[REMOVE ADS]

Question Info on a few rare detroit 45's

Hello everyone, Steven here from Westland MI.

I wanted to reach out to you folks and see if anyone has any information regarding a few Detroit records. I am looking for any type of info and/or leads on who might have some of these. Seems almost impossible to find any info on these.... Please let me know if you have any info or whereabouts.. I would love to purchase if possible. Thanks a million everyone.

Invasion Records
    1001 – J J Barnes - My Baby / You're Still My Baby – 1969/1970?

Mah's Records
    [[000.1 X 45) The Egyptians - The Party Stomp / Inkster Boogie

Mickay’s Records
    7670 L.B. TULLY Unknown Girl/ Lonely

Mickay's Records

Big George - I Love You Yes I Do / Hi Ho Silver - 1963

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  21.1 KB
    Three of those 4 records are dead rare. I'm not even sure if the L.B. Tully was pressed up. I've never seen one, nor heard of anyone having it. It may have only been an assigned number and slated, but cancelled before pressing. I think I saw the Big George in a Detroit collector's collection 40+ years ago, but never heard it. The Egyptians "Inkster Boogie", an instrumental, was on black labeled Mahs from 1959, and was fairly common. I think it had a lot of airplay, and charted in Detroit. I had a few Detroit collector friends that had it. Ron Murphy was one. He's deceased now. I don't know who got his records.

J.J. Barnes on Invasion must be quite rare. I've only seen one scan of it, and never seen a copy in circulation. But, I don't really collect '70s records. I think it is actually from 1973 or 1974, rather than 1969/70, as I never saw it in circulation, and was still looking heavily for records in USA and Canada in 1970-mid 1972, before moving to Holland. And I also didn't like its sound much, so it must be later. I most likely would have liked a J.J. Barnes recording from 1969, as I liked his Magic Touch single.

The L.B. Tully may not necessarily be from the contiguous main run of Mickay's Records, as, I believe it may have been pressed, if at all, in the 1970s. It may also have been a completely different "Mickay's Records" from that run by Fred Brown and Joe Hunter [[and not from Detroit). I'm just guessing on this, but I think I've seen that record as being listed from the 1970s. Brown and Hunter's Mickay's Records ended their run in 1965 [[as I remember).

Name:  LB Tully 45.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  62.1 KB
    Hey Rob here is a scan from a popsike page. This is where I even seen that this record exists. I was thinking it might be different companies but Mel Anton and Brohun productions so it must be the Detroit based label Mickay's.

As far as the Big George - I Love You Yes I Do / Hi Ho Silver - 1963 I think I seen a scan of it somewhere and it was pink. I could be wrong though, maybe I was just dreaming it up haha. It has to be around it is listed on soulfulkindamusic's discog. I can only wish to stumble onto at least one of these three, or run into someone who has one to part with.

Quote Originally Posted by djsproductions View Post
    Name:  LB Tully 45.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  62.1 KB
    Hey Rob here is a scan from a popsike page. Mel Anton and Brohun productions so it must be the Detroit based label Mickay's.
    As far as the Big George - I Love You Yes I Do / Hi Ho Silver - 1963 I think I seen a scan of it somewhere and it was pink. I could be wrong though, maybe I was just dreaming it up haha. It has to be around it is listed on soulfulkindamusic's discog.
Views: 307
    Yes, clearly the L.B. Tully is the same Mickay's owned by Fred Brown. Yes, The Big George was pink. I saw it, too. That AP 7670 is the American Pressing Plant's pressing code number. I'd bet that the flip side is AP 7671. I think that number is a late '60s number [[perhaps 1967?). So, there might have been a 2 year gap between the last orange Mickay's release and this one. I wonder if J. Jamison is really James Jamerson [[partly disguised)?

Hi Rob, I also thought that the Jamison name could be the incredible bassman Jamerson, I am trying to find out where I seen the Jamison name a while back on a blog or deeper in the soulful detroit archives perhaps. I will let you know if I procure anything. I wonder if Mel Anton has any other tracks besides the ones we have on Kable, Mickay's and the White Top Recording 45 audio I sent you.

Hey Rob have you seen this video of Rose Batiste on youtube doing the cover of Jimmy Gilford? OMG it is incredible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx4Xd83lDy0

Quote Originally Posted by djsproductions View Post
    Hey Rob have you seen this video of Rose Batiste on youtube doing the cover of Jimmy Gilford? OMG it is incredible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx4Xd83lDy0
Views: 305
    No, I hadn't seen that before. But, the tape must have come from Don Davis' stash. he was like Motown, in that so many of his Groovesville recordings remained in the can, and he, like them, recorded almost everyone in Detroit.

Thank you for that bit of info. I really enjoy the Groovesville label as well. JJ, Melvin and Steve Mancha all are incredible people. I recently did a google search on a some Detroit studios and a lot of them are rubble now. I am glad that they have refurbished the United Sound System Recording Studio.http://www.unitedsounddetroit.com/