[REMOVE ADS]

Nona Hendryx at Women's March in D.C.

For those that saw Ashley Judd's dramatic reading of that incendiary yet compelling poem at the Women's March in D.C., wasn't the woman directly behind her on the bandstand Nona Hendryx? One third of Labelle, and the brilliant queer African-american singer/songwriter who gave us "Let Me See You In The Light", "I Believe That I Finally Made It Home" and "Black Holes In The Sky" among other gems. I can only wonder what she was thinking -- 72 years old, 50+ years into her professonal/artistic life -- having to march in the streets [[again!) for sh*t she thought she had locked down 4 decades ago. Or maybe she's just a warrior, always ready to lend her art and energy to the cause. A woman's work is never done...

Name:  Nona1.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  35.8 KB
    Name:  Nona2.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  30.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Yep, that's Miss Hendryx, all right! I yelled out "NONA!" when I saw this footage. When I saw this thread, I got excited...I thought it was video of her performing.

I crossed paths with her in NYC about 5 years ago. She was dressed down, baseball-cap-and-sweats-style [[to which my sister quipped, "Then how the heck did you recognize her?"). She was walking pretty purposefully, so I didn't disturb her...still thrilling to be in her presence!
    Last edited by sansradio; 01-25-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Did Nona perform at the March? Would love to see that.

Here you go!!!