[REMOVE ADS]

Black radio talks of boycotting chrisette michelle for inauguration performance

After news hit that R&B singer Chrisette Michelle would be performing at the inauguration, the black media and population was in an uproar. Questlove of The Roots offered to pay her NOT to perform. Spike Lee took it even further by pulling her song "Black Girl Magic" as the theme song for his upcoming Netflix series "She's Gotta Have It" [[based on his critically acclaimed movie).

Yesterday I was listening to the DL Hugley radio show and he was saying that he had no plans to play her music again and that other dj's across the country were planning to ban the singer. Is this extreme or warranted by the singer?

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    After news hit that R&B singer Chrisette Michelle would be performing at the inauguration, the black media and population was in an uproar. Questlove of The Roots offered to pay her NOT to perform. Spike Lee took it even further by pulling her song "Black Girl Magic" as the theme song for his upcoming Netflix series "She's Gotta Have It" [[based on his critically acclaimed movie).

Yesterday I was listening to the DL Hugley radio show and he was saying that he had no plans to play her music again and that other dj's across the country were planning to ban the singer. Is this extreme or warranted by the singer?
    No it is not extreme. She asked for it! There are a lot of singers that could have used the money, but refused to perform or even attend. She got her money, now she can just go away......

I'm totally out of the loop on some of these newbies..is she any good?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    She's a good neo-soul singer with a Badu-esque vibe. Too bad this decision has torpedoed her.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    She's aiight, but does not have the stuff that legends are made of. She grew up just a few miles from me on Long Island. Still I have no affinity towards her and what she's done!

Chrisette Michelle has been around for about 10 years now. While I haven't been crazy about
    all of her work, aesthetically, she always had a better voice and more musical ability than
    Mary J Blidge had when she first came out of the box years ago. She's grown a lot too. Still
    she's young and young people can, do and will make mistakes. This, I admit, was a BIG one
    but at least she's not championing Dump like some fools; can anybody say Stacey Dash?...
    I like Spike Lee and understand why folks would attack her to make a point but I've seen other black entertainers do worst things against the people and get a pass...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Chrisette Michelle has been around for about 10 years now. While I haven't been crazy about
    all of her work, aesthetically, she always had a better voice and more musical ability than
    Mary J Blidge had when she first came out of the box years ago. She's grown a lot too. Still
    she's young and young people can, do and will make mistakes. This, I admit, was a BIG one
    but at least she's not championing Dump like some fools; can anybody say Stacey Dash?...
    I like Spike Lee and understand why folks would attack her to make a point but I've seen other black entertainers do worst things against the people and get a pass...
    Like when Ben Vereen performed in black-face for a Reagan-Bush Inauguration.

I'm not a Chrisette fan and think she made a very bad move, but boycotting her is rather extreme, IMO. If we're going to go that route, we need to do that for every recording artist who has done unpopular or just downright wrong things.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'm not a Chrisette fan and think she made a very bad move, but boycotting her is rather extreme, IMO. If we're going to go that route, we need to do that for every recording artist who has done unpopular or just downright wrong things.
    We should. Oftentimes our loudest voice is through commerce. Why support so-called artists who are too dumb or indifferent to politely decline to perform for a regressive political regime? I won't reward stupidity with my hard-earned money. There are many thoughtful, responsible artists who want to uplift and enlighten through music. Others just want to make a buck. She should suffer the consequences of her ill-advised actions just as well all do, she's not special because she won a Grammy.

I'm glad to hear about the boycott. I hope to hear that Steve Harvey, Kanye West, and the others who act like a president who has White supremacists as key advisors "should be given a chance" also suffer financially for their gross indifference to the welfare of their biggest supporters. Trump's received his chance and surrounded himself with people who would be happy to put their asses on a slow boat to Africa.

I'm sure it won't long. The same thing happen when the Godfather endorsed Nixon in '72. Then he dropped the "Big Payback" album and all was forgiven. Chrisette hasn't had a hit in like 7 years and was just as desperate for a check as Trump was for entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I'm sure it won't long. The same thing happen when the Godfather endorsed Nixon in '72. Then he dropped the "Big Payback" album and all was forgiven. Chrisette hasn't had a hit in like 7 years and was just as desperate for a check as Trump was for entertainment.
    Hmmm. Did you just compare the Godfather of Soul [["Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud") to a singer whose greatest renown is due to appearing on a televised minstrel show [["R&B Divas: LA")?