[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Motown Remixed

Motown Remixed

This album, consisting of Motown classics remixed by dance and hip-hop producers, was released back in 2005 - and I was wondering if people had bought it and your thoughts on it!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  5.4 KB

Just now I came across an AllMusic review of it, and, well, I haven't read an AllMusic review quite like it before...!!!

Review by Rob Theakston
    "It starts off promising enough, even for the staunchest of soul purists. The beautiful guitar playing of David T. Walker and the bass playing of Wilton Felder interweave around one another free of percussion to create one of the most famous and beautiful intros in all of soul music, the Jackson Five's "I Want You Back." From there, it all goes downhill -- quickly. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here, for Motown has stepped into the dimension of despair otherwise known as "the remix project." With the recent onslaught of abhorrent cash-cow remixes feebly flooding the market in an attempt to introduce young people to classic soul imprints [[see Atlantiquity, Mayfield: Remixed, Blue Note Revisited and the Verve Remixed series for similar crimes of passion), it has become the trend du jour to grant dance and hip-hop producers access to master tapes locked away [[for a good reason, mind you) in vaults or archives. Instead of offering reasonably priced discs of the classic works; instead of offering up single MP3s on Internet purchasing stations; instead of coming up with creative new deluxe editions of these classic works, all that is left is the notion that someone, somewhere, thought this trend was a good idea. They should be tarred and feathered. This is, without question, the most ill-conceived and poorly executed project in the history of the Motown label. And coming from a label that released records by Rockwell, that speaks volumes. With the exception of a rare few [[namely one: Jazzy Jeff), many remixers involved in this project have a limited shelf life due to the complete polarization of the timeless classics they've contributed here. Where are all of the quintessential producers of hip-hop and electronic music? Hopefully they had the good sense to gracefully decline invitations to this project, knowing what kind of car crash was eventually bound to ensue. Or perhaps, like most people, they simply knew better and realized that it's nearly impossible to improve upon near-perfection. Indeed, the first two "remixes" on Motown Remixed -- "I Want You Back" and "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" -- are saved only by furious bass playing and the impassioned vocal performances found in the original tapes. Their bleak, bare-bones production suggests a half-hearted effort on the part of their remixers, who were quite obviously only in it for the money. Or conversely, perhaps they realized [[after signing the contract) an important childhood lesson: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Of all these remixers, King Britt has unquestionably turned into the Joey Bishop of the remix rat pack. Not really famous for much else other than the fact he was the DJ for Digable Planets, he's appeared on every single one of the aforementioned remix series albums in an attempt to solidify his place in soul music history as a quintessential remixer. He's failed, miserably. His "remix" here of Edwin Starr's politically potent and groundbreaking [[for the candy coated, "nothing's-wrong-stay-apolitical" Motown) "War" is nothing but an insipid Femi Kuti rip-off that strips away all passion and ferocity from the original. Britt should be grounded from his mixing board and his studio until he learns his lesson and stops making horrible remixes. Or at least until he has the good sense to go back and retool his mediocre Sylk 130 project. Even worse, though, is the treatment of Smokey Robinson's beautifully manic "Tears of a Clown." It's turned into a shopping-mall-happy, big-beat explosion. And why on earth would anyone want to listen to an inferior version of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" hopelessly reworked by DJ Spinna, when the original is still as sensual and near-perfect over three decades later? It's a bit like having your child go off to an Ivy League school to learn how to flip burgers. Vapid, khaki-wearing soccer moms in mini vans may find this stuff appealing, and record executives might find this stuff trend setting, kitschy, and groundbreaking, but for music fans both diehard and casual it's an insult to a legacy. It's the desecration of a song that has endured the test of time to become one of the most important tomes in African-American culture. It's worse than sacrilege or blasphemy -- and Harry Weinger should seriously re-evaluate the mental health and stability of the people surrounding him who told him this project was a good idea. Other than that, it's OK. Sort of. Whatever."

LOL
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 02-06-2017 at 12:29 AM.

Wow, why doesn't the reviewer tell us how they really feel? Seriously, though, I tend to mostly agree about the majority of this set; most of the remixes were gratuitous and unimaginative. One redeeming aspect is the use of some unusual master-tape vocal elements [[e.g. Stevie's impassioned "Hell, yeah!" near the end of "Signed, Sealed, and Delivered"). Other than that, meh.

