a record! LOL! Loved Mike Douglas may he rest in peace.

Here's Diana Ross on the show in 1972:

One of the Four Tops appearances on the show in 1967:

Well, Mike Douglas didn't wipe his stuff [[ok I don't like the way that sounds.....LOL). This another of his 60s shows.....from 1964 :

I would love the job of trawling through the archives to trace some more of these timeless performances. So glad that Mike Douglas did not wipe his stuff!!! This is another of my personal favourites. Thank you again for posting it.

The Mike Douglas Show has a tremendous amount of footage. I would bet greater than the Ed Sullivan Show[[Sofo co.), Hollywood Palace and Soul Train combined! Dick Clark Productions had a number of different shows that showcased popular music, so I would not include them.

Blocked in France

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Blocked in France
    Darn it! I don't know why they do that.

Miss Ross was every bit the big-star way back in 1965.

Bluerock, Yes it was an afternoon show primarily. The Mike Douglas Show was produced by Group W [[Westinghouse) at their station in Philadelphia for 17-18 out of the 21 years in existence. The last few years were done in Los Angeles. It was a syndicated show that was most of the time a 60 minute M-F stripped show. Beginning in the mid-1970's, several of the popular talk shows produced both 60 and 90 minute version and each station could pick how long of a show they would air, 60 or 90. Most cities aired it in the afternoons, but there were a few that aired in the evenings on independent stations. Group W did, i believe, wipe some videotapes in the early 1970's. Video Tape was expensive and they were pressured for various reasons to re-use the tape. When we got into the 1980's-1990's things turned around and they were again archiving the tapes.

Part of the reason that I know all of this was that in the early 1980's, I worked for Group W productions on their syndicated talk show Hour Magazine, hosted by Gary Collins. Right around this time Group W ended the runs of Mike Douglas and John Davidson talk shows. Since Hour Magazine was only the current show, we inherited all the old tapes and files from both Mike Douglas and John Davidson shows. I was one of the ones in the research department combining all shows files into the archives. Mike Douglas show files were excessively huge.

Wish their appearance from earlier that year in '65 where they performed Stop in the name of love and Come See About Me would surface. I've seen snippets of it on various talk shows.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Wish their appearance from earlier that year in '65 where they performed Stop in the name of love and Come See About Me would surface. I've seen snippets of it on various talk shows.
    I'm positive this was from Mike Douglas too. Sometime in the spring of 1967. Does anyone remember this or can confirm a date?
    Name:  Mike Douglas Show - 1967.jpg [[1).jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  50.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'm positive this was from Mike Douglas too. Sometime in the spring of 1967. Does anyone remember this or can confirm a date?
    Brad: I believe this is from The Andy Williams Show [[Jan 22, 1967). They Performed Love Is Here, a medley of hits and Let There Be Love [[with Andy).

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Brad: I believe this is from The Andy Williams Show [[Jan 22, 1967). They Performed Love Is Here, a medley of hits and Let There Be Love [[with Andy).
    This isn't from the Andy Williams Show. When they sang STOP! [[as part of the hits medley) on his show, they were all on the same level of the stage, unlike the photo above.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    That photo first showed up in the 1974 "Diana Ross & the Supremes Anthology" in the booklet. Not sure if it was from Mike Douglas, but we had those costumes at the Hitsville Museum in the late 80s.

Wish I knew what that picture was from. Judging by Flo's hairstyle it had to have been May/June '67. I've seen various different shots of that appearance however, one with Diana holding a microphone unlike the picture posted and another where it looks like Berry is coaching them from the side.