[REMOVE ADS]

I like it like that-two versions

Ok maybe i'm late to the party,but is there anyone else here who didn't know that there are two versions of this miracles classic? I recently discovered it, smokey and the miracles forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Ok maybe i'm late to the party,but is there anyone else here who didn't know that there are two versions of this miracles classic? I recently discovered it, smokey and the miracles forever!!
    Discovered it where?

On the miracles greatest hits from the beginning lp,but here's the kicker...the original version is on the lp with the old tamla lable,if you have the one with the newer tamla lable then you have the more popular version..if you don't listen carefully then you won't hear the different way it's recorded,nothing earth shattering but the first is more than likely the original recording i'm sorry that i don't have the setup for playing on my computer but someone here i'm sure has it.

Could it simply be a difference between stereo and mono LPs? How does it compare to the Complete Motown Singles Volume 4?

DFTMC lists only one version but shows a new stereo mix on one of the later compilations.

I don't think it's stereo vs.mono that makes it different,it's the way they sing it,i haven't heard the singles vol.4 so i can't comment on it.

It is a mono v stereo difference, and they are two completely different recordings.

The version they used for the 45 and mono LPs no longer exists in multi-track form. All that survives of that recording is various mono mixes, and that means that that version can never be remixed for stereo now. There's only one multi-track of "I Like It Like That" in existence, and that's the version that was mixed for the stereo "From The Beginning" double LP and used for all stereo LPs subsequently. A new mix of that "alternate" version was made for the "Ooo Baby Baby" anthology in 2002.

There are a number of similar cases for recordings made before the introduction of 8 track recording at Motown in 1965, where the mono and stereo versions of a song are quite different recordings for the same reason.
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 01-19-2017 at 06:12 AM.

I seem to recall including the alternate version on Miracles - Lost And Found. I hadn't heard it until that time.

Keith...

Just to clarify in my mind....

Whenever 'I Like It Like That' has been released on CD in mono, it generally is exactly the same version as used for the original 45 and mono LP vinyl releases ; for example, TML 11001 'A Collection of 16 Big Tamla Motown Hits'?

If so, are you able to quote at least one release where a different mix of that original was used? Just for interest, I'll also check out the Miracles 'Lost and Found' CD, and see if I agree with Theboyfromxtown.....

The version on "Along Came Love" is the stereo version as used on "From The Beginning", according to the booklet annotations. I'm not aware that any alt mono mixes have ever appeared, and not sure that I could tell if they had!

Oh well, if you couldn't tell, then that's good enough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    it is a mono v stereo difference, and they are two completely different recordings.

The version they used for the 45 and mono lps no longer exists in multi-track form. All that survives of that recording is various mono mixes, and that means that that version can never be remixed for stereo now. There's only one multi-track of "i like it like that" in existence, and that's the version that was mixed for the stereo "from the beginning" double lp and used for all stereo lps subsequently. A new mix of that "alternate" version was made for the "ooo baby baby" anthology in 2002.

There are a number of similar cases for recordings made before the introduction of 8 track recording at motown in 1965, where the mono and stereo versions of a song are quite different recordings for the same reason.
    thanks keith.

Is it the same reasoning, Keith for Martha's "I'll Have To Let Him Go" in which she sings "I'll have to let him go" in one version and "I've Got to let him go" in another?

That's right, mysterysinger. And the reason for there being two versions of the Contours' "Do You Love Me".

But I don't know why there are different takes of "Too Proud To Cry" on the mono and stereo versions of Brenda's LP. There are multi-track tapes of both. My guess is they picked the wrong one for the stereo LP - ironic, as it's the mono, the one doubtless picked as "best" when the album was first compiled, that's now the rarity: it's never been re-issued, as far as I know.

And while we're at it [[I expect lots of people know these points but a few may not):

* there's no true stereo version of Brenda's "Every Little Bit Hurts" because there is no multi-track tape AT ALL [[probably it was mixed in CA and they never sent the m/t to Detroit)

* there's no stereo of the Temptations' "Say You" as the Monitors overdubbed their vocals on the only multi-track tape

And probably there are lots more I can't think of right now ...
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 01-19-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    That's right, mysterysinger. And the two versions of "Do You Love Me", discussed in another thread here,

And while we're at it [[I expect lots of people know this but a few may not):

* there's no stereo of Brenda's "Every Little Bit Hurts" because there is no multi-track tape for it all

* there's no stereo of the Temptations' "Say You" as the Monitors overdubbed their vocals on the multi-track tape

And probably there are lost more I can't think of right now ...
    Oh wow, I never knew that...! I had wondered with "Every Little Bit Hurts" especially... Thanks Keith

Trust Keith to know the answers [[thank you). But the anorak in me finds this type of thing fascinating lol.