There were several different versions of vol.1 all over the world:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motown_Remixed
    The UK version has:
    "Stoned Love" [[A Tom Moulton Mix) – The Supremes
    which is quite good!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Wow, why doesn't the reviewer tell us how they really feel? Seriously, though, I tend to mostly agree about the majority of this set; most of the remixes were gratuitous and unimaginative. One redeeming aspect is the use of some unusual master-tape vocal elements [[e.g. Stevie's impassioned "Hell, yeah!" near the end of "Signed, Sealed, and Delivered"). Other than that, meh.
    Yea, I thought the remixed version of Stevie's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" was quite good. Overall I don't dislike the album but this is because of the songs, i.e. they are so good, they can't be bad!! Hearing them in a different, remixed version can be great first time you hear them but I reckon over multiple listens I'd revert back to the originals.

And that reviewer - LOL. I wish he hadn't sugar coated it so much.

I am a fan of the remix as long as it's done well but I can't say too many were done well on the Motown Remix project. There were only a couple of remixes that I enjoyed on Volume 1. I bought Volume 2 and I thought the remixes on that one were a bit better. Tom Moulton's Stone Love remix was by far one of the best in this series and should have appeared on the US cd.

I bought the version from the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I bought the version from the UK.
    Marv, did you like it?

there were some really good ones and a few were just ok. Stoned Love was good. I think there were outakes that were not used.
    I think there was a volume 2 that was not as good. I did like Dancing Machine.

I would love Tom Moulton to do a whole Motown Remixed album. Imagine what he could do to tracks like Reflections, Bernadette, Nathan Jones etc.

If I had access to all the sessions I wanted, I think I could churn out some great mixes. Tom Moulton is still king. Motown Remixed was an overall disappointment, and I was the target demographic back then

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    I would love Tom Moulton to do a whole Motown Remixed album. Imagine what he could do to tracks like Reflections, Bernadette, Nathan Jones etc.
    agreed, I am surprised he hasn't been tapped to do one but I do know he did a few other mixes including Love Hangover

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Marv, did you like it?
    Yes for the most part it was good. It has been a while since I listened to it. I particularly liked what they did to Gladys Knight & the Pips "I Heard it Through the Grapevine", the Supremes "Stoned Love" and few others. Some I was disappointed in. Around this time I had bough Verve- The Remixes and it was absolutely wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxm5j--OaP4
    Tom Moulton mix of Love Hangover

Yes for the most part it was good. It has been a while since I listened to it. I particularly liked what they did to Gladys Knight & the Pips "I Heard it Through the Grapevine", the Supremes "Stoned Love" and few others. Some I was disappointed in. Around this time I had bough Verve- The Remixes and it was absolutely wonderful.
    I agree about the Verve remixes.As regards the Motown effort it was generally better than i had feared. STONED LOVE was the real gem in my opinion.I honestly don't know why it wasn't featured on International versions.I also would love to hear Tom Moulton tackle more Motown tunes. There may be a problem with licensing because he has expressed a desire to do so.

I agree, Marv. The Verve Remixes were much better than the remixes on the Motown series. I still play the Verve Remixed cd's.

I enjoyed Volume 1 so much that I had to get Volume 2 and Volume 3 and the 12'' singles that accompanied these releases.

They are all great In my hears

I bought the UK version of this [[which is worth the money for Tom Moulton's remix of "Stoned Love" as others have already suggested). The "Stoned Love" remix keeps quite close to the original 1970 single and so is, I suppose, very accessible for Motown traditionalists like me.

Some of the other remixes stray a long way away from the original single versions and one or two of them don't quite work for me. My favourite would have to be "My World Is Empty Without You", which has a very bleak sound in tune with the lyrical content.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    I enjoyed Volume 1 so much that I had to get Volume 2 and Volume 3 and the 12'' singles that accompanied these releases.

They are all great In my hears
    There were also some iTunes only downloads which accompanied the set.

I love Motown for what it is not what someone else can do to it.....i stay well clear of anything remixed on Motown....you cant improve on perfection.

Some of the remixes on
    Diana Extended: The Remixes,
    were quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    I love Motown for what it is not what someone else can do to it.....i stay well clear of anything remixed on Motown....you cant improve on perfection.
    I agree I dont count John Perrone's extended versions as remixes.

Of course, there will be exceptions - Tom Moulton's Stoned Love is one of them but even that one still retains most of the original.

Some of those "mash ups" are quite good though

There are a few "mash ups" around that are pure genius but they dont actually tamper with the "Motown sound"....the one thats been done with Marvin and The Marvelettes is just like it was actually recorded together pure magic...the Tammi and Temptations one is also good but needs a bit of tweaking and shortening in length...i would love to hear some of the Los Angeles recorded tracks with the Detroit band tracks dubbed in...ie..The Supremes tracks from A Go Go with the original band tracks...there is a version of "shake me wake me" that someone has done but its awful.