[REMOVE ADS]

Kim Weston's career as a disc jockey in Detroit

Kim Weston did a stint as a radio personality at WCHB. She later did a stint at WHND AM 56 Honey Radio. Very little information is available about these two stages of her career.

I am interested in learning what time parameter she was a disc jockey at Honey Radio WHND AM 56. Does anyone know what years she was employed by them?

I wish someone would write a book about Kim. She was highly successful in the early 1960's in the United Kingdom, far more than here. I have always felt she was overlooked here in the USA.

What do other members think?

I don't know anything about her ever being a disc jockey, woodward, but Kim Weston has remained one of my all-time favorite Motown artists, as has Brenda Holloway. Since Motown's 1960's heyday, their records were every bit as important to me as The Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas, and The Marvelettes. Why Kim didn't have more hits remains one of the mysteries of the 20th Century. God knows, her Tamla and Gordy recordings were top-notch. And not even one solo album of her own! Go figure! It makes no sense. Motown surely moved in mysterious ways!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-30-2017 at 03:38 AM.

Kim was at honey radio only a short while. I think her name was the "honey babe"; she was there about a year. I would imagine she was frustrated, as Honey Radio was really into Elvis and the early 60's teen idols. The rumor was she left, as she wanted to play a more wide open format like CKLW did in the 60's. I rarely heard any 60's garage or psychedelic music. They played Motown, but played more Elvis, Beatles and the British Invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Kim was at honey radio only a short while. I think her name was the "honey babe"; she was there about a year. I would imagine she was frustrated, as Honey Radio was really into Elvis and the early 60's teen idols. The rumor was she left, as she wanted to play a more wide open format like CKLW did in the 60's. I rarely heard any 60's garage or psychedelic music. They played Motown, but played more Elvis, Beatles and the British Invasion.
    Thanks. I am glad someone remembers her. I am making an educated guess that she was there in the early 1990's - can you make a rough guess what year she was employed there? Thanks.

Hi woodward, I think Kim was on towards the end of honey radio's run, which would have been in the early to mid 90's. I'm also trying to recall - I think that she was on the air only on Sundays. But she was not on the air every day because I would have listened to her every day. I found it odd that she was only on weekly for a limited time. It all seemed kind of strange to me, if they wanted a ratings increase, why not have her on every day? [[But I also think she was touring at the time so sometimes she would be on the air on Sundays, sometimes not.)

By making an inquiry on the Detroit Yes forum, a member provided me with some detailed information on Kim Weston's broadcasting history on Honey Radio.

On April 11, 1993, the Detroit Free Press had an article about her show. It only lasted two motnsh because she was going to have a syndicated variety show on TV to be taped in Detroit.

Excerpts from the brief article:

On the air: Motown star . . . will spin classic pop tunes and conduct celebrity interviews with old friend like Smokey Robinson. Her show debuts 7-10 tonight at 560 on the AM brand. . . .

Then a subsequent article from the Free Press on March 17, 1994 states: Why leave Detroit, a mecca of entertainment, and go somewhere else? in announcing her new syndicated variety program The Kim Weston Show. The answer is, because few Detroiters are interested. Manager William Barron says Weston plans to move the show to Washington, DC after only [B]NINE[B] of 2,200 seats available at the State Theatre were sold for the premier show. All nine of you can get refunds where you bought the tickets.

This in my opinion is totally unbelievable because in the early 1960's she was extremely popular in the United Kingdom. It's a shame she never reached that success here.

It's a shame nobody knows how she is doing these days after the dismal report that was published several months ago on the forum.